Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

I think there is some apples and oranges going on in the state discussions.

First: If my vehicle is registered as legal in my state then it is legal to operate in other states. Examples: If my state doesn't require emission tests, I can still operate it in other states. If my state doesn't require a license plate on my trailer I can operate that trailer in other states. If my state doesn't require safety inspections I can still operate that vehicle in other states. Now if my head lights or tail lights don't work or my brakes don't work that is a different issue. Of course the state w/o safety inspections probably won't let you operate that vehicle either, once they discover the safety defect.

Second: What I think Wayne is talking about is things like over length or over width vehicles, or triple (double?) towing. However that has nothing to do with how a vehicle is registered in a different state.

Third: What I am unclear about is if my state states I have to have auxiliary brakes on a towed vehicle over 3500 pounds and state "X" states it has to be for towing over 2500 pounds, which one is in affect for my towing a vehicle registered in my state towing another vehicle registered my state that weighs 2800 pounds in state "X". I am legal in my state, but am I illegal in state X?
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Third: What I am unclear about is if my state states I have to have auxiliary brakes on a towed vehicle over 3500 pounds and state "X" states it has to be for towing over 2500 pounds, which one is in affect for my towing a vehicle registered in my state towing another vehicle registered my state that weighs 2800 pounds in state "X". I am legal in my state, but am I illegal in state X?
And I suspect that it makes a difference to the insurance company as well. I have not checked this out, but if you are in violation of the law in a state that you have an accident in, does that mean that you may lose your insurance coverage? I don't know, but it is something that should be clearer.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #43
Winnebago Master

Need a lawyer that is familiar with this to chide in. To many different opinions to try and determine which is right.

Personally, I'm not going to worry about it and cross that bridge if it ever comes up, if I get stopped.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

We have been towing various trailers/toads/boats for over 50 years. Our policy is that we put brakes on any vehicle or trailer which is over 1500#. Every one of our toads has had a braking system.

As for the capacity of the Sprinter; we have towed a Lincoln MKX over 10,000 miles with absolutely no problems, including Western Grades. We go up grades faster than I did with a Holiday Ramble 40 footer with a Cummins ISC 350 hp. We go faster than the 18 wheelers. The Mercedes seems to also handle the down grades well. We try and not use service brakes going down grade.

We do keep within the gross combined vehicular weight...If you have brakes and keep within the weight limits you should be go to go.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

One common thing I keep reading is that almost every View owner who tows has a 2017-2020 rig. The newer rigs have, I think, 30 more hp and I don’t know the increased torque figure. My ‘08 has all of 154 hp and I’d like to know how many are towing with this powertrain?
Boomlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #46
RonBonoSr

Towing a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk

I tow my 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which weighs 4,250 plus cargo,with no problem at all with my Ford V 10!
RonBonoSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

hello I am from Germany near me (Stuttgart) will be the Mercedes Sprinter

"German name" built.

They have an approved total weight (solo) of 3500 kg (US 7,716.2 lb). In addition, there are trailers with up to 3500 kg.

Driving in the mountains with a trailer, even slower 10% is a challenge. but with your team,
12 liters Diesel are OK

Towing is prohibited in europe except in the netherlands. Greetings from South Germany Wolfgang
Chief Wolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #48

I'm the OP of this thread. I want to thank everyone for the invaluable information and opinions.

After much consideration, I decided to get a vehicle that could be comfortably towed behind my 2020 View. In addition to being the Toad, it will also be convenient to have a second car. I looked at the Chevy Spark, Kia Soul and settled on a 2015 Honda Fit with a 6-speed manual transmission. First, I have to say the Fit is a kick to drive. It has lots of room for a sub-compact, especially with the back seats folded down, so we have plenty of room for the dog, day packs, paddle boards (inflatable) and other gear.

I installed a Blue Ox base plate (I already have a Blue Ox tow bar), Roadmaster Universal wiring kit, Roadmaster Even Brake portable braking system and a Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver (for my bike rack). The installations went pretty well. The hardest part was wiring in the Brake-Lite Relay for the braking system up under the dash. I spent several hours lying on the floor in front of the driver's seat with very limited room to work.

I'm very happy with my decision. On my test drives while towing the Fit I could hardly tell it was there, unlike towing the Jeep Cherokee. The curb weight of the Fit is a mere 2650, compared to the Cherokee at just over 4000. Having a toad will allow us to do the things we want to do (hiking, paddle boarding, sightseeing, etc) without having to disconnect utilities and stow everything in the View to be able to travel in it. Plus, now we have a second car. Can't wait hit the road.
BadMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #49
Winnebago Owner

I think you made a good choice, while the hitch is rated 5000lbs, I see with the weight ratings limit the tow to about 4300lbs assuming you satisfy hitch conditions. I have gone without a toad so far, getting to view because it is relatively short and really only slightly longer than a delivery van. It is some extra work to disconnect all the hookups, but I'll see how it goes.
misteracng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:18 AM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMed View Post
I'm the OP of this thread. I want to thank everyone for the invaluable information and opinions.

After much consideration, I decided to get a vehicle that could be comfortably towed behind my 2020 View. In addition to being the Toad, it will also be convenient to have a second car. I looked at the Chevy Spark, Kia Soul and settled on a 2015 Honda Fit with a 6-speed manual transmission. First, I have to say the Fit is a kick to drive. It has lots of room for a sub-compact, especially with the back seats folded down, so we have plenty of room for the dog, day packs, paddle boards (inflatable) and other gear.

I installed a Blue Ox base plate (I already have a Blue Ox tow bar), Roadmaster Universal wiring kit, Roadmaster Even Brake portable braking system and a Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver (for my bike rack). The installations went pretty well. The hardest part was wiring in the Brake-Lite Relay for the braking system up under the dash. I spent several hours lying on the floor in front of the driver's seat with very limited room to work.

I'm very happy with my decision. On my test drives while towing the Fit I could hardly tell it was there, unlike towing the Jeep Cherokee. The curb weight of the Fit is a mere 2650, compared to the Cherokee at just over 4000. Having a toad will allow us to do the things we want to do (hiking, paddle boarding, sightseeing, etc) without having to disconnect utilities and stow everything in the View to be able to travel in it. Plus, now we have a second car. Can't wait hit the road.

Perfect

Even with the Chieftain, I'm only allowed 4850 lb. pull we only take the little ones with us. I myself have a Suzuki Vitara from 1993 with 2973lb. in the USA this is called Santana, here are pictures from Spain 2018

Chief Wolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

oh Photo in not running
Wolfgang
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_121655.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	177117   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_123341.jpg