Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2022, 09:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hybrid toad recommendations

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum, but I'm looking for info and recommendations for a hybrid toad that can be put on a tow dolly.

Here's the background. We have a 2017 sunstar LX 30T with the Triton V-10. We have been towing a 3000# Mini cooper on a 1350# tandem trailer. We want to 1) get rid of the Mini (because it's a fun but seriously expensive and silly youngsters car) and get a small 4 dr. hybrid or plug in hybrid (heavier than the Mini, I'm sure) and 2) we want to use a tow dolly to save some weight from the trailer since the V-10 is doggy over the 8000 ft + mountain passes here in the West.

So, the first problem seems to be that at least some hybrids generate E power from the rear wheels and therefore can't be safely towed on a dolly. Which if any hybrids do not use the rear wheels to generate power? I can start a search from scratch, but I'm sure some of you have been down this road and have that answer plus recommendations. anyone?

If the answer is yes there are tow dolly safe hybrids, what other secondary issues are there for hybrids and hybrids vs. plug in hybrids? (We seldom dry camp, and usually have power at our campgrounds of choice.)

Thank you for any help including directing me to a more appropriate forum.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Most, if not all, pure front wheel drive vehicles… hybrids, PHEVs, EVs, and ICE can be towed on a tow dolly. I see quite a few full EV Chevy Bolts and Nisson Leafs on tow dollys at the campground we stay in in Tucson.

A number of Ford/Lincoln hybrids and PHEVs can even be flat towed, so I’m sure they would work on a tow dolly.

The only hybrids I know that can’t be towed with a tow dolly would be rear wheel drive or all wheel drive.

What models have you found that can’t utilize a tow dolly?

As for other issues with PHEVs and EVs, some campgrounds are beginning to clamp down on car charging in a campsite or using more than one electric outlet at the same time on the power pedestal and some are charging extra for any car charging. Some are adding separate car chargers to campsites and charging for the electricity.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you want to tow a hybrid four down, instead of a dolly, look at the Ford Escape.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for that CP. I was mistakenly under the impression that electricity was generated by the wheels simply turning, but now I see that generation comes from braking, not free wheeling. Hadn't thought that thru. But I'm clear on that now.

So if flat towing is an option for some hybrids I guess I need to pencil out the cost of a tow bar system vs the dolly system, the time/hassle of connecting/disconnecting each. Without having seen a flat tow brake system connection protocol first hand, I'm under the impression there is some adjustment that needs to be made each time and therefore I'm skeptical of the care and time one needs to take to do that correctly. Maybe because I've been a trailer guy for years, I'm thinking a dolly, similar to a trailer is more black and white; the mechanical and electrical connections are obviously correct or they're not, there's not adjustment or judgement needed. Am I blowing that out of proportion?
Old 10-30-2022, 09:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Well… flat tow hook up is super easy and fast. Certainly easier than kneeling down to attach wheel straps on each side of the car on the dolly. And brake adjustment is nothing difficult.

Also, unlike a trailer the dolly doesn’t act the same and can’t be backed - neither can the flat tow. The only thing that behaves like a trailer is a trailer.

Of the newer PHEVs that can be flat towed are the Corsair PHEV and the Escape Hybrid (I don’t know much about the Escape maybe it’s a PHEV, I don’t know). A few years back the Ford C-Max hybrid and PHEV were both flat towable.

As for cost, flat tow equipment might cost as much or more that a tow dolly. My equipment cost about $2,500 installed.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I use the Air Force 1 braking system. A proportional air braking system.

So hook up is:

Safety Cables
Safety break-away cable
Air connection
Light connection

....and off we go.

Some cars require a fuse or two to be pulled and/or battery disconnect.

So much easier than a dolly, in my opinion.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

thank you gentlemen. I think the decisions hinge first on what car we get.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have a 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD and it flat tows great behind my motorhome. You follow a short procedure documented in the owners manual to put the Escape into TOW HAUL mode.

Used a Blue Ox baseplate, tow bar, and 7 to 6 coiled power cable. Only the non plug-in Hybrid can be flat towed, the plug-in hybrid version has stuff mounted where the baseplate needs to go that can't be relocated.

I added a charge line that takes the 14 volt power from the RV available on the 7-way connector to maintain the 12 volt battery charge while flat towing. Without it the Escape battery will run down to where the Escape won't start in about 4-6 hours of flat towing.

I used magnetic towing lights, plugged into a 4-way trailer light connector I stubbed out under the hood due to the difficulty of modifying the Escape internal tail lights to run from the RV.

I used a Blue Ox Patriot Brake Buddy. I run 12 volts and breakaway from under the hood with a cable I store under the hood when not flat towing, due to the difficulty of running cable from under hood to interior. Needs a couple pieces of plywood to make it set right on the floor and to provide a hard surface on the front edge of the front seat for the Brake Buddy to push against.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:19 PM   #9
jeb
Winnebago Camper

We tow our Prius V hybrid on a 2 wheel tow dolly. Works great. Gets very good mileage and has been very reliable. I'd prefer to two 4 down, but we like the Prius V enough that we're not looking to change.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I towed a Prius on a dolly for 7 years. Worked out pretty well. Switched to a 4 down toad, and the gear to do that was more expensive than the dolly, but loading t/unloading much easier.
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 09:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Well I'm not sure this is necessary other than to thank everyone for the input, but we went with a Kia Niro PHEV (plug in hybrid) on a new Roadmaster tow dolly I got for a song (pure luck). We towed the Mini Cooper on the dolly for 3000 miles last month and it worked just fine. I'm expecting the just purchased Kia Niro to hook up and work the same as the Mini.

Tags
toad