Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2020, 07:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I am not going to do this, but ...

Our car (a 2018 Honda Fit automatic) can not be flat towed so I am getting ready for the first trip with our new tow dolly. While I was thinking about the best way to setup the car on the dolly I asked myself why the car could not be flat towed. My understanding is that the problem is that towing an automatic without a transfer case (like in a Jeep) will damage the automatic transmission (because the engine is not running?), but then could the car be flat towed if I started the engine, put it in neutral and then flat towed it?

I am not going to do this. I don't have any of the flat tow equipment - no tow bar, no brake assist and no tow kit on the car itself - but I wondered if the engine was running and the transmission was in neutral why it could not be flat towed.

Obviously if the engine quit while towing it like that it would probably ruin the transmission, but that just begs a second question.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
Site Team

Absolutely not.
No.
Nope.
Not really.
Sorry no.
Yikes, no.
Nadda chance.

So Mike, the answer would be... no.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
So Mike, the answer would be... no.
I think that the thrust of your comment is that it is a bad idea ...

OK. But why? I am not questioning your statement. I am sure it is right, but I don't understand why.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
RVCalypso

AJMike, I have done survaillence (stakeouts) for years. It would be nice to run the car (A/C) in the summer in Phoenix but we can't. The reason when you idle a car is excessive idling can damage your engine's components, including spark plugs, cylinders and exhaust systems. Because your vehicle's engine is not operating at its peak temperature when idling, fuel is only partially combusted, leading to a fuel residue buildup on cylinder walls, according to e3Sparkplugs.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Your car has many systems and subsystems that run when the car is running. Electric steering is one - that would be energized and when flat towing that would be an issue. Also, your brakes would have vacuum assist from a running engine and that would not work with any supplemental braking system.

The transmission in an automatic Fit is a CVT. These don't actually have gears, but a system of belts and pulleys. There is not one vehicle with a CVT that is flat towable behind a motor home. Not one.

I can only guess that there are probably a number of other reasons - here's one, the mileage on the odometer would probably register all the towed miles, too. And that's something no one wants in a toad.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

OK. That explains it. As I wrote I had no intention of doing this, nor did I have any of the equipment. I was just curious.

Spent some time this morning getting familiar with using the tow dolly and then made a short trip to make sure the old Honda would still run after being towed on the dolly.

Thanks to both of you for scratching that little itch in my mind.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Your car has many systems and subsystems that run when the car is running. Electric steering is one - that would be energized and when flat towing that would be an issue. Also, your brakes would have vacuum assist from a running engine and that would not work with any supplemental braking system.

The transmission in an automatic Fit is a CVT. These don't actually have gears, but a system of belts and pulleys. There is not one vehicle with a CVT that is flat towable behind a motor home. Not one.

I can only guess that there are probably a number of other reasons - here's one, the mileage on the odometer would probably register all the towed miles, too. And that's something no one wants in a toad.
Did this change? My 2009 fit can be flat towed.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
Is your 2009 Fit a manual or an automatic?

The 2019 Fit can be flat towed if it is a manual but not if it is an automatic.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
Different years have different transmissions. Some newer models a
Have CVT transmissions which are not flat towable. The only way to determine, for sure, if a vehicle is flat-towable is the vehicles Owners Manual.

If your 2009 Fix is flat-towable then it is detailed in your Owner’s Manual.

New models with CVT automatic transmissions are not flat towable.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Different years have different transmissions. Some newer models a
Have CVT transmissions which are not flat towable. The only way to determine, for sure, if a vehicle is flat-towable is the vehicles Owners Manual.

If your 2009 Fix is flat-towable then it is detailed in your Owner’s Manual.

New models with CVT automatic transmissions are not flat towable.
My 2009 is automatic and flat towable. There is a a set of steps I need to follow to put it into a tow mode. Per the owners manual
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I have been towing a 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid with a CVT since it was new. It has over 200,000 miles on it now and many more miles being towed over 8 years without any ill effects on the transmission. The owner's manual gives instructions on flat towing, which I have always followed, so some vehicles with CVT transmissions can be flat towed. You just have to check the owner's manual and follow the instructions.
dlwalters3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Flat tow Honda Fit

I have a 2011 Fit automatic that is flat towable. I’ve been towing it since new. I believe that after 2013 the automatic tranny was no loner flat towable. I love the car, but will be disappointed when i have to replace it with a small Ford or a manual transmission Fit.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

As noted above most automatic transmission cars cannot be flat towed. The reason is that the when the wheels turn they transmit that motion through the differential and then to the transmission. Most automatics drive their ATF pump (which controls shifting) from the engine input shaft. When the transmission is driven from the drive wheels and differential, heat builds up that cannot be removed because the ATF pump and the ATF cooling circuit isn't working. So the transmission overheats and fails after a while.

You can often tow them wheels down but not for far or at high speeds. Wreckers do it all of the time. Maybe some can't be towed at all and they have to be pulled up on a truck bed to move.

I can't really explain why some automatics can be flat towed. I can only guess that maybe the ATF pump is driven from the differential, not the engine. Or maybe there is a mechanical disconnect like the transfer case mentioned above.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

2013 LIncoln MKX, automatic transmission, is flat tow-able.
Only the owners manual will tell, but be careful as sometimes they just change the cover and use last years manual. Check a motorhome towing guide.

Towing Guides
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwalters3 View Post
so some vehicles with CVT transmissions can be flat towed.
Some models of cars with CVTs, yes. But not Honda Fits, nor other Honda’s with CVT transmissions, either. The discussion was talking about Honda’s Fit vehicles.

As I said, and as dlwalters3 said... check your Owner’s Manual.