Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dolly tow VW Beetle

We have a new Acme tow dolly and a 2013 VW Beetle with push button start. The Beetle steering wheel lock must be unlocked to use the Acme tow dolly. Has anyone used this combination? How did you unlock the steering wheel? Any help is appreciated.
HowieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We tow our Camry XLE with push button start (we really hate not having a key) on our Acme dolly.

Our Owner's Manual describes the process, but in short you press the button once without having your foot on the brake. That sets up Accessories and allows the steering wheel to unlock.

However, if you tow for several hours, your battery will discharge. To get around that, you either pull a specific fuse (Owner's Manual) or disconnect the battery. To do that, you can install a fuse isolation/disconnect switch kit, but we find it easier, and less expensive to install a disconnect directly on the battery

Simple, fool proof and a couple of dollars.

Remember to release the Emergency Brake before you drive off!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Oldchinahand. I will give that a try. Did you get the battery disconnect from an auto parts store? What do you use for lights on your Camry?
Old 04-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Another option is a different dolly. Kar Kaddy has automatic steering where the spindles are on king pins. Both wheels are tied together with a tie rod like on a truck.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

HowieB, We bought a set of magnetic LED taillights from HarborFreight. Never had a problem with them scratching our paint or blowing off. More than enough supplied wiring to reach from Camry trunk to Miss Winnie. HB also carries the disconnect switch pictured as does Walmart and most auto parts stores.

Way over kill, but one ambitious afternoon in Admiral Baker Field, San Diego, I Spliced into the Acme light wiring and installed a plug. I cut the supplied portable taillight wiring leaving a four foot tail off the lights. Installed plugs on the cut ends. Now I had lights with a short section of wiring and a long section of wiring with plugs at each end. Installed one end w/plug in trunk, led the remainder beneath the car terminating behind the grill in front of the radiator. Unless we are in tow, just sits there held neatly coiled with a velcro tie. Like I said, way overkill.

Since the Acme has integral, very bright LED tail lights, we seldom break out the portable except bad weather and nights. I hear some states do not accept dolly mounted lights. That has not been our experience.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Oldchinahand. You are a wealth of information and a great resource. I had planned on splicing into the dolly wires. Your idea of routing a wire from trunk to grill is what I'm going to do. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
HowieB, We bought a set of magnetic LED taillights from HarborFreight. Never had a problem with them scratching our paint or blowing off.
FYI, I have had two sets of the Harbor Freight magnetic lights. One of each blew off of my toad and was drug to death.
Neisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Have heard the same from others. We had a set of the incandescents with sketchy magnets. Never blew off, but would migrate to new locations unless they were in just the right spot on the trunk.

The LED's seem to have much stronger magnets. Because of "stuff" we were carrying in the trunk, they made the Tucson to San Diego trip stuck to the roof. Usually ride stuck to the trunk.

'Course, we "drive 62 and enjoy the view".

Tags
tow