Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry 2020 GMC Sierra won't run LEDs

Bought a new 2020 GMC Sierra last October. Did not hook up my 2020 Winn. Micro Minnie 2108DS until a month ago when I was preparing trip south. Truck would not light up trailer lights or brake controller. Two trips to GMC dealer followed. First time, dealer said problem must be in my trailer (I had already towed it 3,000 miles with my 2014 GMC with no issues). Took trailer to RV repair. Lighted up fine, but not when connected to my new truck. Second trip to GMC dealer. Could not fix. Told me LEDs in trailer did not pull enough current to make truck recognize it was there. New computer controlled electrical system in this truck. Told me they could not fix truck but I could buy an aftermarket device that would make it work, at my cost. Otherwise, call GMC customer service. Warning. Do not buy a 2020 or 2021 GMC as they are controlled by a computer system. Even though my truck equipped with tow package, I can't tow my trailer anywhere without lights and brakes. Terrible service GMC and poor engineering.
woodsyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just run a new set of wires and lights to the back use the regular bulbs in the housings drill hole in housing insert bulbs add plug to front good to go.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I think this is an example of the device your shop was talking about, I noticed the same problem on my 2014 MB Sprinter https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...rt/C57003.html

says Plugs into an existing 7-way socket to provide a new 7-way socket that is able to recognize LED trailer lights
Built-in resistors enable LED signals from your trailer to be read by your vehicle's computer
Old 02-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Some study of the size will be needed but you need to add resisters to bump the current flow up. Common issue for some cars when switching to LED lighting inside.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 runs my lights on my 2021 Micro Mini just fine.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My 2014 ram doesn't play well LED headlights, taillights, etc, but has no problem with my LED trailer lights. The part RVWD linked might be the easy fix.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
I think this is an example of the device your shop was talking about, I noticed the same problem on my 2014 MB Sprinter https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...rt/C57003.html

says Plugs into an existing 7-way socket to provide a new 7-way socket that is able to recognize LED trailer lights
Built-in resistors enable LED signals from your trailer to be read by your vehicle's computer
Thanks, I have been looking for this device. GM dealer, of course, could not supply me with info on where to find this piece of equipment to get my lights working. They could care less. Question about this pigtail: Since I have got my trailer lights working on a partial basis, will adding this make it stop working altogether again? Does it work for electric brakes too. Thanks again for the link.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

well I would think it should but I cant answer that for sure. You might contact Etrailer, they have great support.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

So I found at purchased the device designed to fix the GM problem of not being able to light up LED systems in camping trailers. It worked, but did not connect my electric trailer brakes. So, system still not operating correctly. Oh, backup lights did not work with the new part either. I go to sleep cursing General Motors and kicking myself for buying a truck that won't light my trailer lights.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsyowl View Post
So I found at purchased the device designed to fix the GM problem of not being able to light up LED systems in camping trailers. It worked, but did not connect my electric trailer brakes. So, system still not operating correctly. Oh, backup lights did not work with the new part either. I go to sleep cursing General Motors and kicking myself for buying a truck that won't light my trailer lights.
There is not a generic GMC truck problem that I’m aware of. My 2021 GMC does led lights just fine. This issue sounds unique to your truck. Your Sierra still under warranty. Your dealer service tech sucks. If it were me I would demand the service dept contact GM regional warranty rep. I would also take my trailer to the GMC dealership and prove to them your trailer is fine by hooking it up to any other new truck on the lot. Then, I would call the regional GMC rep myself and tell him that your dealer will not service your warranty. Dealers get graded on this. Demand that the dealer replace the pc board that controls the power to you 7 pin. I dunno, after paying the kind of bucks you paid for your truck, I would lay siege to the dealer. ��

Tags
led