Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hitching early

Think I know the answer to this. We usually hook our 1808 Micro to our SUV and head out. I’m going to hook up the day before so we can be ready to go in the morning. Any issues anyone knows why this may be a problem leaving it hooked up on the vehicle? Extra strain on the SUV? I don’t think so but just wanted to check.
Thanks
PC
PC Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sometimes the devil is in the details!
So how this works out is going to depend on how it is set up. If it is correct and there is no drain on the battery, no reason at all not to hook early.
Done any checking on what it takes to tow the SUV in whatever way, (four wheels down, on dolly, etc.) so that the transmission is set up for however it is to be done? Lots of different options, some like electronic automatic transmission will take really specific methods.
I mention this as I would not want to say all is okay but new folks miss checking for their specific methods. I have a 2014 Ford Focus and it does take really special wiring and specific setting of the transmission.
Just because a neighbor does X,Y,Z to tow doesn't mean we can do the same, so care is needed.
If it is only a matter of hooking early and you've done the same tow before, most likely all is fine to connect early.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the response. Think there may be some confusion. I’m not towing a vehicle of any kind. I’m towing my Micro Minnie with my SUV. I wanted to hook it up today so it’ll be ready to go in the morning and was concerned if that would put more strain on the SUV, hitch, etc.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If it puts too much strain on the hitch sitting in the driveway then you REALLY don't need to be pulling it down the road!

So no, it will be fine sitting connected overnight, or for days at a time.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

That’s kind of what I figured and yes , the SUV does accommodate the loaded weight of the Minnie. With what we carry in the SUV and Minnie we have about 800+ lbs to spare.

Thanks,
PC