Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone using a Brake Buddy Advantage with the remote control sensor with a Desiel Pusher and a rear wall cloths closet? I have a different sensor system that will not work unless the closet doors are open. I want to change to a Brake Buddy Advantage but want to make sure it will work. I have a Journey 39K.
Any help input is appreciated.
Thanks
Dick
Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone using a Brake Buddy Advantage with the remote control sensor with a Desiel Pusher and a rear wall cloths closet? I have a different sensor system that will not work unless the closet doors are open. I want to change to a Brake Buddy Advantage but want to make sure it will work. I have a Journey 39K.
Any help input is appreciated.
Thanks
Dick
Old 11-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

I have the Brake Buddy Vantage, and the remote works OK.

Although I have a Dutch Star, it does have a full width rear clothes closet with sliding mirrored doors.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Dirk, Thanks I'm sure it's the same setup and sounds like it should work for me.
Thanks Again,
The Sunde's
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You're referring to the "Vantage".
I have one, and the 1st receiver kept losing it's host in the toad. I called Brake Buddy who sent me a new receiver and it's been rock solid since then. I did a range check with the BB sitting on the bench in the garage one night and walked down 7 houses before I got bored and decided this one works. This system is a 902-927MHz Spread Spectrum device, so the penetration is pretty good. I'm not sure what RF technology the stand alone units on the "normal" Brake Buddy" use.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Dick ...

We have a 2004 39W Journey (closets across the back ... crosswise bed)

I have a very old Brake Buddy with the Alert system.

I have found that I need to hold both closet doors toward the street in order for my alert system to work dependably.

I made a stick (like a mini stilt) to hold both doors in that direction. The stick is 3/4" x 3/4" and long enough to hold the rear door completely closed ... there is a short cleat fastened to it to hold the front door open against it's stop.

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE]Originally posted by skigramp:
Dick ...

We have a 2004 39W Journey (closets across the back ... crosswise bed)

I have a very old Brake Buddy with the Alert system.

I have found that I need to hold both closet doors toward the street in order for my alert system to work dependably.

QUOTE]
I was using the wire provided for the alert sending unit... I called BB and they suggested to hook the sending unit directly on the BB Unit itself for a stronger signal. With the rear closet as others have it now works much better. Don't know if you tried that?
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have a 5 year old BB and my MH has a rear closet and the alert feature works fine. When I hook up the sending unit to the BB I just loop it over the sun visor of the toad so it has a clear path to the MH.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I called BB and they suggested to hook the sending unit directly on the BB Unit itself for a stronger signal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Question for Ed. How did you accomplish this?

It has always seemed to me that the wire running to my sending unit was too light ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

On the top of Brake Buddy there are two female plugs where the cord plugs in, I think a black and white. The sending unit/transmitter on mine has male plugs, it just plugs in directly to the BB Body without using the cord.
I think it lost too much current from the BB Body to the sending unit, making the signal weaker when using the cord.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote