Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

The 2006 was a washout ..... Guy said it was in great shape .... no collision damage ... when I pulled in it was out in front with a nice big crunch in the front right fender .... and the inside was again ratty ... as they say you get what you pay for. I'm going to start looking in a different price range .....
fredni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Which ever one you decide on, get a good supplemental brake system.
I've used Roadmaster products for over ten years. As far as I'm concerned,they are the best.
Don't let anyone talk you out of getting one no matter what brand.
When you're looking for a braking system, check out NSA's ReadyBrake and ReadyBrute Elite products. They're 100% mechanical so no electric/electronic failure issues and are well regarded by those who own them (including me). Most of the negative comments I've seen are from people who don't or haven't owned them. They're also much less expensive than other options. The ReadyBrake is just the braking system while the ReadyBrute Elite is a tow bar with an integrated braking system.

http://www.readybrake.com/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstar 2012 View Post
I have flat towed a 2001 Toyota Highlander 4cyl, front wheel drive, for 11 years. Put the vehicle in neutral make sure the parking brake is off, used a brake buddy system, towed at 60mph and stopped every 250 miles and started the engine then ran it for 5 minutes. Shut if off and back on the road. Towed miles was about 50,000. Payed attention to the tire wear since those miles don’t show on odometer. Total miles of driveling and towing were ~180,000 when I sold it. 4500 pounds which affected mpg. Now flat towing standard shift Honda Fit at 2100 pounds. Mpg has gone from 6-8 mpg to 8-10 mpg. V-10 5 spd with a tow/haul button on transmission. Started towing the highlander with a 2001 30ft Itasca class C that we bought in 2006. Contained towing with the 2012 35f Sunstar till March or this year when I sold it and bought the Honda Fit.
I'm surprised about towing the Highlander flat like that. All the guides shows it being a Dolly Toad. We're looking at Minnie Winnie's and having to add a dolly as ours is a front wheel drive only also.
Here's what Toyota shows:
https://www.toyotaoflancasterav.com/...wing-guide.htm

Our 2007 weighs in at 3750 lbs and a dolly at 6-700 lbs so we ought to be in good shape. I feel good staying below a 20% safety margin of the 7,500lb tow hitch.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
I'm surprised about towing the Highlander flat like that. All the guides shows it being a Dolly Toad. We're looking at Minnie Winnie's and having to add a dolly as ours is a front wheel drive only also.
Here's what Toyota shows:
https://www.toyotaoflancasterav.com/...wing-guide.htm

Our 2007 weighs in at 3750 lbs and a dolly at 6-700 lbs so we ought to be in good shape. I feel good staying below a 20% safety margin of the 7,500lb tow hitch.
Apparently the 2001 was flat-towable while the 2007 isn't. I saw some posts that mentioned transmission pumps that might allow flat-towing. Check this link for info specific to your Highlander:

Towing – Remco
Old 11-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Apparently the 2001 was flat-towable while the 2007 isn't. I saw some posts that mentioned transmission pumps that might allow flat-towing. Check this link for info specific to your Highlander:

Towing – Remco
I'm afraid by the time we bought the transmission pump, tow bar, brakes etc we would save a lot with staying to a dolly. I've read from other posts that from time to time they can be had for about 1/2 price on Craigs List etc etc
Old 11-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

If you find out that dolly towing isn't for you the pump is always an option. I figure a lot depends on how often you'll be disconnecting. For someone who travels to a destination, disconnects for a relatively long time before reconnecting for the trip home, dolly towing would be fine.

That's just not our style of RV'g. Although we've yet to tow our recently flat-tow equipped toad on a trip, when we had our TTs, we pretty much disconnected and used the truck every couple of days, even while in route to a destination. Then again, my wife is disabled so our situation is more restrictive than most.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:44 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
If you find out that dolly towing isn't for you the pump is always an option. I figure a lot depends on how often you'll be disconnecting. For someone who travels to a destination, disconnects for a relatively long time before reconnecting for the trip home, dolly towing would be fine.

That's just not our style of RV'g. Although we've yet to tow our recently flat-tow equipped toad on a trip, when we had our TTs, we pretty much disconnected and used the truck every couple of days, even while in route to a destination. Then again, my wife is disabled so our situation is more restrictive than most.
Thanks BobC
Similar situation for me. I have Stenosis, Scoliosis, Herniated and Ruptured Disc. I'm a 5 year stroke survivor. I'm still pretty amazingly agile considering (bull headed Dutch/German Farm Stock)
One of the reasons we're looking at a Class C vs a TT is set up is so much easier. No difficult hitching, WD's, anti sway bars. Actually getting on the ground to strap the front wheels on a dolly would be easier. My wife is a Farm Girl and is handy and willing to help "dolly up"
We will be doing mostly boondocking enroute to destinations to where we'll stay a couple of days, unhook the Highlander to sight see, run errands etc. Plus stay for extended times(week) at National Parks etc.
If the dolly turns out to be too much then we have the option of going the flat tow way.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #28
Veteran & RV Owner

Just for the record, I tow a 2018 Ford Explorer Platinum 4x4 behind our 2018 Adventurer 37F. The Explorer weighs about 4400 pounds, and the tow capacity of the motorhome hitch is 5000 pounds. I have taken the toad on two short trips and it towed very nicely.....hardly even noticed it back there on acceleration in the motorhome.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, weight