Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Do I Need a Weight Distribution Hitch?

We are brand new to travel trailers and will soon be the owners of a Micro Minnie 1706FB. Our tow vehicle is a Ford F150 with EcoBoost and trailering package. I have pulled a wide variety of boat trailers but never a travel trailer. Should we invest in a weight distribution hitch with sway control for this rig or would that be overkill? Considering the Husky Centerline weight distribution hitch with sway control for tongue weight up to 600 pounds. Any advise would be much appreciated.
coolbowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Don't know enough about your trailer but would think you probably need to. There will be others along with more knowledge shortly.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbowfin View Post
We are brand new to travel trailers and will soon be the owners of a Micro Minnie 1706FB. Our tow vehicle is a Ford F150 with EcoBoost and trailering package. I have pulled a wide variety of boat trailers but never a travel trailer. Should we invest in a weight distribution hitch with sway control for this rig or would that be overkill? Considering the Husky Centerline weight distribution hitch with sway control for tongue weight up to 600 pounds. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Congrats on the rv.

We bought our 1706fb around Xmas. The salesman talked us into the WD sway control hitch. One tow vehicle is an 2014 honda Ridgeline and the other a 2016 5.3 crew cab silverado.

I figured the Honda could use it for sure, not so much the Silverado, but after using it with the Chevy I have no regrets whatsoever. Both rigs travel straight and true especially on the highway. We made a 2000+ miles trip to the Rockies in July and driving is much more secure. We travel 2 lane US highways part of the way and oncoming big rigs are no bother when we meet. Same on the interstates.

Ours is a Husky Centerline TS. The 1st few times hooking up were a challenge, but now it's a breeze. My wife can solo on it too although the sway bars are a little heavy. (She also dumps the tanks on her solo trips!)

David and Patti
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170718_153935.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	169025   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170710_073900.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	169026  

wecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I don't use one on my Ram 2500 diesel... 4 years and 20k miles with no problem. But it's a very heavy front end with a very long wheelbase.

I think you should be fine, but hook it up and see how she sits. If the truck squats and the front end feels light, get a WD system.
The problem with the F150 is that it's light and the ecoboost, too, is light.
The issue will be that you lose weight on the front wheels for turning and stopping.
Whatever your hitch weight is, the lack of WD hitch will lever that weight off the front wheels.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes indeed, hook on to it and see. Also consider amount of weight in the bed on a normal trip.
wecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Don't second guess your family welfare. Just get one you will be thankful
ram4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Do you mean that your wife can take the hitch off by herself? We just got a Micro Minnie 1706FB too, and the hitch (bought from the dealer same day) is the biggest challenge. It weighs 102 lb, so taking it off and putting back on is not easy.
cbb_37027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

“I think you should be fine, but hook it up and see how she sits.” and
“If the truck squats ”

WDH are not for “fixing” squat, TDI. The WDH transfer some weight forward to the TV’s front wheels and the TT’s wheels to improve braking and control.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Do you need a weight distribution system? There are many variables. As a general rule, if your trailer gross weight after your stuff is load is more than 50% of the tow vehicle weight, you should have one. If the rear tires on the tow rig has soft side walls this can induce a sway where it can help to have one. If after loading the trailer and the tounge weight is more than 10% of the total trailer weight, it can help. Many other variables. If in doubt, it will not hurt anything other than the pocket book to have it. The sway bar also falls into play.
Tucsontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:52 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
“I think you should be fine, but hook it up and see how she sits.” and
“If the truck squats ”

WDH are not for “fixing” squat, TDI. The WDH transfer some weight forward to the TV’s front wheels and the TT’s wheels to improve braking and control.
Actually, that's exactly what it does... it transfers weight off the rear axle of the truck (where it squats) and moves it to the front axle of the truck and back to the trailer wheels.
That's the point of a WDH. To supplement tow vehicles that don't have enough rear axle weight capacity to handle a trailer without squatting.

If the trailer causes you to lose front axle weight to the point where you can't steer or brake, you have a seriously overloaded truck.

The issue is that most vehicles don't have much weight carrying capacity on the front axle, so shifting more weight there can be an issue.

Similarly, many people load up their trailer like crazy and then slap on a WDH which shift even more weight to the trailer wheels... then they wonder why their "chinabombs" fail.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Whether or not you "need" one, you'll most likely be happier with one. With your trailer size you don't need one of the super-expensive types, a simple "bar and chain" version like the EAZ Lift or Reese should be fine.

Definitely get the sway control, it will help with passing vehicles, swaying, and porpoising.

Here's a site that may help you:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We also have a 2017 Mini Wini 1706 FB. I pull with F150 EcoBoost. We pulled without WD hitch and decided we needed a sway control just to make smother ride. Purchased CURT WD with built in sway bars. Best decision for me. As everyone knows the F150 is a little light in the rear end and we carry a Champion 3100i generator. Still like a.c. And solar will not do job when it is hot. Solar great for keeping batteries charged. There are times that you may enjoy AC. Why not if you have the equipment. This why we made our decision.

So glad to find 1706fb owners.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram4wheel View Post
Don't second guess your family welfare. Just get one you will be thankful
Old 06-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I went with the Anderson hitch system. It is light weight, has great sway control and does OK with weight distribution. You have a smallish trailer to tow with a big truck so you won't need lots of weight distribution but some is helpful (put weight back on the front steering wheels) and the sway control is great.
k.darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

If the tongue weight will be over 500 lbs you will need a WDH. Using a rule of thumb tongue weight percentage of 13% if the loaded trailer weighs more than 3846 pounds you are in WDH territory. I suspect you might be close to that once it is all loaded up. So it might be worthwhile going with one for future trailer weight gain and better sway control.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #16

Check truck manufacturer weight limits without a WDH too.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

IMHO, there has been more than enough advice given in this thread and the OP should just get a weight distributing hitch with sway control and the appropriate bars for his tongue weight.

I'm signing out of this one. Good luck.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbowfin View Post
YES! Better to be safe than sorry and "wish" you had one after an event. For my first 19 foot travel trailer, I put a Henley Hitch on it and it never left the center of my 2012 Honda Pilot. Passing commercial trucks didn't bother it. I have seen too many travel trailers incorrectly attached to various vehicles and many fight the trailer. Good Luck!
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:24 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by W 69947 View Post
We also have a 2017 Mini Wini 1706 FB. I pull with F150 EcoBoost. We pulled without WD hitch and decided we needed a sway control just to make smother ride. Purchased CURT WD with built in sway bars. Best decision for me. As everyone knows the F150 is a little light in the rear end and we carry a Champion 3100i generator. Still like a.c. And solar will not do job when it is hot. Solar great for keeping batteries charged. There are times that you may enjoy AC. Why not if you have the equipment. This why we made our decision.

So glad to find 1706fb owners.
Confused... if the F150 is light in the rear, a WD hitch takes more weight off the rear.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:07 AM   #20

Yes, TDI, I agree. Improves braking too by putting some of that weight to front wheels too.

Tags
weight