Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #1

Does anyone tow a trailblazer or similar suv with an adventurer 35 u We have one that we are considering towing, but we are wondering if it is a little too heavy, we realize it is close to the max. weight allowance.
jest4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #2

Does anyone tow a trailblazer or similar suv with an adventurer 35 u We have one that we are considering towing, but we are wondering if it is a little too heavy, we realize it is close to the max. weight allowance.
jest4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I towed a Trailblazer with a 36' with a Vortec 454 and got along fine. I noticed a difference between the Trailblazer and the Cutlass on acceleration but had plenty of power in the mid-west where there is mostly flat going. I would think the big difference would be in stopping, I had the M&G Brake so it didn't make much difference.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

We had a 2002 Trailblazer and at 4700 pounds we determined that it was too much toad for us so we traded laterally into a Saturn Vue of some 3700 pounds. Now if you add the 55 pound tow bar to go with it and a 5 pound auxilliary brake plus anything you might have in the TB as cargo, you can see it'll get up there in a hurry and the hitch is only rated for 5000. thye towbar is rated for 10,000 but that's just a number if your hitch is only rated for 5K.

We're doing much better with GCWR now thank you very much, aluminum tow bar and all.

Bottom line is though, it's still pretty darned heavy.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

DriVer

Your towing problem was all the extra cargo in the vehicle ----

The words Pack Rat comes to mind ---

See ya SOON !!!!!!!!!!
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mike T:And I suppose carrying a constant minimum stock of 20 cases of soda doesn't add any weight?????

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just happen to have one as a tow vehicle. It pulls great and only time that I know if it back there is on mountain driving. We weighed ours and it grossed at 4600#. Our Ford V10 handles good with it and don't even use a toad auxiliary braking system. It is still within the gross vehicle weight of the motorhome. It stops great also. I use the Blue OX 10,000 lb tow bar. Happy RVing!!!

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you tow, please for you and everyone else's sake use an auxilary brake system. If you read the Ford manual you will find that they require aux. brake for anything over 1500 pounds. It will become a problem when you are in court!
Old 06-18-2005, 08:06 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DSouthw524:
If you tow, please for you and everyone else's sake use an auxilary brake system. If you read the Ford manual you will find that they require aux. brake for anything over 1500 pounds. most states also require an aux. brake system for any trailer over 1000-3000 lbs and any where inbetween. It only takes 1 time to wreak your trip.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

We tow an 04 Trailbazer Ext w/BB when we take our son, his wife and the two grandkids with us. It's on the heavy side, about 4700#s so I bought a tow dolly to tow the wife's Aveo, when it's just us. When towing the Trailblazer I generally don't go over 65. The Adventurer 35U seems to tow it just fine. Have had any problems. I bought the dolly because I think by towing light vehicle will help on milage.

04 Adventurer 35U

USAF Retired
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote