Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
2106 DS Micro Minnie

2106DS and Curt Echo Wireless Brake Controller

Hi Folks,
I recently bought a 2018 Minnie 2106DS, a 2016 GMC Canyon and a new Curt Echo Wireless Brake Controller. I am having great difficulties with braking. No matter how I set the controller the camper reacts badly. It sometimes jerks when applying or releasing the brakes and sometimes the brakes lock up at lower speeds. No smooth stops what so ever.
Full disclosure; I have no previous experience with campers or brake controllers.
Questions:
Any one else have this problem?
Are the trailer brakes self adjusting?
What do you think the reason for the problem may be?
Your thoughts or experiences with any of the above.
stoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I also have a CURT Echo...there is a attachment 'protocol' that you must follow, or your CURT Echo will not properly interrogate the trailer attached to it...

1. Turn on your engine. This MUST be running before you attach anything.
2. Firmly seat the CURT Echo blue-toothed enabled brake control module into your 7 pin female tow vehicle plug in.
3. After the blue flashing light goes green, put the trailer cord into the back end of the CURT Echo module. Then, (with your cell phone set as Blue Tooth (on), fire up the Curt Echo app. The app will sense your Curt Echo as (you have already created the link) and will ask you each time for the numerical set of numbers that came with your unit. As soon as you enter them correctly, and press 'OK'...the app will connect with the controller, and you will see a profile that you set up..or one that comes with it, like Profile 1. Press that, and you will then see the Application Screen, with a round icon. Press and hold that icon, and you will see (if the app is correctly communicating with the module) a blue circle. That is your manual control of your trailer brakes. That also is a good test that the cell phone app HAS communicated with the module, and is now allowing you to control your brakes. The Curt Echo unit has a velocity sensor, that adjusts the force as need's be, to engage your electric trailer brakes. You can by means of the app, control just HOW much engagement of the trailer brakes commences, and at what rate of application from mild, barely on, to full on. Please read your owner's manual to make sure you do indeed have a fully working Curt Echo. Also, make SURE, that both the Echo Module, has the hold down tab engaged, on the lid of the tow vehicle's 7 pin cover...AND..as well, your trailer cord...is fully engaged into the back end of the Curt Echo..and that ***ITS COVER LOCK*** is securing your trailer light plug..or you might find that it will fall out of the back end of the module...and drag upon the ground.

A tip...if ever you apply the brakes...and you DO NOT SEE any part of the round circle turn blue to indicate the force and application of your trailer brakes STOP, STOP, STOP ASAP...and most likely, your trailer cord has fallen out of the back end of the Curt Echo module...and is now grinding down to death on the highway, or road way..as well as you have no trailer lights, or turn signals working...STOP IMMEDIATELY and walk back to take a look at the connection! I had this happen twice to me, until I really, really made sure that the back of the Curt Echo's cap had fully engaged the lock in flat tab of my trailer's light and brake cord.

Cheers,
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #3
2106 DS Micro Minnie

Thanks SunSeeker, lots of good info in your reply. I did in fact find that I had a bad unit and returned it. I think the concept is great however I did end up getting a traditional dash mounted unit and it is working fine.
Till next time...
Old 11-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi, I am hopping that your tow vehicle is the diesel version of the Canyon/Colorado and not the V6. I had a Colorado with the V6 and the factory trailer package and it did not like hills to say the least. The first year I thought I could just take my time and live with it. However, year two and traveling through the Rockies I found that the Colorado would barely make it up the longer steeper hills, and almost impossible to keep up to the posted speed limits. For safety's sake I upgraded to a 5.3 Chev. V8 and can now honestly say am having no problems keeping up to the speed limits, even on the steeper inclines and elevations. In fact am getting better gas milage with the larger truck by far than I obtained with the Colorado.
I
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
2106 DS Micro Minnie

Well, I do in fact have the 3.6 liter V6....I'll just have to see how it goes. One can always go around the mountain instead of over. Haha
Old 11-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney1 View Post
Well, I do in fact have the 3.6 liter V6....I'll just have to see how it goes. One can always go around the mountain instead of over. Haha

When the check engine light came on this year I was near a GM dealer and they did a diagnostic and my problem was with the fuel injectors, the GM dealer was able to reset the injectors and I was on my way, however a couple of hours later, more or less same problem, once again I was near a GM dealer, this time the diagnosis was that the card controlling the fuel injector system needed to be replaced. I was told I was pushing the motor too hard and that this would continue to be a problem if I intended to keep to the speed limits. Hence, decided to go to the larger Chev V8 5.3 in the full size pickup. I miss the Colorado, I was told had I opted for the diesel version that the extra torque was there. So, as long as you do not push your Colorado you should be okay,
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake