Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Are all 7 pin tow connections the same

Hello board.

Tomorrow we take delivery of a 2022 Minnie Winnie 25B. We are downsizing from a 2016 Tiffin Allegro 36LA. I’m just going to move over our current BlueOx tow bar. Question is, will the 7-pin plug that currently plugs into my Tiffin also plug right into the new Minnie Winnie?

Thanks for any input. Attaching a picture.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D7F6F5D-6ECD-4F85-8EFC-A98B9EFB750F.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	179555  
Stevel720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes. All 7 pin connectors work the same way.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you David!
Old 06-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would have to disagree ---- to a certain extent as they are all the same if wired to the same specs!
But if you really want to avoid trouble it will be better to verify that what you have is to that spec. If you find one which has not been wired in the same way, you cna create a fair amount of extra work for yourself.

By the number of questions we have about DIY repair, it is kind of obvious that there are lots of things done to RV which are not spec! One example might be when a wire in the connector is damaged and somebody simply swaps the damaged one out for a good one.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

No- all 7-pin/blade connectors are not wired the same - there are different standards around. Just check with a test meter/light.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is a pic of how they should be wired. I will bet any TV that comes with the factory tow package is wired this way. Any after market installer that wires them differently should be shot.

About the only thing you need to worry about in an OEM installation is the trailer battery charging circuit, pin 4 in the TV. Sometimes the fuse that should provide power to that pin is left out, but sometimes that fuse is in the fuse box, just not plugged in. Plug it in or get a 30A fuse and plug it in for that circuit.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way Trailer Plug Wiring.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	179575  
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I doubt you'll have a problem if your Tiffin is wired as it came from the factory. Plug it in and see what happens, it's not going to damage anything. The worst that can happen is that your toad's lights won't work properly. If it works, great, if not, I think you'll find what you need here in terms of wiring diagrams:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Fortunately the above website shows the parts from both the front and back. With only one view it's easy to get confused. I wouldn't depend on the color codes matching so use a multimeter if you need to re-wire anything.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your replies. What I was hoping to do is not take our Jeep with us to swap rv’s. And in theory if Tiffin wired to the standard at the factory and Winnebago also followed standards, we would be good to go. Obviously the best thing to do IS take the Jeep to the dealer, that way when we plug it in to the Winnebago if there is an issue it can then be addressed. Do I feel lucky? No! Lol

Thanks again for everyone’s input.
Steve
Old 06-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

On new RV, you ARE most likely okay, so the question may then become what changes, if any, have been made to the cables and plugs on your current RV?

Like you mention, it does sometimes get down to how lucky we feel as well as who wired your tow car. Lots of folks who wire tow cars are not real RV people and sometimes go with the way their daddy showed them! Which may not be like anything anybody else has ever seen!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #10

I would buy a Voltage Test probe for $4 at Harbor Freight or $9 at Walmart ant test your leads.

A voltage test probe will light-up when voltage is present on the sharp pointy end... and you have the test probe ground wire connected to ground.

Then switch your lights on and see which 7-pin wire lights up the test probe.

* Select L or R turn signals

* Step on the brake

* Turn on your running lights

* Turn on your head lights

Then you can build your own wire table, but it should reflect the diagram above if it came from the factory. (It should, doesn't mean it will.)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Update. We got lucky! Lol. The Winnebago and Tiffin factories must have had the same person wiring in the 7 pin connector. Yippee. Oh, the ride of the 26 foot Winnie on the E450 chassis is much more enjoyable (and quiet) experience than the 37 foot class A gaser.

Thanks everyone for your input. Safe travels!
Steve

Tags
tow