Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2022, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dolly Tow car questions

We just purchased our first motorhome. We bought a dolly and towed our 2011 Buick Regal home (2 hrs). When we got home, the car was totally dead. Couldn't jump start. I was on a site where person posting had the same trouble with their car. Owner's manual says it can be towed, but after a couple of years, GM said not to tow it.

We are traveling from WI to AZ. Looking for a car to tow on dolly. Looking for input from this community. What is consistent so far is not all models are towable.

Several have said you have to stop every few hours and start the car. Seems awkward with a car on a dolly?
Sueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:23 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I think I am missing something. With the car on the dolly, everything should be turned OFF so there would only be minimal drain on the battery. Just like it was parked in your garage. You can only dolly tow the front wheel drive version of the 2011 Buick Regal.

What procedure did you follow when you loaded it onto the dolly? With everything going on when you purchase a new motorhome, it is easy to overlook something small when loading the car on the dolly. If you have the space, you could load the car on the dolly in your driveway and just let it sit for several hours to see if the battery drains.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

that's what we thought, too. the rv dealership helped load it and my husband asked them a few times if he just had to put it in neutral (std transmission) and that's it? they said yes. the garage that came and picked it up said we had to turn some switch to prevent it from happening again, but can't find that in manual.
Sueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The owners manual says to put the manual transmission into 1st gear, release the parking brake, and turn the ignition OFF. Perhaps the switch the garage mentioned is the electronic parking brake switch. If that is left on, it will drain the battery. I don't know if the parking brake works on all the wheels, the front wheels only, or the rear wheels only. If it is the rear wheels, it wouldn't tow very well if at all.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I installed a hot wire (12 volts) from the motor home to the tow to prevent the battery drain. Before, I would miss some little thing like the radio and leave it on and the battery would drain. To eliminate that, I added the hot wire. The tow always cranks now.

Tags
tow