Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fiat 500e

Hi, guys. Anyone know if the Fiat 500e electric version is flat towable? As an aside to this question I’m looking at the Fiat(gas or electric) to tow behind my 2008 View. I’m in the process of adapting my wife’s 1990 Wrangler Sahara to tow but I’m thinking it’s a little too heavy for the 154 hp of the Sprinter. I’m sure it would do it on the flat but you never know what lurks ahead when you’re traveling. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and Merry Christmas. Ed
Boomlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Fiat Owner's Manual says flat towing of the 500e is not allowed, dolly towing with front on the dolly is OK.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for that info, Phil. It was a real nice car.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Team

We had a Fiat 500 Pop as a toad for about 18 months. We bought it used and used it only as a toad. It was a manual transmission - automatics are not flat towable.

It was a decent toad and easy to pull, but we didn't like it much when we got to a location that required a lot of driving. A bit too small.

We sold it to a couple with a new Class C and they purchased it for the same purpose. Used Fiats are pretty cheap. We paid $8000 for ours. It was 2-yrs old at the time. We sold it for $7800 18-months later. Other than the towbar installation cost it didn't lose much value over that time frame.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Doesn't mean it can't be done; just Fiat says no. There may be some aftermarket devices that will overcome the issues Fiat has with towing. Fiat does not specify "why".
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T View Post
Doesn't mean it can't be done; just Fiat says no. There may be some aftermarket devices that will overcome the issues Fiat has with towing. Fiat does not specify "why".
The reason all most all electric vehicles can't be flat towed is because the wheels are directly connected to the electric motor and there is not a transmission. There are almost no exceptions to this. An electric vehicle with a motor on the front wheels only should allow tow dolly towing, but when the motor is on the rear wheels (or both front/rear) the car can be towed on a trailer, but that's about it.

Some hybrids and even some plug-in hybrids with an actual transmission can be flat-towed. An example of this is the Ford C-Max Energi.

Other hindrances to flat towing an electric vehicle can be (but not always) the electric steering and the regenerative braking.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I find the age to be a definite item as what worked for towing one year may not for the next. The number of vehicles for flat towing is really getting cut down as so many are now into the CVT transmission for better economy.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We tow a Fiat Pop behind our Aspect 30J. We really like it and it is hardly noticeable. But as Creativepart accurately states, they aren't the most comfortable if you are doing a lot of driving. I wouldn't want to be behind the wheel of it for more than an hour at a time. That being said, it was very cost effective and we installed everything needed to tow it. I did have our car stereo guy run the wires to the tail lights. For $50, he had it done in about half an hour and it saved me the heartache. We bought ours used and you do need a manual transmission. And since you don't have to turn on the key, the miles don't rack up on it while towing.

Al
Old 12-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your ideas, guys. I backed the Wrangler out of the garage yesterday and was greeted with a rusted brake line. Well, it’s 30 years old. I plan to get it registered this week and at least give it a shakedown run but I’m looking every day for a manual Fiat. I understand the space confines but it’s just the two of us and it would only be used for short runs. I haven’t even sat in one so a test drive will answer a lot of questions.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

A small point but also keep in mind that the much lower car may require a different hitch to get the correct angle for towing? In our case we have a driveway that makes a lower hitch a major problem as we tilt up to pull in. Just a nuisance to have to disconnect the car as well as remove the tow bar and drop hitch before we would pull in the drive.
Got to keep the small points in mind to get the best answer?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomlift View Post
Thanks for your ideas, guys. I backed the Wrangler out of the garage yesterday and was greeted with a rusted brake line. Well, it’s 30 years old. I plan to get it registered this week and at least give it a shakedown run but I’m looking every day for a manual Fiat. I understand the space confines but it’s just the two of us and it would only be used for short runs. I haven’t even sat in one so a test drive will answer a lot of questions.
We were surprised at how much room is in the front of our 2014 Fiat Pop. I'm just under 6' and there is plenty of room. My son is 6'3" and he was blown away by how much leg room is up front. There is literally no room in the back seat though! We typically just fold the back seat down and use the space for storage of water, tools and other heavier items when traveling.

Al