Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Future Purchase of 2021 2108 DS

Hi There - new to the forum. We have been researching travel trailers for at least a year now and have settled on the 2021 Micro Minnie DS [dinette]. We live a fair way from any Winnebago dealers and they don't have this model stock. I am going to be purchasing an Andersen Weight distribution hitch and need to know the distance to the bottom of the trailer coupler of a levelled trailer for the Drop [4" or 8"]. Also, is there any impairment to installing the brackets on the frame.

[One advantage of the Andersen Hitch is I can install myself as the required torque is 150 ft-lbs whereas the other hitches I looked at needed 250 ft-lbs plus torque wrench, which would mean dealer installation. With the savings in labour for the install I am able to purchase the Andersen]

Thanks

Ron
Ron49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:07 AM   #2
Micro Minnier

What did you find out?

I just ordered a 2108DS and plan to use the Andersen WD hitch. I posted a question regarding sizing and have received no response yet. I noticed the same thing happened to this post. Did you get the trailer and hitch, and if so, may I ask what size hitch you got?
Thanks
Birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sorry, I didn't spot this thread earlier!

I don't have my rig all hitched up so I can't do measurements today, but my recollection with my 2019 2108DS is that the drop was something like 17.25". From the fitment guide you'd think you'd need the "raised brackets" (also known as "low profile brackets"). But you don't.

I called Anderson about this and came to two conclusions. First, the regular brackets are part of the kit and you pay for them either way. Anderson's suggestion was to try them and see if you really bottom out as you tow over expected road conditions. The other conclusion was from the observation that my rig is setup at the lowest height setting. These Winnebago 21xx trailers have three height settings, each of which lifts it about 1.5". That's true of my 2019 model year, and may be true of following and prior years as well. So if you have a 21xx trailer and are thinking "what the heck, I think mine must be around 20 inches off the ground," you are probably right because yours is at the upper height. So the net conclusion was that if I did bottom out due to road conditions (i.e., a driveway transition), I'd more likely raise the trailer rather than go out and buy the low profile brackets.

I could go measure the frame. It's either 5" or 6", I can't recall, but this is the kit I ordered: Andersen 3380 No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch 8" Drop / Rise, 2-5/16 Ball, 3", 4", 5", 6" Universal Frame Brackets. It all worked out of the box. My Land Cruiser hitch is very high so I needed the 8" drop.

Here's my setup. The picture is more of a mockup, though, as I had just connected the wire and hadn't pulled it back yet. It really was as easy to install as you think. And you do need a 150 lb torque wrench. Note the urethane springs really do compress! Also, it may not be clear from the instructions, but the bolt adjustments at the end of the chains really only needs to be done once. When you lift with the jack it all loosens up, and pulling the pin drops the plate to the ground (dangling on the chains). Reverse the procedure to put it back on. No pry bars or any of that. When I setup camp I do take the hitch assembly out of my receiver, but that's about the only extra work.

Finally, make sure you get all the grease out of the coupler! On my first outing I was disappointed in the sway (though we did have 40mph wind gusts that day -- lucky me). but I found there was leftover grease from the previous owner. A bunch of spraying with WD40 and wiping out with rags cured that and made a HUGE difference. Of course it needs to lock onto the ball for the anti-sway to work.

tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
MWS
Winnebago Watcher

Hey Ron (or anyone with a 2021 2018DS)

Did you get you 2108DS yet?
I am hoping you can help me out with some info, as I have a 2108DS on order and am going with the Andersen Hitch for the same reasons you did. I want to get the correct hitch ordered before the MMW shows up.

-Hitch Ball Size?
-Frame rail dimensions?
-Ground to top of frame rail dimension with trailer level?
-Ground to bottom of coupler dimension with trailer level?

Thx much!
Mike
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #5
Micro Minnier

Hitch ball: 2 5/16”
Tongue height: 5” (3/4/5 universal)
Ground to top of tongue rail: 26.25”
Ground to top of coupler: 26.5
GMC Canyon needed 8” receiver in ‘up’ position
Old 04-01-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
MWS
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you very much Birdie!

To clarify the frame rail is 5" high...yes?

Andersen says to use the ground to bottom of coupler dimension.
I figure to coupler is probably about 3" high, so should be 23.5"?
If you could confirm that would be much appreciated!

Thx
Mike
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #7
Micro Minnier

Yes on frame rail height.
The YouTube videos I have seen say to measure to top of coupler. That is what I did.

Tags
purchase