Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Do I need a drop down receiver?

For those of you with a class A who tow a Honda CR-V do you need and use a drop down receiver?

I don't want to add this into the system unless it's an absolute necessity. Since this is a very popular tow car I'd like to know how you rig yours.

I have a Demco Aluminator (6500 rated) tow bar and the CR-V has the Blue Ox Base Plate.

I know there is an acceptable range, but I don't know what is correct for my set up.

I will talk with etrailer soon but I just wanted to see what others are doing.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your tow bar installation instructions indicate +/- 3" from level, which is the same as Blue Ox's specs. This measurement should be made when fully loaded and hooked up on level pavement.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Has qnothing to do with your toad being a Honda CRV. The towbar, while toad and motorhome are loaded and hooked up, parked on the level, should be as level as possible. What ever angle there is causes the toad to want to ride up and over, or down and under the towbar/motorhome. Can cause undo stress and wear on an otherwise good towbar setup. Keepit level, my towbar manual says +/- 2". I use a 6" drop on my setup.
What are you using for a toad brake system?
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob and Phil.

I included the CRV information since the height varies with different vehicles. I have the Brake Buddy Vantage system and have only towed the CRV home using a truck and haven't hooked up with the RV.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Good thing to question and small points are easy to miss. I did it wrong for years before we changed RV and I did a new look.
From what I see, it is a matter of how the weight of the car pulls and pushes on the towbar and that also transfers to the base plates.
If you have the tow bar so it lies pretty flat, the pressure from the car, either pulling or pushing, hits the bar and also the base plates at a different angle being straight on.
But if we have one end of the tow bar much higher, that pressure hits at a different angle which tends to make it force the hitch up while also forcing the bolted on base plates down.
That leaves the bolts on the base plates stressed far different than the way they were designed. My thought is that makes it more likely for the bolts to wear in a different way and possibly fail sooner.
For my simple thinking, it is like leaning on a stick of wood against the wall. If it is straight and level, it doesn't move the same as when it is angled up or down. Straight lets us put more pressure on without doing damage!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Good thing to question and small points are easy to miss. I did it wrong for years before we changed RV and I did a new look.
From what I see, it is a matter of how the weight of the car pulls and pushes on the towbar and that also transfers to the base plates.
If you have the tow bar so it lies pretty flat, the pressure from the car, either pulling or pushing, hits the bar and also the base plates at a different angle being straight on.
But if we have one end of the tow bar much higher, that pressure hits at a different angle which tends to make it force the hitch up while also forcing the bolted on base plates down.
That leaves the bolts on the base plates stressed far different than the way they were designed. My thought is that makes it more likely for the bolts to wear in a different way and possibly fail sooner.
For my simple thinking, it is like leaning on a stick of wood against the wall. If it is straight and level, it doesn't move the same as when it is angled up or down. Straight lets us put more pressure on without doing damage!
Based on my preliminary findings I will need a drop/rise receiver. Measuring from the centerline of the RV receiver to the ground I get right at 24-1/2" and the measurement from the ground to the centerline of the CRV base plate arms is 16".

The simple math of 24-1/2" minus 16" leaves a gap of 8-1/2". Therefore I could order the 8" or 6" drop receiver. Either one will work while the 8" may be ideal. The only concern is that doesn't leave as much ground clearance and adds more length.

I bet there are quite a few rigs who don't use one when they really should. The previous owner of my RV towed a CRV and didn't use one and the guy I bought the CRV from who owned a class A didn't either.

I'd like to hear from anybody with a set up like mine to see which drop receiver they went with. I may go ahead and order the 8" receiver, but I'd still like to hear what others use.

I know for some of you old pros this must be a boring post. I do appreciate your input.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

There's another consideration and that is, the longer the drop hitch, the greater the torque that's exerted in a panic stop, which can be problematical as well.

Given the ground clearance issue, I'd opt for the 6" drop receiver, which still puts you within the +/- 3". The +/- 3" spec has a safety margin built into it, so you don't need to split hairs. Although my vehicles are different than your's, my situation was similar and I chose the 6" drop receiver. An 8" drop receiver looks huge compared to a 6" one.

Also, was your rig fully loaded for travel? If not, the additional weight will lower your receiver, thereby decreasing the difference.

Just because the previous MH and CRV owners didn't use a drop receiver is irrelevant since the issue is one of safety in an extreme situation, which may never occur. It's all about risk minimization.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had a 2004 Southwind and it sat high, I needed a 6 inch drop to get to 3 inches to level
Bought it, pulled my Jeep 25,000 miles without a problem.
My 2 DP didn’t need a drop.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks fellas for the input. We may add a few items but not really much more so weight shouldn't be an issue. I am very keen on weights and balance due to my marine background.

Bob your description of the 8" receiver is exactly what I thought. It's a big honker.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
Thanks fellas for the input. We may add a few items but not really much more so weight shouldn't be an issue. I am very keen on weights and balance due to my marine background.

Bob your description of the 8" receiver is exactly what I thought. It's a big honker.
Don't forget your tanks
Old 08-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

As others have stated, within plus or minus 3 inches is acceptable per Blue Ox. Measurement to be made on level ground. We just went through this. We purchased a 6 inch drop hitch. 2011 Winnebago Via 25Q (Class A) towing 2008 Honda CRV.
lfainbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I am leaning toward the 6" drop since I want to reduce any length that I can and still keep within the +/- 3".

I finished topping off the black tank with fresh water and filled the grey tank for a final rinse before dumping tanks.

Even with these tanks full and almost a full fresh water tank and 7 cases of bottled water distributed evenly we only came down another 1/4". I'll order the receiver soon. We should be on the road in a few weeks.

Thanks to all.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Yes...... on the CRV. I have one with a Class A motor Home. Drop-down 6 inches or 8 inches. Depends on the manufacturer. I have a Newmar and use both sizes. Make sure you also buy extended cables when you do the Hi-Low bar purchase. Amazon has a great selection.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

With the same motorhome we have towed a 2005 CRV and now a 2014 CRV with a Blue Ox Avail (BX7420) tow bar. The 2005 CRV did not require a drop hitch receiver to keep the tow bar level, but the 20014 CRV does. To keep the tow bar level on the 2014 CRV we purchased through Amazon a 6" drop Blue Ox receiver, BX88130. We still use the same cables and electrical cord that were used with the 2005 CRV.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2003 Adventurer and 2013 Honda CRV. I have to use a 6" drop to be close to level.
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I bent one of the tow arms of a Blue Ox 10,000# capacity towing a 4200# car, because the angle was too great. Lesson learned. Get the tow bar level. I required a 6" drop. Problem solved. (Blue OX baseplate, and latest Brake Buddy brake system...Works great now.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:49 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thank you good folks for the great replies and B Austin that is very informative regarding the bent tow arm. There's a lot of force being applied. I'm so glad I haven't blindly gone forward without asking this specific question and maybe it will help others.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

2012 CR-V and 2004 Winnebago Vectra diesel. No drop needed. We have blue ox and it's very level to hitch receiver. Diesel may be lower than a gasser. If so a gasser would need drop.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote