Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up Anybody towing with a Gladiator

Looking for some real world advice on what is realistic to tow with a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. Any information would be greatly appreciated .
Sorry for the sideways picture, not sure why it did that? Or how to fix it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F60E311-65DA-46E0-81C5-89D264054B8F.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	637.0 KB
ID:	184205  
Sand Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Surfer View Post
Looking for some real world advice on what is realistic to tow with a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. Any information would be greatly appreciated .
Sorry for the sideways picture, not sure why it did that? Or how to fix it!!!
This website will automatically adjust photos orientation to fit its allowable “box” and aspect ratio. To correct, edit your photo by using the frame adjustment tool to reduce the frame size. Also, when you post from a photo library, it helps to reduce the upload size (bytes) by selecting the photo in the from app upload tool, then click on the bottom of the photo and select “medium”. This will reduce the byte size of the photo from several megabytes to about 250kbytes, but the photo will still look good after uploading.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up

Thank you for the information! It looks like, from your profile, you have a Minnie 2108DS? We are in the process of purchasing a used one right now!! How do you like it? It will just be myself and my wife utilizing it on short, 3 - 5 day excursions and it seems like a really good fit, time will tell…...
Sand Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi @Surfer,
My Opinion on towing with Gladiator:
Unless you have the high payload Gladiator (1,700#), you’ll likely not be able to tow a Micro Minnie 2108. The 2108 DS/FBS/TB will have a wet hitch weight of about 600# with 1/2 tank of fresh water. Add another 100# for the weight of the WDH, and you’ve got 700# on the hitch. it should become clear that the lower payload (1,100#) Gladiator with just two occupants, although it may have sufficient tow capacity, cannot handle the hitch weight of the 2108 without exceeding the Gladiator’s rear GAWR and GVWR. With the standard Gladiator your choice of Micro Minnie will be limited to Model 1700BH.

I think you’ll find that most Micro Minnie Owners feel their campers are a good value suitable for a couple that is very easy to tow with the appropriate tow vehicle. The 7ft width and tandem axles kinda put it in a class by itself; lightweight, but a safe sturdy build.

We chose the 2108 over all other manufacturers makes and models because we have a steep winding one-lane road to our mountain home with extremely limited manuever space. It’s a tight fit to get it up to our home. Any trailer longer or wider than the 2108 could not fit. This, and additionally, the 2108 checked all the boxes for quality, Insulation, Azdel, axles, and build quality that we felt strongly about for our intended use. The Micro Minnie’s are by no means a “4 seasons” trailer. But a true 4 seasons trailer would be too big and heavy for us. Our 2108 has performed well climate-wise, keeping us warm in sub freezing temperatures and cool in hot deserts. It has a huge 12v compressor fridge, which we really didn’t want, but have come to love. To effectively boondock with this fridge you have to spend some extra bucks to upgrade your battery bank, and add some solar. The FLX version of the Micro Minnie has all that extra stuff already built-in, albeit for a much higher price. Price wise, the Micro Minnie is not the cheapest in its class, but IMO, it’s value is much greater than all but the high priced brands.

Our 2108 is nearing 2 years old, and has been towed for about 12,000 miles. There have been a few build quality issues, but nothing so serious that I couldn’t fix it myself. I hate taking an rv in for service unless it’s something so serious that I don’t have the skills, tools, or facilities to fix it. Our longest trip was 2 months, coast to coast and back. With just the DW and me and our cat, we never felt cramped. In short, it’s been nearly perfect for our needs. It small inside, so it does heat up fast if you use the inside range. So, we rarely cook inside. Really only use the range to make morning coffee. Otherwise, almost all meals prepared outside. We can boondock for up to 10 days, limited by the size of our black tank. The gray tank fills up faster, but we empty it with a caddy, or on the ground where that’s allowed. We have upgraded this camper extensively to fit our camping style, and for comfort.

Good luck, and safe travels with whatever rv you decide upon.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Actually, the sideways photo is a function of how the photo was taken. If you hold you phone vertically the photo will appear sideways. If you hold the phone horizontally with the “shutter” button on the right hand side the photo will appear correctly.

Your phone has a gyro in it and knows which way is up. The forum doesn’t. The phone sees the photo sideways but the gyro ignores the orientation info on the photo’s EXIF file and displays the sideways photo right side up.

One way to fix a photo already taken vertically is to view the photo on your phone and take a screenshot with the phone and then use that photo to upload to the forum.

Obviously the best way is to hold the phone horizontally, shuuter on the right, when you take the photo.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Actually, the sideways photo is a function of how the photo was taken. If you hold you phone vertically the photo will appear sideways. If you hold the phone horizontally with the “shutter” button on the right hand side the photo will appear correctly.

Your phone has a gyro in it and knows which way is up. The forum doesn’t. The phone sees the photo sideways but the gyro ignores the orientation info on the photo’s EXIF file and displays the sideways photo right side up.

One way to fix a photo already taken vertically is to view the photo on your phone and take a screenshot with the phone and then use that photo to upload to the forum.

Obviously the best way is to hold the phone horizontally, shuuter on the right, when you take the photo.
How do explain that you can upload two photos taken the same way, and one will be sideways after uploading, the other upright? If I crop the one that’s sideways, it will then upload upright.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
Site Team

If you edit a photo taken vertically and save it in your phone or on a computer then it changes the orientation settings in the photo’s EXIF info.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

FWIW ;

Our2019 2108FBS is 485lbs on the nose with full propane and 1/3 in the black tank.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
FWIW ;

Our2019 2108FBS is 485lbs on the nose with full propane and 1/3 in the black tank.
That’s close to mine, but only when the fresh tank is not full, and when there’s very little weight in the pass-thru. With full fresh, empty gray and black, and loaded pass-thru, my tongue CATs at close to 600#.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:15 PM   #10
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37

Towing Gladiator

We have a 2022 Gladiator with a lift and 35in tires. We made sure to verify our front end alignment, but have towed about 1000 miles so far. I can't tell the difference from the Gladiator and our old 4 door Wrangler. We do have the RVI braking system. That helps.
Armydave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow