Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
AWC
Winnebago Camper

Brakes Lock Up When Backing

Last year we purchased a new 2020 Winnebago Minnie 2201MB which we tow with a 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with tow package.
We just returned from a 5 week, 5250 mile round trip out west and back. When backing the trailer into its storage space we noticed that the electric brakes were locking up. Pulling forward was no problem but backing up activated the trailers brakes.

Where do we begin troubleshooting this?
AWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It may be that your brake controller is set too high. That would be the most obvious cause.

It wouldn't tend to lock up going forward even if you had it set too high, but you could have issues in an emergency stop?????? I'm thinking the trailer brakes might start skidding too much. Sometimes less is more.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Some drum brakes have auto adjusters that tighten the shoes when backing. Is it possible they are too tight and when backing you're tightening them even more?

NOTE: This is a wild-ass guess. And should be treated as such.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Some drum brakes have auto adjusters that tighten the shoes when backing. Is it possible they are too tight and when backing you're tightening them even more?

NOTE: This is a wild-ass guess. And should be treated as such.
LOL.

Brakes often work differently going forwards and backwards. So for example, it might be easier to go forward with your emergency brake accidentally on than backing up (or visa versa). So yeah if the breaks are adjusted too tight I could see backing might be different than going forward.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My dolly has surge brakes. They will engage when going in reverse. I have a key for use when baking up I can insert which will prevent them from engaging.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
My dolly has surge brakes. They will engage when going in reverse. I have a key for use when baking up I can insert which will prevent them from engaging.
Yes, surge brakes have known problems backing up, particularly up hill. Presumably the OP is talking about electric breaks.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:29 AM   #7
AWC
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Yes, surge brakes have known problems backing up, particularly up hill. Presumably the OP is talking about electric breaks.
Yes, electric brakes. It's odd to me because they lock up when backing without even touching the brake.

I'll hook up again in the storage lot and play with the truck's brake controller to see if that's the problem but if that doesn't work I'm not sure where to look next.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC View Post
Yes, electric brakes. It's odd to me because they lock up when backing without even touching the brake..
That is odd. Is this maybe only when you're turning? It could be just the effect of tandem axles, particularly if you're noticing it only on dirt/gravel.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Another thought, the OP said his truck came with the towing package. I'm assuming that's an OEM brake controller, but if not it might be an inertia unit and that might be causing issues.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
AWC
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Another thought, the OP said his truck came with the towing package. I'm assuming that's an OEM brake controller, but if not it might be an inertia unit and that might be causing issues.
It is OEM.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

What happens if you disconnect the trailer electrical connecter from the truck - any difference? Are you sure your trailer brakes actually work correctly when going forward?
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
What happens if you disconnect the trailer electrical connecter from the truck - any difference? Are you sure your trailer brakes actually work correctly when going forward?
If you could do that in a safe place disconnecting and backing up would be a good test. It would tell you if it was the controller or something mechanical with the brakes, such as being over-adjusted.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #13
AWC
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Yes, we tested both directions after noticing the reverse issue. I like the idea of disconnecting the electrical connection from the truck and testing. I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of that myself.

I'll run to the storage lot this week and give that a try.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC View Post
Yes, we tested both directions after noticing the reverse issue. I like the idea of disconnecting the electrical connection from the truck and testing. I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of that myself.

I'll run to the storage lot this week and give that a try.
I'm sorry I didn't mention it, but I was thinking more of a regular thing you would do each time, which I wouldn't consider safe. So I didn't mention it.

BTW, you might want to haul the trailer around a bit before doing this test so that the brakes are warm and in similar condition to when you last experienced this symptom.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Unplug it first, see what happens.

If that fixes it it could be a short in the plug/system where the reverse lights energizes the brake circuit or a loose/bad grounding could also cause that.

Also, are all 4 locking up ?, could be one magnet not releasing also
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

please let us know what you determine. thank you.
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #17
AWC
Winnebago Camper

I went out to the storage facility a few days ago and hooked up to test. I initially did not connect the wiring harness so that I could see if the reverse lockup continued without a braking source. It didn't.
Then I plugged in and tried again and was surprised to see that again, it didn't.
I can only assume that MicroMinnie's theory that I had a bad connection that somehow caused a temporary short or grounding situation which caused the initial lockup.

We have no additional trips planned until December but I'm considering taking it out at some point soon and let the brakes heat up enough to see if that might duplicate the problem. I'll report how that pans out within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone with suggestions, I just wish I could report a definitive solution.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Pictures, Lots of Pictures !!!!!!
Let us see pictures of the trailer Tongue and your brake controller.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

It sounds like you have surge brakes on your trailer. I like their simplicity. When your vehicle brakes, the inertia of the trailer pushes into your tow vehicle, and in doing so depresses a master cylinder, like pushing on the break pedal of the trailer. The trouble is backing up creates the same breaking action. Some surge trailer brakes have a rod you stick in, for when you back up. In some systems, if you back gently, they don't activate. Read the manual on your model of surge braking system.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes