Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
New Winnebago owner

How best to bring 2 50cc mopeds behind campervan

Hi all -- I've just acquired a 2010 Era 170X 24' Winnebago, and am wondering what the options are for bringing a couple of gas-powered moped/scooters along with me. I would assume some kind of utility trailer. Do they make those things with racks or fittings to secure two-wheelers? Any general advice on the subject? Thanks!
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:02 AM   #2
Site Team

How much do the mopeds weigh? What's the tongue weight limit of the camper? There are a couple 2-bike (motorcycle) hitch mounted racks that might hold them. https://www.discountramps.com/double...r/p/AMC-600-2/

If you decide to go with a utility trailer, look for something with at least 13" wheels, replacable bearings or axles and a solid deck (the mesh decks are nice and light but eventually will warp as you start tying the mopeds down tighter. You can get front wheel chocks that they will fit into and stand up while you're tying them down. I use a Kendon trailer specifically built to haul motorcycles. It would be overkill for a couple of scooters, but they're pretty nice to use and fold up/stand up for storage.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

At the low-cost end, a Harbor Freight, folding trailer or, if you want to step up, one of the trailers carried by Home Depot or Lowes. I'd rather go the trailer route than load up the rear end of my MH with a hitch mounted rack. The trailer can be used for other purposes as well.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
New Winnebago owner

I'd have to doublecheck, but I think the tongue weight limit is 350 lbs. Together, the steeds weigh about 300 lbs. Plus the weight of the rack...

I think trailer would be best. But I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to secure them in a general utility hauler.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I think trailer would be best. But I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to secure them in a general utility hauler.
That shouldn't be a problem, there are all sorts of tie-down brackets you can install so you can use ratcheting tie-down straps. There are lots of Youtube videos on the topic:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tyin....0.fhB6e_GB5Nc
Old 05-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #6
New Winnebago owner

I see Kendon makes a dedicated 3-scooter folding trailer--very nice! But $3000--urk.

I just checked out Harbor Freight, and was surprised to see that they're located just one town over from me. So I could go look at those in person. Looks like considerable adaptation would be required, though.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you're not much into DIY, and if your bikes will fit in a 5' long trailer, something like this would work with minimal modification:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-Tr...railer/3680952

Longer lengths are available, if necessary.

Add a few tie down points and you're done. You might want to add a bed made of 3/4" exterior plywood to avoid the issue ThomB pointed out regarding mesh decks. Some simple D-rings bolted to the plywood deck would suffice for tie-downs.

Try not to overthink things. Your bikes are lightweight and can be carried by pretty much any small trailer with suitable tie-downs.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Regardless of what trailer you get and then add some d-rings like Bob recommends... I love my tiedowns that have a carabiner. They make loading and unloading much easier. The "soft" strap can be looped over the handle bars or any other hard part to keep the cycles tight. https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Ra.../dp/B083TXZ93N You really only need 3 tiedowns (2 up front and1in the rear to keep the tire from bouncing around when loaded.)
This would help to keep thefront tires in place. https://www.amazon.com/Mytee-Product...%2C182&sr=8-23
Old 05-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #9
New Winnebago owner

That's all great information. Thanks. The utility trailer at Lowes looks good, except that I think I'll need a folding option. I have very little space for storing when not in use.

I'll also need to carry two jerry cans. One steed uses straight gas and the other uses 2-stroke premix. I don't think I'd want to carry those inside the RV, so I guess I'd need to find a secure way to lash them onto the trailer. Are there safety regulations (or best practices) about carrying gasoline?
Old 05-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
Site Team

You could probably put a deck on this trailer https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2544_200612544
One thing that I would do is see about upgrading to a larger diameter tire. 12 inch tires just don't do highways for long distances too good.
Also consider bearing buddies for whatever you choose. That way you're not constantly disassembling for grease.
As for gas cans I'd say just secure them as good as you can. (a tiedown through the handle and maybe another holding them from falling. Maybe wedge it against a tire or mount.
The front tire holder I showed earlier comes in a model that makes it removable or in a track. They are more expensive but would almost be a requirement on a trailer with no sides to it. it gives you a front anchor point for the tires to be tied down. My Kendon trailer has them that will "grip" the front tire to hold the bike in place so I could tie the bike down myself if needed.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #11
2018 2108DS

VersaHaul makes a double motorcycle carrier
Andy_XY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We're building a cargo extension that uses Gennygo brackets that clamp on the bumper. We'll have cedar decking. Probably. It'll hold our bikes, firewood, gas can, and things like that that just don't fit well in our 20' micro Minnie.
Lemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Depending on the weight of the mopeds, you might look at hitch mounted "E" bike carriers and the weight rating's. I have a feeling that the mopeds are about the same weight as the e bikes.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Most motorscooters weigh considerable more than e-bikes. E-bike weights range from 22 to 70 lbs per bike. True mopeds are now powered by electric motors and this offers the advanatage of not having to store gasoline in the RV or with the bikes. There are excellent "commuter" e-bikes selling for less than $3,000 and weighing under 45 lbs. including those from Radpower in Seattle.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:36 PM   #15
New Winnebago owner

I just saw some of these replies. Re weight, our mopeds together weigh close to 300 lbs., and the manual lists the tongue max weight at 500 lbs. Add in the weight of a rack, and factor in some allowance for "bounce," and that starts to feel pretty close to the max.

In addition to the weight, what about the cantilever effect of having all the weight hanging some distance out from the hitch? Seems like that should be factored in, but I've never seen any guidance on that.

Also, what are bearing buddies?
Old 05-27-2021, 10:53 PM   #16
New Winnebago owner

Actually, I found part of my answer, about the leverage effect of having the load extended out from the hitch: https://www.etrailer.com/question-239785.html

It matters. A lot.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:45 AM   #17
Big Blue

i would look into a product called Swivel Wheel. Go to the website and they will explain it better than I can but it is a great product. https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...nsport-systems
Paul06trike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Even with two e-bikes there are only a few racks that are approved for RV use by their manufacturers. For two mopeds on a small RV the best option is a small trailer.

If it was for my use I would watch on Craigslist for someone selling either a motorcycle trailer or a double jetski trailer. Concern I have with the cheap utility traillers is than most have 8" tires which spin much too fast when the trailer is being pulled along at 65 mph and so the grease for the wheel bearings does not last and it you lose a wheel on the freeway the results will be ugly.

With e-bike having a throttle only speed of 20 mph and a range of more than 40 miles and can be recharged overnight so no need to carry gas cans, they seem like a better solution.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #19
New Winnebago owner

I'm not looking for new bikes, but I did find my answer on Craigslist: a small motorcycle trailer, which I have just purchased. It's a 1975 Holsclaw MB-9 Three Rail Motorcycle Trailer, which the original owner completely disassembled, sanded down and refinished with high-grade paint, and reassembled with all-new wiring and lights, hardware, and some upgrades. 12-inch wheels and bearing buddies (now I know what those are). He did a beautiful job.

It's parked in my garage while I wait for licensing and registration. I'm eager to give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer level.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	179431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer with ramps up.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	179432  

Old 06-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Now it is time to focus on locks and motion detecting alarms for the mopeds. This is one that I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With a cordless angle grinder and a cheap cut-off wheel a thief can cut through motorcycle grade chains and padlocks and wire cables in seconds. The lighter the moped or e-bike the easier it is for a thief to take it.