Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #1
sjn
Winnebago Camper

2005 winnebago journey 39k tow vehicle ideas

Hi everyone!
We have purchased our journey a few years ago and are wanting to do quite a bit more traveling but we have no idea where to start in finding a suitable vehicle to tow? Are there any websites that can tell us what vehicles would be a good match?

Thanks from the newbies!
Scott & Sandy
sjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are sites which give a list of vehicles which are more prone to work as towed, but it is also something to check from a few more angles like what you want to drive, what size you feel is the right weight and then also to be sure that the info is correct as different small options on cars can change the answer and some of the sites are not kept current.

One big one is the newer models are more prone to having a transmissioncalled CVT which is not easy to dealwith towing. The old standard trans is getting scare to find!

A search on the question is likely to turn up several sites with the basic idea of a list but much will depend on you and details of what you like and how you see using it.

Some will not be caught driving a small car while others shudder at hauling a Ford 150!
Finding where I fall in that range keeps changing!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:40 AM   #3
sjn
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much! Always appreciated!!!!
Old 02-10-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

A quick search didn't giveme the infoin a list as I was thinking but this is one site that has some good info to read over as it does mention "winnow down" the list!

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...ind-an-rv.html

A couple big points are that you likely have a nice big Rv that makes the field of what totow notso critical for choosing size as if you had a smaller unit like a new small class "b" where power might be less. Is having a wider range to boggle the mind good?

But a place to start might be in choosing HOW to tow as flat towing with all wheels down makes choosing the right transmission really BIG.
But if you feel right with a tow dolly so that the drive wheels are on the dolley, the transmission question is not so big.
Moving to a full blown trailer where all wheels are off the groudn, the big question can then become the weightof trailer plus vehical.

So you get into lots of questions and many of them depend on your personal priorities.
Kind of like buying a new recliner? A big fluffy has a nice ride but not good if you want to move it around to another room!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:12 AM   #5
sjn
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Richard,
I truly appreciate your input and thoughts on this!
Old 02-12-2022, 10:08 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Another plus of going with a dolly is that there is NO set-up cost for the towed vehicle. You can tow any front wheel drive vehicle or manual transmission rear wheel drive. I tow a Hyndai Tucson, with a dolly and added a hitch to it, so that I can move the dolly around, once disconnected from the RV.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Jeep is really easy to tow, and goes anywhere when you get there :)

We tow a 2019 Jeep wrangler Unlimited 4 door behind the MH. Hardly know its there. There are several things you have to buy, install to be able to do that, I am fortunate that I have the requisite knowledge of the installation process, as we have had jeeps before, 2 door version, have towed a dodge ram 1500, other jeeps 2002 through 2012.

Most vehicles you will need a base plate assembly, a tow bar with accessories, a braking system for the towed vehicle, and a wiring harness to activate the turn signals, brake lights via the Motorhome. These can be expensive to purchase and the installation labor can be quite high.

If you are handy and can do the installation yourself you can save a ton of money. Having had a bunch of RV's through the years, I had a lot of what I needed for pulling our current Jeep. Did have to buy the base plates from etrailer.com and they were 450.00 and I installed them myself.

A good Dolly will run you around 1500 to 2500 bucks so you can take your pick the way you want to go. I like the jeep from the standpoint that when we get somewhere it is a simple task to unhook it and then we can go off and enjoy the area and not worry where to stow a trailer or a dolly, some places won't let you stay hooked up, some will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	927.5 KB
ID:	181990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424 (2).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	181991  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	499.8 KB
ID:	181992  
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Do a Google search for: dinghy tow guides

You’ll find many such guides available.

Keep in mind that model year changes matter. A car that is flat-towable in 2016 may not be towable the next model year. Pay attention to specific engine/transmission combinations, too. It’s not unusual for a car to have different options and engines that are or are not flat-towable.

The most popular flat tow vehicles are the Honda CRV but only up to 2014. And many 4x4 Jeep’s (but not all).

Don’t take any car dealer’s word on what’s towable and what’s not. Do the research. And generally the cars owners manual is the final word on the subject. Look under “towing” in the index and then look for “recreational towing,” four-down towing or dinghy towing.

Many newer Ford and GM small SUVs are four-down towable.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
Another plus of going with a dolly is that there is NO set-up cost for the towed vehicle. You can tow any front wheel drive vehicle or manual transmission rear wheel drive. I tow a Hyndai Tucson, with a dolly and added a hitch to it, so that I can move the dolly around, once disconnected from the RV.
I'm not in agreement with you. Had a tow dolly for 10 years. When I got the 2014 Honda CR-V my RV travels became much easier.
Tow dollies take up real estate for one thing. You need to horse them around to park and hitch. Putting on the safety straps is always a challenge and in the rain or mud is even more disturbing to having a good day of travel or camp setup. Your choice. My 2 cents.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up Agree with Jerichorick

