Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hitch storage

Has anyone found a solution for what to do with a weight distributing hitch after you arrive? I hate having it in the bed of the truck because it rolls around when I’m driving and it takes up too much room in the outside storage bay on the trailer.

I wanted something like this, but I don’t have the required room on the tongue:

EzStorHitch The First and Only, Complete Hitch and Spring Bar Storage System on Market! Reclaim Your Storage Space! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FMFN3FQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8AY9PNB8GGXTP88RMJ85
pjabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I wonder if that could be mounted to the curb-side end of the rear bumper (spring bars running along bumper) instead of the tongue. It's a bit hard to tell from the photos.

Edit: I tend to just leave my hitch on the truck during camping trips. I do remove it and put in the trailer's front storage if we're going into an area with congested parking.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I stow my bucket in a milk crate in the truck bed. When arriving, bucket comes out of milk crate and hitch goes in. That hitch is too dang heavy to lug around.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

pjabbott, have you looked at the Hitchport 2″ Hitch Bar Storage Mount?

It's a simple solution, a bracket and two self tapping screws that hold it to the frame.

I have one and used it for a while. It worked well. I removed it when I added a toolbox to the tongue. I need to see about remounting it. I'm getting tired of putting the hitch in the pass-through or the bed of the truck.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:01 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Ooo...I like the Hitchport! I currently heft the drawbar/ball into the storage bay or back of the SUV. Otherwise I have a slight advantage here with the Anderson hitch as there are no spring bars to stow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210625_172538_HDR.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	180151  
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

That Hitchport is very clever. It doesn't get much simpler (and lighter) than that.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:19 AM   #7
Site Team

Hummmm, we had travel trailers for a decade and used a SUV as a tow vehicle. So we never put the hitch in the back of the Expedition. We put the W/D bars on the ground next to the A-Frame and for short stays left the hitch on the tow vehicle. For long stays I just removed it and put it on the ground.

It never once occurred to me that I needed a way to “store” it.

Why would you want a way to store the hitch? The purpose is lost on me?
Old 07-13-2021, 07:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Personally, I just like to keep my stuff as clean and secure as I can. It’s unlikely, but it’d be annoying to have any part of the hitch stolen while away from camp.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:45 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hummmm, we had travel trailers for a decade and used a SUV as a tow vehicle. So we never put the hitch in the back of the Expedition. We put the W/D bars on the ground next to the A-Frame and for short stays left the hitch on the tow vehicle. For long stays I just removed it and put it on the ground.

It never once occurred to me that I needed a way to “store” it.

Why would you want a way to store the hitch? The purpose is lost on me?
For me, it's a personal preference. I don't like carrying the hitch in the truck's receiver unless I'm towing the camper. As for the W/D bars, I store them just inside the door of the driver's side pass-through. They are straight bars, so they don't take up much room.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The hitchport does not appear to have any locking mechanism nor any place to put the wd bars. I might as well just leave it unsecured on the ground. I’m rather astonished at the people in this thread that leave a $500+ piece of hardware just lying around.
pjabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjabbott View Post
The hitchport does not appear to have any locking mechanism nor any place to put the wd bars. I might as well just leave it unsecured on the ground. I’m rather astonished at the people in this thread that leave a $500+ piece of hardware just lying around.
I think the idea was to put your locking pin (from the receiver) through the hole in the hitch to keep it from being removed from the hitchport. Granted, it is not very robust (solid tug needed or an Allen wrench), but it is incrementally better than leaving it on the ground.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #12
Site Team

Don't mind me. I'm not much of a "lock it up" kind of guy. At a campground I lock my bike - with a lock and cable that any thief with basic tools could get through. And, years ago when we carried dual Honda Generators I sometimes locked them to each other with the same kind of cable.

Don't tell anyone but we never lock our motorhome door either unless it's in storage.

Oh, and I've already had others ridicule me for not securing my portable PT50 EMS.

I'm 71 and outside of having a condo burgled back in 1983 I've not had issues with theft. In fact, that condo theft relieved me of some old TVs and camera equipment and the wedding ring from my first marriage. The "full-value" condo insurance was a really great benefit financially - BUYING SPREE!
Old 07-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjabbott View Post
I reinstalled mine this morning. As you can see below, if you use a locking hitch pin, your hitch is is secured to the tongue. As "backtrack15" stated, maybe not the most robust setup but better than nothing. If you want a little more security, they sell security screws you can swap out for the hex screws that come with the bracket.

They have a separate mount for W/D bars that I'm sure with a little ingenuity can be secured also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210713_132041.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	180163   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210713_130101.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	180164  

Tags