Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2022, 08:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

2020-2022 Lincoln Nautilus 2.7L

Is anyone towing a 2020-2022 Lincoln Nautilus?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Just a related comment in case you’re not aware, but the Nautilus is the new name for the old MKX and lots of us flat tow the MKX.

Now back to your specific question about the 2020-2022 Nautilus….
Old 10-30-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes, and I have had good luck with the 2013 MKX, it's just time to change out.
There are two varieties of Nautilus. 2.0L and 2.7L Only the 2.7L is towable 4 down.

Test drove a 2020 yesterday - nice.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Team

The Corsair (MKC) is flat towable in some models, too. All are based on Ford models… the Edge and Escape.

You probably know all of that.

What does the Nautilus owners manual say about recreational towing? Is it the same procedure as the MKX?
Old 10-30-2022, 09:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I do know all that. Need an SUV. Others are out of the question.

I'd look at the MKC for a little bit, but it is not towable. They don't make those anymore either. 2019 was the last year I think.

The Nautilus and Edge will be done after 2023 models. Canadian plant is gearing up for all electric and unless the Nautilus and Edge make it to the all electric showroom floor - no more of them.

My MKX has been good. A few problems here and there but it is getting worn out. About 170,000 miles including towing.

Had a hard time finding some door and door panels when a fool backed into me.

Not as hard finding that as it was for my wife's 2004 Town Car - still looking like a showroom car.

Let's stick to the Nautilus please. 2020-2022 would be good.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Towed it about 230 miles. Had some problems with the lights. Seems that if the power to the car is on (no battery disconnect) the lights worked fine. Next time I tried it with battery disconnected the lights did not work

Back to the installer. Took them some time but they had to add a couple more diodes to pull power for the lights, with the disconnect turned off (no juice)

So, now I have another question.
Making a Summer trip 1200 miles one way. (Getting out of the heat) We are going to make a couple 1 night stops.

Question: When I stop and run the car for 5 minutes by connecting the battery, is it necessary to go through the entire process of interior set up or can I just hit the disconnect switch and be on our way in the morning?
Old 06-17-2023, 10:28 PM   #7
Site Team

There are a few variables for your setup that aren’t detailed. So, I can’t answer directly. But if it’s any help, this is what I do.

I use a Brake Buddy Auxiliary braking system if I leave it plugged in it sometimes drains the toad’s battery. So, when I park for the night and stay hooked up, I start the toad and put it in park (push button start and gear select) and unplug the Brake Buddy.

The next morning I start and run the toad for 5-mins, plug the Brake Buddy back in and then I must go through both the setup for the toad’s transmission - because it was in park not neutral tow, and the Brake Buddy’s setup - which bleeds the vacuum from the power brake booster.

Not knowing what brake setup you have I don’t know if you need to do any of that or not. I believe if you park in neutral tow all night and not shift out of it that it will be in neutral tow in the morning. However, I don’t know how much effect reconnecting the battery and starting the car has on it remaining fully engaged in neutral tow.

But my 2016 doesn’t require disconnecting the battery at all, so yours could be entirely different.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks Paul. I had a 2013 Lincoln MKX and it did not have a tow mode. Hook up the car, Turn off everything in the car and just put it in accessory mode and off we went. (after checking the lights. It was simple.

We also had the problem of the battery being discharged enough to not be able to start the car. It all depended on activation of the exhaust brake, especially in hilly country, as the tail lights come on every time the exhaust brake comes on and draws from the car's battery. On flat open roads like I-10 from Hou to SA no problem but once in the hills and having to use the EB..drained.

I have the Invisibrake now (MKX was AF1). It is a permanent install and only works when the umbilical cord is hooked to the vehicle. I use the RoadMaster battery disconnect. Once the car is put into tow mode (Cable under dash) a button is pushed and the battery is disconnected. Locks or any other electrical device will not work until the battery is connected again. Power to the Invisibrake and lights come from the MH.

With no power from the battery there is no drain, not even parasitic. When the battery is connected back a 1 minute wait or longer is necessary to let the computer reboot. Then all the settings have to be reprogrammed. Reprogramming is not hard, just some gauge displays and radio presets but with Sirius voice commands get you to the station you want to hear.

They did not make this one simple, for sure.

Edit: Bought one of the Lithium Jump Starts at wall mart for $79 or so and it works wonderfully for drained batteries. I have also payed it forward several times in helping others in parking lots with drained batteries. they can't believe this little box about 3-1/2" wide by 3/4" thick and 6 oir 7 inches long is gong to help them start there car. Seeing is believing.