Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Best bike rack for a 2021 Winnebago View

Looking for recommendations on the best bike rack for two bikes for a Winnebago View 24D. Thanks for sharing!
flattrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We recently purchased a Hollywood E-bike rack for our Travato. We did purchase E-bikes, which are quite a bit more heavy than a standard Mt. Bike. Our Rad Mini’s weigh 60lbs without the batteries. My point is if you plan on buying E-bikes, get an E-bike rack. They will still carry your regular bikes, but if you decided to upgrade to an E-bike, you’ll already have a rack for them.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Raxel on getting a rack that can handle the extra weight. There are many great brands to choose from. I also recommend getting a platform rack vs a hanging rack. You pay a bit more, but the increased stability is worth it and better for the bikes and RV.

Regardless of where you purchase a great place to browse is Etrailer.com. They have all types with detailed specs, pictures and reviews. We went with the one below for our View and it's the best rack we've had.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...s/HLY64FR.html
Redd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Team

The rack I've been using for the past 10 years or so is not rated for the bikes we carry. It's for bikes under 30 lb each. So, we've been on the hunt for a new bike rack. Wow, how this market has changed in the past few years!

Lots of $500 to $800 2-bike platform racks out there now. But even many of the $500 racks are not capable of carrying a couple of eBikes due to weight ratings.

I searched a LOT of racks and just last week bought this one from Amazon:

Vibrelli Bike Hitch Rack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B5M9C4R

I haven't used it yet - so it's too early to tell but it's 130lb weight rating, tilting and locking features looked pretty good. At least I hope to find it a good rack. We have a 6 week 3000 mile trip coming up in 3-weeks. I guess I'll know for sure after that trip is complete.

PS. A lot of racks are not rated to be used behind an RV. They say the motion behind an RV is hard on the rack and therefore they are not warrantied for that usage. And many add behind a Toad as well to that. My new rack is not rated for behind a Toad or RV. But neither was my old rack that spent 10 years behind my travel trailer, Class C, Class C Toads, Class A and Class A Toad.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Vita 24P

Highly recommend the Hollywood rack for E bikes, I carry two Rad bikes and just completed a 6k journey on all types of terrain. Best Bike rack for the buck and very well designed. They provide everything you need except a cover. Loading and unloading bikes is fairly easy (I am 71 years old) and that is a plus, there are U tube videos on the easiest method. It does tilt to facilitate this.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
Highly recommend the Hollywood rack for E bikes, I carry two Rad bikes and just completed a 6k journey on all types of terrain. Best Bike rack for the buck and very well designed.
Hollywood makes 6 eBike racks - which one did you get?
Old 04-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hollywood makes 6 eBike racks - which one did you get?
The dual bike carrier designed for fat tire wheels....easily has locking hitch system based on 2 inch receiver. Absolutely no noise or issues. Very well made product and can carry 160lbs of bikes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-07-2021, 01:46 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hollywood's racks for e-bikes have been out of stock since October at dealers across the country and even direct from Hollywood. I spoke to someone at etrailer.com a day ago and he said he had 50 backorders and possibly 100 racks due in until late July.

A problem with many racks that will support the weight of an e-bike is that they require a hard connection on a diagonal from the receiver and that only works if the RV has an exposed bumper to attach them to. This would not work with our Navion.

Need to also be careful that the rack you buy will accommodate the width of the tired on the bicycles. Many e-bikes have very fat 5" tires and most bike racks only work with tires up to 3 inches in width.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Hollywood's racks for e-bikes have been out of stock since October at dealers across the country and even direct from Hollywood. I spoke to someone at etrailer.com a day ago and he said he had 50 backorders and possibly 100 racks due in until late July.

A problem with many racks that will support the weight of an e-bike is that they require a hard connection on a diagonal from the receiver and that only works if the RV has an exposed bumper to attach them to. This would not work with our Navion.

Need to also be careful that the rack you buy will accommodate the width of the tired on the bicycles. Many e-bikes have very fat 5" tires and most bike racks only work with tires up to 3 inches in width.
That is the advantage of the Hollywood rack it has a locking mechanism on the receiver to stop all movement. Works great on my Vita (sprinter chassis) motorhome. I looked at it during driving with rear camera, and was solid as a rock.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We bought the same Hollywood rack as Mr. Lenore. It’s the same model they offer on the Rad Ebike site. It’s very sturdy and stable. I did have to purchase a crossbar for my wife’s Rad step thru mini. They were sold out on the Hollywood site, but we clicked on a box that sent us a notification when they were available. So when I got the email, I jumped on it.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Vita 24P

Since i weld i made my own crossbars for under $20. This facilitates the locking hold down
Old 04-09-2021, 05:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
Since i weld i made my own crossbars for under $20. This facilitates the locking hold down
I wish I would have known that Mr. Lenore. You could have saved me $40!

Tags
view, winnebago