Vicki and I have towed around the US for 14 years. Started with a Volvo S60 on a dolly and switched soon to a Subaru Outback flat towed ( standard trans). Then a Crosstrek standard trans and now a Jeep Gladiator standard but automatic is as easy with the Jeeps.
The convenience of flat tow for me is I can unhook from the road master tow bar in less than a minute and drive both motor home and Jeep away.
Still a matter of your own preference.
Keeping in mind a dolly is nearly impossible to back up and a flat towed vehicle is also nearly impossible to back up because of stresses imposed on the mechanisms. A trailer is able to be backed up but is still a little difficult but doesn’t cause stress on the towing hardware.
Terry
toyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:05 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyflyr View Post
Vicki and I have towed around the US for 14 years. Started with a Volvo S60 on a dolly and switched soon to a Subaru Outback flat towed ( standard trans). Then a Crosstrek standard trans and now a Jeep Gladiator standard but automatic is as easy with the Jeeps.
The convenience of flat tow for me is I can unhook from the road master tow bar in less than a minute and drive both motor home and Jeep away.
Still a matter of your own preference.
Keeping in mind a dolly is nearly impossible to back up and a flat towed vehicle is also nearly impossible to back up because of stresses imposed on the mechanisms. A trailer is able to be backed up but is still a little difficult but doesn’t cause stress on the towing hardware.
Terry
It should be noted that a full trailer plus toad usually puts the weight over the 5,000 lb limit of most factory installed RV hitches.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:28 PM   #12
Wheelcrazy

I’ve been rving for 22 years and have traveled with the rv only, then tried a small motor cycle on a rear hitch carrier, then a motorcycle trike in a enclosed trailer, then a Hyundai on a tow dolly, currently flat tow a Jeep 4 down.
My favorite is the Jeep flat tow, second choice is the enclosed trailer with the trike. I hated the tow dolly it was a real hassle to hitch up and load and unload, I used it one season and got rid of it.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:33 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynadave View Post
I’ve been rving for 22 years and have traveled with the rv only, then tried a small motor cycle on a rear hitch carrier, then a motorcycle trike in a enclosed trailer, then a Hyundai on a tow dolly, currently flat tow a Jeep 4 down.
My favorite is the Jeep flat tow, second choice is the enclosed trailer with the trike. I hated the tow dolly it was a real hassle to hitch up and load and unload, I used it one season and got rid of it.
I am currently at the Hyundai on tow dolly stage and at 78 years old have no problem connecting or disconnecting in about 5 minutes. Put a hitch on the Hyundai to move the empty dolly where ever I want to put it.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:36 PM   #14
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Towing

Flat or all 4 wheels down is much easier than with a dolly. Check with vehicle manufacturer to see if the vehicle you are interested is flat towable and with automatic or standard trans. With the Journey you do not have to stay with a small compact car you can go with a large suv as long as it’s towable. Follow the manufactures guidelines for towing
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:48 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Jeep and Honda are very popular. They both seem to depend on the transmission. Current Jeeps and Honda 2014 and earlier I believe. I have a 07 Honda CRV EXL-Navi I use as a second vehicle in storage in N Idaho that is setup with Blue Ox baseplate,ect and US Gear brake system that I may sell but I'm in Arizona and no hurry to get to Idaho.

I would look in the manual that came in the towd vehicle for towing procedure. I like 4 down towing. Also a vehicle with a clutch is more likely towable such as Subaru which is not towable with an automatic. If you are a member of FMCA, they have a listing of towables.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Hi all,
I have been flat towing a 2015 Jeep Wrangler automatic for years. Self-installed the base plate kit on the front of the Jeep in a couple of hours, kit cost about $450.
You need a braking system for the toad, it is required in most states.

I got lucky and found a second hand Roadmaster 9400 braking kit with Tow bars for $800, new is more like $2000. Had it professionally installed and wired for the Jeep and certified for $200.
Takes 5 minutes to put in or take out the brake actuator.
And NO, you cannot back up a flat towed vehicle more than a couple feet, I tried.

I have used a tow dolly for a front wheel drive car, I found it a royal pain when raining, muddy or cold...

Good luck!!!
Mikeknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Motorhome magazine publishes a yearly guide.

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Old 02-16-2022, 08:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Tow dollies and trailers will need a place to store them when you park. Some places you can have them at your site and some you can't due to space and campground rules.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:17 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Smile Winnebago Class C Cambria

O.K. Everybody go ahead and laugh, we've heard it all before:

For several years we flat towed a 2013 SMART car successfully behind our Cambria. Worked so well, we usually left the rear view camera "ON" just to confirm the little car stayed with us. Could not feel it at all. Rock solid. And simple! Has a nice procedure prior to towing that disconnects the odometer. As others have mentioned, ALWAYS choose a gas station that will allow you to pull through without backing.

Indeed, it is small, weighs about 1800 pounds soaking wet. But it was more than adequate for the two of us. Did not bother with a towed vehicle brake system, again, due to the light weight. Cost one (1) MPG to tow. Even better, we could usually get about 40 MPG driving the SMART.

Obviously larger families need more space, but for two (2) travelers that is a hard example to beat for simplicity and cost.

However, not all SMART vehicles are towable.
chuck
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:26 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Higgs, I don't hear any one laughing! Bottom line, whatever works for you. I like the idea of a lighter weight TOAD. No braking system means less stuff to break.
202235f is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, tow, winnebago