Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2108DS Hitch

Hello all,

We pulled the trigger on the 2108DS yesterday. Yay!

My neighbor has a load balancing hitch rated for 550lbs that he said he'd give to me. Do you think this will be servicable for a 2018DS?

If anyone has a 2018DS, please tell me what you chose for your rig. If the 550lb hitch my neighbor has won't cut it, I'd like to get the right one ordered as soon as possible.

Thank you for the help guys.
Rumpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations on your new 2108DS!

We just finished our second season with our 2108DS and it has been a great camper and we have had a lot of fun with it.

After a lot of research, I purchased the Blue Ox Sway Pro with the bars for up to 750 lb tongue weight and it has worked perfectly, no hint of sway with wind or large trucks passing and the front end of the truck does not feel light. With the Sway Pro there is no issue with backing up with the bars connected, it does not make any noises and the camper and truck ride very well. Using the tongue jack, connecting the bars is not difficult. I believe the Sway Pro is well worth its additional cost.

Brian
Old 10-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations!

I have a 2106DS and use the Blue Ox Swaypro with 750 bars. Dealer gave me 550 bars to start with but I found them to be too light. My tongue weight is around 600# when we're loaded and ready to go. As already stated, no sway what so ever and I'm able to transfer enough weight back to the front end of my truck to get it back to its no load height.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2019 2108DS and the dealer installed a hitch as part of the deal. It's rated at 1,200 lbs and works perfectly and if installed properly, is very easy to engage and release the solid steel sway bars. I would never go with chains. Backing up is no problem with these sway bars. Here is a link to the same hitch on Amazon. Best of luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Chem-48...%2C204&sr=8-10
mikecaretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=mikecaretto;3849435]I have a 2019 2108DS and the dealer installed a hitch as part of the deal. It's rated at 1,200 lbs and works perfectly and if installed properly, is very easy to engage and release the solid steel sway bars. I would never go with chains. Backing up is no problem with these sway bars. Here is a link to the same hitch on Amazon. Best of luck.

I’m sure you meant you would never go with chains ONLY. Chains are required here in California and they are likely required in most if not all states with or without a weight distribution setup. We have the 2106DS with ReCurve 3
system rated at 1,000 lbs, which has proven more than adequate for us. There is a ReCurve 6 model with even more weight capacity. Available on Amazon.
caladvoc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I certainly didn't mean going without safety chains, I meant I prefer a solid steel sway bar to those hitches that employ chains as part of the anti-sway system
mikecaretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes, the Blue Ox SwayPro does use chains to tension the spring bars, which unlike a friction sway control device proactively maintains the trailer in line with the tow vehicle utilizing the camber design and spring forces. The friction sway control appears to just dampen trailer movement.

When I visited the ReCurve R3 site, I was surprised that the company was claiming as a benefit that “The sway control can easily be turned completely off in dangerous or icy road conditions.” It suggests to me that the friction sway control that just dampens movement may be an issue in varying conditions. Why would you not want to have sway control during all conditions? I don’t know about you, but if it is starting to get slick the last thing I would want to do is to disable the sway control ability of my hitch and have the possibility of the trailer wandering behind the truck when it is slippery.

The SwayPro is recommended for use in any weather and road conditions. Traveling primarily in northern Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine with some steep winding roads that are not always in the best condition, I have had a bit of extra confidence using the SwayPro.

Speaking of extra confidence, Blue Ox offers a lifetime warranty on the SwayPro and after I had installed the hitch, I appreciated receiving a call from Blue Ox to follow up with my purchase and make sure I didn’t have any issues.

I believe that the ReCurve R3 controls sway and is a good value, but I think I will stick with my SwayPro with the “chains”.

Brian