Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Attaching tow chains

When I was first shown how to attach chains when towing a vehicle one of the things I was told was that the "S" connector should be attached to the tow vehicle hitch with the open end up rather than down, and I have done so whenever towing, but I have never understood why that was any better than having the open end down.

I just watched one of those "how to" videos about connecting a trailer and it also attached those "S" rings in the up position. Why is that any better than down? What is the purpose of doing it that way?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Only thing I can think of is that they can't be bounced out of the hole, but if you are using either the spring loaded or rubber keepers that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Good question and I've debated that with myself!
The only difference I see is theory that as we stop the weight and momentum of the chain may tend to make the hook go forward, making the open end of the hook closer to coming off the hitch hole, but when we put it in from the top that same momentum is more likely to make the hook engage further instead of less?
Private theory if that makes any sense?
Not sure I see enough difference with the really long/deep hooks I see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hooks.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	178829  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Good question and I've debated that with myself!
The only difference I see is theory that as we stop the weight and momentum of the chain may tend to make the hook go forward, making the open end of the hook closer to coming off the hitch hole, but when we put it in from the top that same momentum is more likely to make the hook engage further instead of less?
Private theory if that makes any sense?
Not sure I see enough difference with the really long/deep hooks I see.
Interesting theory, and it makes more sense than anything I can come up with. However the "S" hook has a spring mounted clip that blocks any chance that the hook might slip off, so I don't really see any advantage in attaching from the bottom rather than from the top. Perhaps it was important when there was no such clip. I sometimes wonder if we continue to do something based on an earlier defined method when the reason for using that earlier method no longer applies or is misunderstood.

When I started teaching math at one college I was given a syllabus that left certain chapters in the text book out and told to follow it. Being a new faculty member I did as I was told. Years later when I became department head I researched out why those chapters were left out and found out that the syllabus had been from a summer class taught by a temp and she had left them out because she felt she did not have the time for them, and the entire faculty had just picked up the syllabus and followed it, assuming there was some good reason. Of course I put those chapter back into the course, but sometimes I think much of the world works like that.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Totally agree, we do a lot of things, "just because" !
But not it may be even worse because we see so many do things, just because they read it on the internet!
My tow setup has super large cables and super large snap hooks that it would take an elephant to get them to fall off but I still tend to think when it gets awkward to put the snaps on from the top!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yep! My hooks are the heavy ones with the spring clip and the hitch is a flat piece of steel with a hole on each side of the hitch. I have to hold the snap open, slide it on the flat piece until the hook hits the hole, rotate it and release the snap spring. I cannot fathom it coming off that way but I can see where it might if I reversed it and came up from the underside.

Configuration is the key and the type of hook. I would not use an "S" hook without some type of holding mechanism.

But, "It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it!"
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Yep! My hooks are the heavy ones with the spring clip and the hitch is a flat piece of steel with a hole on each side of the hitch. I have to hold the snap open, slide it on the flat piece until the hook hits the hole, rotate it and release the snap spring. I cannot fathom it coming off that way but I can see where it might if I reversed it and came up from the underside.

Configuration is the key and the type of hook. I would not use an "S" hook without some type of holding mechanism.
Coming up from the underside is what is generally recommended in those videos, and that is what I don't understand. In any case the "S" hooks I use do have the spring loaded snap that holds the hooks onto the hitch. The ones that came with my older Blue Ox flat towing tower came with rubber inserts that were supposed to keep the hooks in place but I prefer the spring loaded snaps as they seem safer to me.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I think I would prefer the ones with the spring keepers over the ones with the rubber keepers, but in truth I have never found mine rubber keepers in a position other than where I have put them.

With practice I have the hook up down to less than 10 minutes and unhooking at about 5. Takes longer to run through the check list that it does to do the work.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Irrelevant. I've done both for years - have never seen one come off the hitch. do what makes you feel right.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow