Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Well, Bill, I guess this is what part of this thread is for ...to see what everybody does to confirm that the bars are locked.

I never really paid attention to it. I just assumed that they locked once I straightened out and got moving in a straight line. That's what they're supposed to do ...lock themselves once underway in a straight line.

However, it sounds like Arne took off in a sharp turn before one of the bars was locked and that's how he damaged his tow bar.

If the bars are both extended fully, I guess we have to assume that they are locked. That's what is supposed to happen.

Or, Blaster has a good idea, listen through your rear monitor to see if you can hear them "click" into place.

I don't know if I want to back the toad to make them lock into place. In fact, I'm sure when the guy that installed my plates gave me the instructions on how the tow bar works, he said that they would automatically lock into place once I straighten out the coach. He said that was one of the great features of the new "all-terrain" tow bars. He never mentioned backing the toad to lock the bar.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How does one know for sure that the tow bar is locked? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The levers will be in the up position when the tow bar arms are locked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, on my Roadmaster Falcon II, the levers are always in the down position whether they're locked or not.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Rocco,
I do believe you have hit the nail right on the head. I was semi fat, dumb an happy just toolin along without a clue. This forum is such a great thingie. Without it I shudder to think of all the things that could really make a RV trip a real nightmare. Thanks for alla youse and your very helpful replies.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I never back my toad up to lock the arms....I always drive my motorhome forward to lock the arms and sometimes make a turn before both are locked.

This is the first I have EVER heard of backing up the dingy to lock the arms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always back the dinghy up to lock the tow bars and it has always worked great.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #25
I helped | retired moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">on my Roadmaster Falcon II, the levers are always in the down position whether they're locked or not </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK. I didn't know Roadmaster's, or at least your model is like that.

I quoted and was replying to Codgerbill, who posted he has a Blue Ox.

Once again we see the consistent inconsistency in the RV world.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I have the Excali-Bar from Demco and always thought (was told) pulling MH forward was the proper way. Reading this post I went to Demco website and current instructions say to back up toad. No mention of pulling forward. Found my owner's manual and those instructions say back up but also included an alternate method of pulling forward.

Although I can hear the click thru the rear monitor, DW is outside and verifies the locking and rotation of toad tires.

Backing up would make life easier at times. Think I'll try it.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Backing up would make life easier at times. Think I'll try it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think the tow bar knows the difference.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Codgerbill asked....
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How does one know for sure that the tow bar is locked? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you promise not to ask how I know, I'll tell you.. OK, I got your promise!! If your toad shows up in your side mirror, while you are going straight down the road, the arm on that side is probably NOT locked ...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Oh, sorry about that, Dirk. I wasn't paying attention to the order of the posts in the thread.

That's a great feature on the Blue Ox if the lever is in a different position when locked than when not.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh, sorry about that, Dirk. I wasn't paying attention to the order of the posts in the thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No worries mate!

Some threads are just like any campfire conversation, drifting on and off topic.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

The Roadmaster Sterlings have levers that are parallel to the bar when locked, and noticeably canted when not. I always cringed watching someone back-up the toad to lock those for the stress on the bar. I usually drive forward and wag the coach till the toad isn't floating around back there., then get out and double check.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I always cringed watching someone back-up the toad to lock those for the stress on the bar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you feel this stresses the tow bar?

I don't understand how the tow bar would be stressed more by backing the toad than by moving the coach forward.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Another thing to look out for is frozen locks. I pulled off once when the weather was below freezing and the locks on my Falcon 2 didn't latch. I noticed the toad trying to pass as we were pulling out of the campground. Both locks were frozen and I had to pour hot water on the latches to get them to lock up. I pay more attention to what the toad is doing as I start to pull off each morning.

Just another experience on the RV learning curve....
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I always cringed watching someone back-up the toad to lock those for the stress on the bar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you feel this stresses the tow bar?

I don't understand how the tow bar would be stressed more by backing the toad than by moving the coach forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There's a big difference between backing up, having one side lock, the turning the wheel (sometimes not), stressing the already locked side that the toad, now under power is pivioting around to get the other side locked.. (deep breath)... than simply driving forward and letting it lock on it's own. I would rather pull a 4000lb rolling load into submission than using a 25000lb+ MH as an anchor and pulling against that. Are those normal loads? No, can they happen? Sure. I just don't want to be doing it on purpose.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Well, we pull our MH forward while pushing the brake activation button in the MH. Works everytime.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

I have a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and after making the connection to the car I back up the car until one side locks. I then slowly drive the coach forward with the better half watching to other lever. When the second lever drops and locks she raised her hand. This has worked well for six years.
Dick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:27 AM   #37

It's clear that we all have different methods of locking the tow bar arms, and these various methods work well for each of us.

One thing I will add is I believe pulling the MH ahead quickly to lock the arms would stress the tow bar as well as backing the toad quickly.

IMHO, pulling the MH forward gently or backing the toad gently makes no difference on the tow bar.

It seems that several of us will just have to agree to disagree on this.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:02 AM   #38
Administrator Emeritus

Blue OX SAYS PULL MOTOR HOME FORWARD
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:10 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

I hook up and then pull forward, with my DW watching to confirm everything locks into place and the toad is freewheeling.

Then I slow down enough to give her a chance to jump into an open storage bay and let her out at the next fuel stop.

Results in a safe towing situation and an unusually quiet ride.

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:30 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

On my Blue Ox tow bar, the latches are sleeves that pull back to unlock the bar, if the red ring is visible, it is not locked. From the damage described, it probally was from backing up even a small amount at a bad angle. You get in a tight spot and don't even think about it when trying to get out. Though one other thing could do it, is the tow bar relatively level with the hitch? if it is too high or low, the toad could have tried to run up under the MH. I have to use a drop hitch on mine because the receiver is so high on my MH.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote