Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2022, 11:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Coupler latch / socket maintenance

Hi all,

I was reviewing my maintenance schedule for my MM 2100BH and it states to lubricate the coupler latch and socket every 1k miles or monthly. I also have the Anderson WD hitch which specifically calls out NOT to grease the ball or coupler. A little bit confused here. Apologies is this is a dumb question, first time trailer owner and only been at this about a month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MaintChart.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	181783   Click image for larger version

Name:	AndHitch.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	181784  

Old 01-24-2022, 02:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Certainly not a dumb question when you are trying to avoid shooting your own foot!!

But then , what is actually done and what is practical may not be either of those that you mention. If you look around at hitch balls, you don't find many that are nice and shiny nor do you find them covered in grease.
My tow experience has mostly been in boat trailers and most seem to know that a bit of lube will keep the ball and hitch from rubbing wuite so much and may make the metal last a little better but they also DO NOT want a trailer hitch that get grease on their pants leg every time they walk around the rear, so they stop putting grease on it!

My method? I rarely lube the hitch ball but if the latching gets harder to open/close, etc. I may oil it a bit but mostly I tend to ignore them if they are moving okay! I've never had one wear out from lack of lube but more often get bent or banged up to the point of replacement.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think the Andersen is a bit unusual in the sense that the ball really isn’t supposed to rotate in the coupler. If I recall correctly, the rotation is supposed to occur in that conical friction section under the ball to resist sway. I suppose you can lube the lever without lubing the coupler socket.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I think the Andersen is a bit unusual in the sense that the ball really isn’t supposed to rotate in the coupler. If I recall correctly, the rotation is supposed to occur in that conical friction section under the ball to resist sway. I suppose you can lube the lever without lubing the coupler socket.
You are correct about the Anderson friction section.

To the OP:
If you use an Anderson WDH and lubricate the ball the WDH will lose most if not all ability to control sway as the friction is greatly diminished. That applies to the Anderson WDH only. When using another brand WDH the ball gets lubricated since the friction points (used to control/prevent sway) are somewhere else.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Got it. So this maintenance item doesn’t apply to me because I’ve got the Anderson WDH. Glad I asked first!

Follow up question, if I’m noticing that the latch which actually makes the ball connect to the coupler gets a little stuck, any advice (product-wise) on how to lubricate that? Just want to make sure I don’t do something that will impact the functionality of my WDH hitch. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-29-2022, 08:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

This pm I sprayed my latch with some WD 40 on my 2100BH with a Andersen WDH. I do not believe it will impact the ball.
grogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance