Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2023, 03:59 PM   #1
Site Team

Arrive at campsite but bike is not there!

Monday we left for a 1000 mile trip to Tucson for the month. We were ready early so we left one day early but decided to go real close to home to a resort only 60 mi away. We loaded everything just like normal, including installing my bike rack and securing my bike. When we pulled into our site my wife got out with the dog and immediately told me, “The Bike’s gone!”

Since we were only 60mi from home I quickly unhooked our toad and repeated the trip home and back looking for the bike, or the wrecked bike but saw absolutely nothing.

Here’s the details you’re going to ask - when we got to our site the bike rack was perfectly fine. Nothing bent, broken or missing. The rack is both rated for my bike’s weight and for use behind a Toad or even a TT. When I loaded the bike it was all normal and exactly like the other dozens of times I’ve loaded it before.

Here’s one difference that I think doomed me. I always lock the bike with a cable lock and this time I started that process and something or someone asked me to do something and I neglected to go back to put the cable lock on the bike.

Looking at the bike rack you would swear the bike was stolen BUT we didn’t stop anywhere between home and the campground. So that can’t be the case.

I’ve taken this loss hard. I built this mediocre bike I bought in 2018 into a great and capable DIY electric bike with all updated and improved parts. To me the bike was perfect. I had over 2000 miles on it and I always enjoy ridding it here in Tucson. They have great bike paths here.

Sorry to go on, but as I said, I’ve taken this loss hard. Here’s the bike from my rides in Tucson last year.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3001AF99-8072-49DC-AD3C-163543D1531F.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	184987  
Old 01-14-2023, 04:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Here’s my usual travel setup with toad and bike rack. In this photo I had a cover on the bike due to rain but the bike was not covered for this, it’s final, trip.

The rack is rated for the weight and this type of use. I remove the heavy battery for travel (and still have it in my SUV) the bike’s total weight is under 30 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2EBE0EB8-3A7F-444C-888F-3F03E63EB090.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	522.3 KB
ID:	184988  
Old 01-14-2023, 04:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

So sorry mate...I tend to have issues when I stop in the middle of a task as well. Any chance it is still at home?
Old 01-14-2023, 04:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Nope, as I said, I returned home. Even the neighbor saw me return and asked what was wrong. I told him and he said he saw us leave and it was there when we drove away.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

That is just not right. I wonder if it rolled down into a deep ditch when it came disengaged from the rack. Always that possibility. Or into some tall grass.
fyreplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Maybe, but if it came off the RV at 60 mph I doubt it would “roll” as much as bounce on broken wheels. I scanned the road both directions. Not only no sign of anything similar but no sign of the bright yellow rain jacket in the bike bag. Surely that would be ejected in the crash.

No one flagged us down or waved to let us know anything was amiss.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Did you sit at a stop light or sign? you know how long it takes to remove the bike from the rack when it's unlocked.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Did you sit at a stop light or sign? you know how long it takes to remove the bike from the rack when it's unlocked.
Not for some long period of time. The only time we sat was at the RV park when I went inside to register. But we had reservations and they were ready for us. Not waiting long at all and hard to think we wouldn’t have noticed that commotion.

I have thought of one possibility. The rack uses a hook that clamps on to the top tube between the headset and the seat post. If that tube came adrift the bike would simply tumble out of the rack and there would be no indication of what happened. Only there was zero indication that that was about to happen or even likely to happen.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:17 PM   #9
Site Team

Hi Creativepart,
Yes, somehow it must have shaken-off the rack; what a bummer.
Very sorry to hear about this.
Eagle5
Old 01-15-2023, 08:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You are always so kind and helpful to everyone on the site...we all feel for you.
Safe travels out here, we've got some rain and wind the next three days or so...and then some of that cold Texas weather. Well, not quite that cold!
Old 01-15-2023, 09:15 AM   #11
Site Team

Thanks for the kind words.

We’ve worried greatly that the bike caused someone else damage or even created an accident for someone else when the bike came off the Toad. But we feel sure someone would have reported this and no one has yet.

We have made light of the loss because it’s just a thing. Nothing that can’t be replaced.

Ten years ago we were in Hawaii and a wave hit me and took a pair of sunglasses I had just purchased off my face. We searched that point in the beach over and over but no luck. So now when something is lost my wife will joke and say, “We should go to Hawaii and check that place at the beach where you lost the sunglasses.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:40 PM   #12
Site Team

Quick update.

Nothing helps a problem like throwing money at it. I bought a new bike (2022 model on sale) and started ordering all the things I had installed to modify my old bike. I bought many of those mods ( grips, stems, seat, etc) on Amazon and you can just go into your order history and buy all the stuff again. Easy.

AND… I found an accessory that the manufacturer of my bike rack (Swagman TRAVELER XC2 RV Approved ) makes that locks the bike to the rack at the hitch pin. I never knew this existed before, obviously.

I’ll post a photo of the new bike when (if) it ever stops raining here in Tucson.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Old 01-16-2023, 08:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

After I think that I've done my final walk around the coach before leaving , I walk around two more times ,checking everything one more time .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:08 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
After I think that I've done my final walk around the coach before leaving , I walk around two more times ,checking everything one more time .
I do as well but sometimes I don’t feel like I really see anything. You have to consciously pay attention to specific details otherwise you only kind of pay attention to what you are looking at.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Sorry to hear, look at the bright side, although somebody probably got a free bike at least you didn't cause an accident, the loss of the bike is nothing compared to that.

Where do you ride in Tucson? I have 3 bikes, one is a Specialized Como ebike. I live here in Tucson and ride part of The Loop every day when it's at least 60F and not raining! For parts I like Ajo Bikes and I can ride there on The Loop.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:29 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I do as well but sometimes I don’t feel like I really see anything. You have to consciously pay attention to specific details otherwise you only kind of pay attention to what you are looking at.
I am guilty of that as well and your experience is a wake up call for you and others here. So there is the second bright side of your loss so far! Feel better yet?
Old 01-17-2023, 08:42 AM   #18
Site Team

We’re in the Lazy Days KOA which is in South Tucson. There is an entrance to the Julian Wash Bikeway about .2 mi away. Most years I’ll haul the bike up to parking spots near Catalina for a ride. With the electric bike I can easily go 20 mi out and back so some days I go up to downtown and other days I’ll go out East to Rita Rd and then around the AFB.

This rain has been epic so I haven’t really been able to ride the new bike more than a quick ride around the bike store parking lot.

Now the rain has ended but the temps are in the 50’s all week.

Last night’s rain put a Texas gully washer to shame.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:53 AM   #19
Site Team

My new bike is a Specialized Rockhopper 29 Expert. They are $350 off this month before the 2023 models arrive. When I get home next month I’ll convert it to an ebike. I got it at Oro Valley Bikes on Sunrise. I saw the Specialized Como line there but a bit too pricey for me and I have had great luck making a DIY ebike out of a good hard tail MTB.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:53 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

I am located central near Reid Park. I ride the Aviation to Kino Sports Park and around the retention ponds, also under the bridges when it's not flooded and to the Santa Cruz then up to the Mercado. I also sometimes take the Julian Greenway out to near where the big Sprinter facility is. I believe when the Aviation link is completed the bikeway will go to the Mercado which will be a much shorter route than going up the Santa Cruz from the South.
When the weather improves maybe we can meet up on a ride or 2. I've lived here since 1969 so know the area fairly well.