Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Choosing a Larger Toad

I have a 2014 Ford Edge, and my wife wants a bigger dingy to tow with more room. We are having a difficult time finding one because it seems the 20 and 21 models have seemed to have changed the rules about towing, and we are getting conflicting information from the salesmen. One consideration is a 19 Ford Explorer. One salesman said we have to have the V6 Ecoboost engine. Does anyone have one of these Fords that could help me?

We have also considered a GMC Acadia or Jeep Grand Cherokee. Any recommendations along these brands?

Thanks for any comments.

Jerry
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yes eco boost required.

https://webcontent.goodsam.com/motor...inghyGuide.pdf

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #3
Site Team

First... Never trust a car salesman's statements about flat towing (or just about anything). And this is both ways - whether they say a model is flat towable or not flat towable.

Both Motorhome Magizine (GoodSam) and FMCA put out Toad guides. And they are a good place to see what options are needed to make a vehicle flat towable or even what options to avoid as well.

Chevy seems to have the widest range of SUVs that are all flat towable.

The Jeep Cheokee is probably the number one Toad brand out there since the Honda CRV stopped being towable in 2015. But with Jeeps you have to be sure you have the correct 4-wheel drive equipped model.

The new Lincoln Nautilus is flat-towable and a pretty nice vehicle at that. Though expensive. I'm not sure it's much larger than the Ford Edge.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not sure about the newer models but our 2015 Explorer is a great toad. We've towed it all over the country four down. In my opinion I don't want to tow a new car as it gets dinged here and there, plus it really gets dirty.
Our old Ford is perfect for the job.

and no to eco boost. We don't want or have it.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
and no to eco boost. We don't want or have it.
We had two Ford Expedition ELs. We used them to tow a Travel Trailer. First, was a V8 the second was the EcoBoost V6. We LOVED our EcoBoost and it towed much better than the V8.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Check out motorhome.com for guidance.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We are towing a 2014 Ford Explorer 6 passenger. We love it. It's all about the transmission! The salesmen have no clue!

Nor do the service people know what drains the battery while the car is in tow mode. Just get the trickle charger included in your light/brake connection and don't expect an answer.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #8
Dives2Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have a 2014 Ford Edge, and my wife wants a bigger dingy to tow with more room. We are having a difficult time finding one because it seems the 20 and 21 models have seemed to have changed the rules about towing, and we are getting conflicting information from the salesmen. One consideration is a 19 Ford Explorer. One salesman said we have to have the V6 Ecoboost engine. Does anyone have one of these Fords that could help me?

We have also considered a GMC Acadia or Jeep Grand Cherokee. Any recommendations along these brands?

Thanks for any comments.

Jerry
I tow a '13 F-150 with the EcoBoost and love it! Mileage is pretty good and the "pep" is dramatic. When the 2 turbos kick in we go from 100 (and some) horsepower to 350. Ours is a two wheel drive so we we have to use a driveline disconnect, but that is a minor inconvenience and avoids doing the "hokey-pokey" to disengage the transmission.
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Here are links to Fords towing guides including toads from the Ford Fleet website. They are the best resource for Ford info. Most sales personnel unfortunately are the worst resource.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/
Hofsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I got a 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD, SE version, for about $ 26,000. Only the Escape Hybrid can be flat towed of all the current Escapes. Plenty of power, great gas mileage (38 mpg combined), great range ( over 500 miles ). Put on a Blue Ox Baseplate and reused my Blue Ox Patriot Toad Brake Assistant.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #11
blubugger

Quote:

Thanks for any comments.

Jerry
Wait a minute, I thought 'Toad' or dingy was the vehicle that is towed behind the RV.....why are we talking about 4x4 SUVs etc? You want something bigger to whip around the rear end and get around town when you get there.
I would think the lightest, towable vehicle, flat would be a. The most economical and b. The easiest to tow and c. The safest.
I am missing something here? Are not Toads vehiclesbeing towed behind the RV? I would think you would want the lightest, maneuverable vehicle behind.
However, if you are trailering a trailer (say under 5000#) the Ecoboost twin turbo Explorer is great. No hesitation, reasonable gas mileage...(not 20mpg when towing) but adequate. Another possibility is the Toyota 4-Runner.....getting similar miles per gallon on the non-turbo version. Both of these vehicles get reasonable mpg but going at it in different ways.
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We TOAD a 2020 Ford Ranger, has to be 4X4 model. Love it.
Santee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:16 AM   #13
Nailbender

We tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it works great but it has 4 wheel drive with a Quadra-Trac II transfer case which they don't all have
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:

Thanks for any comments.

Jerry
We moved from a 2012 Ford Edge to a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Edge is more "car like" and the Grand Cherokee is more "truck like" which I prefer. Importantly I would not consider the Grand Cherokee bigger other than a couple of inches in overall height and maybe a couple more inches in storage behind the seats. A big advantage to the Grand Cherokee is the ability to disengage the transfer case for towing.

I hope that this helps!

Don
Old 04-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #15
Just Ama

Quote:

Thanks for any comments.

Jerry
We have a 2018 Ford Explorer and love it. Tows 4 wheels down, and we have the braking system installed so it's an easy hook up, flip the brake switch and we're set to go.. and with 3rd row seating (which we've never used) there is plenty of room inside for stuff and people.
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #16
blubugger

Well, I must say 'mea culpa' for my shortcomings! What some folks use as a Toad, some of us simpler folks use to tow. So, now that I am educated in 'tow' vs Toad....I must say that in our case we use a 2015 FoExplorer Sport to tow a smaller Micro Minnie 2106ds. And that it does very well.
And since I now have seen vehicles of that size (or larger) as a Toad...behind a larger tow vehicle, I have seen the light!
Keeping things simple may work for some of us RVers, but some people do tow vehicles like full sized pickups, Suburbans or whatever have you.
Enjoy the trip!
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 and it flat tows great behind our 2018 Minnie-Winnie 31ft. Approximately 4100 lbs. dry weight.
D Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLady View Post
and with 3rd row seating (which we've never used) there is plenty of room inside for stuff and people.
We also have the third row seating but the only time we use it is with Grandchildren. They love it. Otherwise it's set flat for lots of hauling area.

We did put six adults in there once. Pretty tight.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad