Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2022, 05:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Going for Dolly for Vista 26p

Wife does not want trailer and some campgrounds are shorter length requirements. We will be going on extended trip to Alaska with this . Any advice or experience here appreciated with this configuration and travel to Alaska.
vermontcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have been dolly towing for many miles and years. I would do wheel bearing maintenace about every 3,000 miles. By that I mean shot a couple squirts of grease into the bearings. I have a spear tire mounted to the tung. Make sure after attaching the car and driving you stop after a short time and check the straps, it seems no matter how old they still stretch and may need tightening.

Good Luck enjoy
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:02 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Smart move going with a dolly. They are very versatile. Used it on 6 different cars and trucks towing forward and rearward. I use an American Car Dolly with electric brakes and have for 8 years now with almost 90,000 miles, 10,000 of the miles were from Georgia to Alaska and back. Have taken it to almost all states, most of western Canada and Alaska.

Loading and unloading on ours is very easy. We get a vehicle on, and strapped down, in about 7 minutes. We never have to get on the ground as some have complained about.

On the Alaska run I did add a "Protect A Tow" rock guard screen between the rig and the front of the car across the tongue. I never use the "Protect a Tow" in the lower 48 as the roads don't seem to warrant it and I've never had a problem without its use. It did seem to protect the front of the car along the Alaska Highway as there was much loose stone (chip seal roads) and some unpaved sections. But the entire set up did very well. I had lots of dirt and mud on the toad but no damage. Because the dolly slightly tilts the front of the car upward when loaded, it deflects thrown stones downward. I had less damage than I experienced when I towed a vehicle 4 down without a dolly and the front was low.

The only mod I did to the motorhome other than that was to install mud flaps behind the rear duallies as mine did not come with them. They helped quite a bit. I have read that the rear affixed tail rock guard flaps may actually throw rocks up when they scrub the ground when the front end of the motorhome lifts along the terrain of the road surface, dropping the rear and the guard along the road. I can't say if that's true or not as many folks swear by them. I found the mud flaps behind the duallies and the "Protect a Tow" met all my needs on the Alaska trip.

I follow the same practices noted previously by "be happy". I've changed my electric brake backing plates and shoes several times, changed tires (I use ST tires), carry a spare, grease regularly and pull, check and repack bearings 1X a year. All that work is a DIY project, very easy and quick. I did add a break away switch as many states and provinces now require them.
Americanrascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you to both awesome details and tips. BTW I plan to source dolly and rock guard through etrailer supplier.
vermontcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:15 PM   #5
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcc View Post
BTW I plan to source dolly and rock guard through etrailer supplier.
We have a car tow dolly (that's the brand name). We've bought new in late 2018 and have taken on flatland and mountain regions towing out Chevy Trax without a single problem.
I chose Car Tow Dolly because it is lightweight (I can easily move it around without much effort). It's a very simple design which means very little to break and its design allows me to stow the dolly hitch section under the back end of my motorhome (handy for small campsites or those without optional parking area). I like that I can also stow it upright - hitch in the air. The one con some would pick out on this brand of dolly is the separate dolly ramps instead of built-in. I've been fine with hooking/unhooking ramps. I sometimes take and use the ramps as an outdoor "doormat" to scrape before entering the RV.

Bobby

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200926_172127616.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	752.2 KB
ID:	182089

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210919_164301285_HDR.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	182088
Old 04-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Also considering a tow dolly for taking a vehicle with us. We have an Outlook 22c, E350 with V10 and it seems like this would work with our 2019 Escape front wheel drive.
Thought I would rent a Uhaul dolly as a test to see how it handles towing one before I invest on a purchase.
Does this seem like a good Idea or are they not comparable to other tow dollys?
GaryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryT View Post
Also considering a tow dolly for taking a vehicle with us. We have an Outlook 22c, E350 with V10 and it seems like this would work with our 2019 Escape front wheel drive.
Thought I would rent a Uhaul dolly as a test to see how it handles towing one before I invest on a purchase.
Does this seem like a good Idea or are they not comparable to other tow dollys?
Yes, I would agree to your test tow. I actually did the same although, the UHaul tow dolly is a bit different than the typical consumer dolly, but, it gave me the feel of how our Winnebago would perform towing our car.
You shouldn't have any issue towing your Escape with the E350.

Bobby
Old 04-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

bkg - Thanks for your comments.
GaryT is offline   Reply With Quote