Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Car Trailer weight and balance

So I have a problem with easily meeting the traditional weight and balance "rules" for towing a car on a trailer. For now, let's stick with the big picture simple issues that are all that most of us have needed. IOW, LMK if I'm forgetting something obvious.

In the past, hitting a 10-12 % tongue weight has been no problem as I've tow race cars (light weight, close to 50-50% balance) on my 14 ft open trailer or an enclosed 20 ft trailer. But my current situation is a bit different.

I'm going to tow a Mini Cooper (3000#) on a 14 ft. open trailer (1300#). (Total weight 4300# and text book tongue weight = 430#). Tow capacity on my 2017 Sunstar 30T (31 ft.) is 5000#. The basic problem that I'm addressing is that the Mini is 2000# or so front axle and 1000# rear axle. So If I drive it straight on to the trailer (easy to do by myself = most preferred), I need to have the back wheels right next to the rear edge of the trailer (more exposed to wind drag and debris = not preferred). And if I back the Mini onto the trailer (requires a spotter = not preferred) I need to pull it as far forward as possible (more protected from flying debris= preferred). So, I'm looking for a way to move the Cooper farther forward on the trailer than the 10% target tongue weight of 430#.

The basic assumptions for any adjusting of trailer weight and balance are:
1. weight too far back on trailer (light tongue weight) = trailer instability
2. weight too far forward (heavy tongue weight) = possible tow vehicle instability from weighting rear of tow vehicle too much and lightening the front steering tires.
3. tongue weight can be increased up to 15% max if it does not significantly change the balance of the weight on the tow vehicle tires. The manual states that 10% is a minimum, implying that more is possible (" The vertical tongue load value of 10 percent of drawn rating comes from the collective experience that 10% is the minimum value that provides stable towing of a trailer. " )

Now I know I should do an actual truck scale weighing fully loaded including fresh water and full gas tank and do a detailed weight and balance calculation. But I'm not there yet, so let's stick to the big picture non negotiable issues. What about my conclusion that 750# (15% of 5000# tow capacity) on the trailer tongue could be fine? This would allow me to move the Cooper facing forward a bit further forward than a 430# tongue weight would give. And of course we will be loading the motor home as the Winnebago engineers assumed we would (nothing unusually heavy in the bedroom).

Comments?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Sadly, the maximum tongue weight on the Sunstar is only 500 Lb:
https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...specifications
You might be able to reinforce your frame to safely handle the additional vertical load, but I think that would be a little iffy on a cost basis.
Tongue weight provides the damping force to sway, so you could also add an anti-sway damper, should you not be able to keep the minimum 10% load on the hitch, or move the trailer wheels backward. Also remember that the distance from hitch to hub should be within ¼", one side as compared to the other. This misalignment is one of the driving forces for sway, so it is always good to have that fine-tuned.
Of course, you could just install a back-up camera on the Mini, and back the thing on yourself.
Another thought is that you could also install left & right mirrors on the front of the trailer, facing backward toward your Mini.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

OK did not see that. Thanks.

Tags
weight