Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2023, 08:57 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
My new bike is a Specialized Rockhopper 29 Expert. They are $350 off this month before the 2023 models arrive. When I get home next month I’ll convert it to an ebike. I got it at Oro Valley Bikes on Sunrise. I saw the Specialized Como line there but a bit too pricey for me and I have had great luck making a DIY ebike out of a good hard tail MTB.
That's where I got my Como. I thought it was too expensive but my wife insisted on buying it for my birthday! We did get a decent discount as it was a leftover model and the new ones were just arriving.
The Como was really my only choice as it is the only one that fits me.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:01 AM   #22
Site Team

Being near Kino Sports Park I can choose to go West up to Downtown or East around the retention pools and out Aviation Way. The path is much older and broken up out that way. Where I am is smooth as can be.

I’ve only ridden here with a powerful ebike, so it remains to be seen how I do without the motor. But I’ll sure give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BC851C2-8B05-46BA-A747-B0F314800CB8.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	512.0 KB
ID:	185008  
Old 01-17-2023, 09:20 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Being near Kino Sports Park I can choose to go West up to Downtown or East around the retention pools and out Aviation Way. The path is much older and broken up out that way. Where I am is smooth as can be.

I’ve only ridden here with a powerful ebike, so it remains to be seen how I do without the motor. But I’ll sure give it a try.
I rode regular bikes for a long time, a 3 speed and a 1 speed, the only difficult parts were coming up out of the washes and up over the Palo Verde overpass. With the ebike those are the only places I use the motor now, unless I'm riding into a strong head wind. I rode this Soul Stomper for a long time and was considering making it into an ebike before I got the Como. It looks small in the pic but actually is a huge frame, the pavers are 6". The Como is pictured below it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mad jimi.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	557.9 KB
ID:	185009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spec2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	185010  

Old 01-23-2023, 05:01 PM   #24
Site Team

Here’s the new bike out on the Tucson Loop bike path. Without the electric motor it’s not the fun leisurely ride as real work is required. Don’t get me wrong, I rode a standard bike for years up to 80 miles a week. But in my 70s my legs have declined in stamina.

When I get home I’ll add the electric motor to this one and start all over again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F3233203-8421-4DAC-BC26-D6659BB07696.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	699.6 KB
ID:	185048  
Old 02-04-2023, 05:09 PM   #25
Site Team

On our way home with the new bike. Of course, I’m hyper cautious about the new bike on the toad. I can check it in my side mirror looking at its shadow on the road. I never noticed that before.

I have double secured it and made sure it can’t fall out of the rack.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	744FDC0C-0C62-4F66-B978-75890C6C0B65.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	520.0 KB
ID:	185119  
Old 02-04-2023, 05:16 PM   #26
Site Team

This trip has been snake bit from the start. First the bike disappears, then it was the coldest, windiest Tucson we’ve seen out of 7-visits. Next, Texas has a winter storm that knocks out power at our house and downs dozens of massive branches all over our yard and driveway. And then my wife’s family has some health issues that require us to head home 9-days early.

Oh well, stuff happens and so far it’s nothing that can’t be fixed. Some days you eat bear, and some days the bear eats you.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:00 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Travel mercies for your trip home. Now to make the additional modifications to the bike and make it your own again. ������
fyreplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:19 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Oh well, stuff happens and so far it’s nothing that can’t be fixed. Some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you.
Pedal hard and don't let the bear catch you!
Eagle5
Old 02-07-2023, 11:35 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Hope you made it home safe and sound Paul. The weather has been crazy since we took off from Central PA 8 months ago - seems it is either 10- 15 degrees hotter (summer) or colder (winter) than the historical averages everywhere we've been.
I am thankful you were there at Lazy Days and was it nice to meet you. You were a life saver with that Viair piece that broke on my unit as we were getting ready to depart and I was stuck in the middle of my airing them up.
We had snow in Tombstone and experienced 14 degree temps that night! My heated hose did not freeze, but the little bit of metal exposed at the tap did and so did some pipes in the compartment where the water hose is attached. Remained below 30 at nights the four we spent there and four in Las Cruces. They anticipated even colder temps at our next stops in Carlsbad, Albuquerque, and Winslow so decided to leave that adventure for a later date and find warmer weather. Phyllis googled the warmest places in the US and came up with Miami, Key West, and Yuma. The first two were too far away!
She says this is why we have a home on wheels!
Ever been to Yuma? It is an absolute trip! But, it is warm...
For everyone's future plans - we did stop at the Sonoran Desert RV Park for an overnight in Gila Bend. Really nice place and a good option for those who like more remote locations. Nearly as warm as Yuma, too.
God bless you with safe traves, prosperity, and good health and maybe our paths will cross again some day...
Old 02-07-2023, 11:57 AM   #30
Site Team

This winter was the coldest and windiest by far in the 6 years we've been going to Tucson. It kind of limited our enjoyment there.

Not been to Yuma - but hear it is "different." Many like Lake Havasu as an alternative. We've not been west of Tucson/Phoenix.

Arrived home to $5000 worth of tree damage - 6 trees need removed and there are zillions of downed and broken branches still in the trees. Not at all a pleasant surprise.

Great meeting you and Phyllis, take care and safe travels.

PS Get that TPMS system!