Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2019, 05:45 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

There's an interlock on the shifter that does this. I have to do the same thing. Turn key to the on position then shift to neutral, then turn key back to Acc.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Thanks for this but you are missing the point..Why do we have to do this and not follow the owners manual which has now been in print for 10 years?

I accomplished my test drive doing exactly what you said but we should be able to follow the manual so what is wrong? I think it may be as simple as another fuse or as major as an electrical problem.

Was hoping to find out through another users experience rather than having to take to a dealer for testing.
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #23
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Update to my previous worry about possible vehicle problem because can't follow 2010 owners manual to letter: Copied this from GM Authority blog:

Looking at the Owner’s Manual for the 2012 Equinox, one sees six short steps to prepare the vehicle for dinghy-towing behind and RV (or pickup). Step one is to hook it up to the vehicle that will be doing the pulling/towing. From there, steps two and three are to pull the transmission lever into Neutral from Park after turning the key to ON/RUN. From there:

Turn the key back to ACC
Turn off the accessories like the stereo.
To prevent the battery from running down on longer trips, pull fuse number 32, which is for the Discrete Logic Ignition Switch (See photo below.)

Read more: Chevrolet Equinox: Towing It Behind An RV | GM Authority

Note the process starts with the key in the On/Run position to move transmission to N and not from ACC as my manual states.

So, I am not going to worry about it any more! Thanks everyone for listening to my rantings over nothing.

Going to have tires rotated and front end alignment on Thursday and will be all set to tow.

Happy RVing everyone!
Old 04-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

After reading that the 1.5 liter engines are melting pistons, and that the 2.4 liter engine has had a Class Action Law suit against GM for high oil usage, and that GM has admitted to both these claims, I decided against getting an Equinox. I bought a 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L. Now trying to get it ready to pull.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #25
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Honda vs Equinox as toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
After reading that the 1.5 liter engines are melting pistons, and that the 2.4 liter engine has had a Class Action Law suit against GM for high oil usage, and that GM has admitted to both these claims, I decided against getting an Equinox. I bought a 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L. Now trying to get it ready to pull.
My daughter and son-in-law bought their 2010 Equinox new and after 89,000 miles absolutely no problems. So far I really like mine purchased only a month ago with 73,500 miles and a clean CAR FAX report.

thought you should check out these: Lawsuits against Honda cars:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ective-engine/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...tem-defective/

Just a few of the lawsuits against your Honda product. Wanted you to know that lawsuits is not a good indicator of what vehicle to not but or buy.

Good luck with it though!
Old 04-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, sure glad that I don't have that new Honda engine. Like the Chevy, the industry is building smaller tubo-charged engines to power their cars, looking for even better gas mileage, while trying repeat TRYING to keep enough power to keep the consumer happy. The good news for me, is that the Honda 2.4 liter engine is one of the best that they have ever built, untold numbers of them in 200K + range. Car of the year in 2013. Happy that you are not having any problems with yours. After talking with the GM rep at their customer service division, I was only able to find that the suit was settled last month, but was unable to find out what the settlement was. However, GM DID ADMIT that it was a problem. It looks like the next thing up will be the 1.5 liter that they started in 2017. There are some good videos of the meltdowns on You Tube. Any how... I would have sure liked to have bought one. Since GM has started dumping them, I could have bought a new 2018 for what the used Honda cost.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

It looks like the original suit was for 2010-2013 2.4 L engines. Two more suits have been filed to include all 2.4 L engines up through 2017. Chevy issued an internal Service bulletin detailing the "Fix" for the problem, but did not issue a recall. That bulletin served as admission that GM knew that there was a problem with piston rings that allowed for excessive oil use. That, coupled with a failure of the oil pressure system to accurately report low Oil pressure led owners to continue to drive their vehicle with little or no engine oil. Still can not find out what the settlement was, but it should be posted on Classaction.org Blog before too long, and owners should receive notices from GM. No doubt that it has not effected every unit, but the potential is there. It would be prudent to check the engine oil more often than you normally would. I'd bet that the settlement will extend the warranty period. This is how they handled the problem with the Fuel injectors on the LB7 Chevy Duramax engine. They ended up replacing three (3) complete sets of injectors for me. The Shop bill was just under $5000 each time. At 148K mi, they were bad again, for the 4th time... even though I was still under the 200K mi extension granted by the settlement, I was outside of the 7 yrs window by 20 days! So the cost was on me. Just because your car isn't using excessive oil right now doesn't mean that it won't. The Oil rings can collapse at anytime, and then you have a problem. Just keep a close eye on things.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Hi,
I have a 2015 which never gave me a problem until this last local tow.
Came from Florida without a hitch.
Sorry, couldn’t resist that.
I’m getting a “service Stabilitrak” message on panel.
Oh, and while driving it about a month ago, kept stalling. Needed to be towed. Some $200 timing part corrected that issue.
Hoping this one is a minor fix.

Tags
toad