Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2022, 08:11 AM   #21
WinnyJourney04

Dolly vs 4 down towing

I’ve had both Dolly and 4 down on my 2004 Journey 34’. My first tow car was a Ford Fusion and it was not capable of 4-down so I bought Demco SS Kar Kaddy with hydraulic disc brakes. I believe it’s the best available. I liked it but doing the doing chains and tow lights became tiresome and often we would forgo a quick car trip on an overnight just so I wouldn’t have to hook it all back up the next morning.

This season I sold the dolly and the Ford and purchased a 2013 Honda CRV and a Roadmaster tow bar. You can 4-down tow 2014 or earlier CRV’s but not newer years as they went to a CVT transmission. It’s all wheel drive and decent ground clearance. These cars are bulletproof. I have had Jeep Cherokees and Chrysler cars over the years. I liked the 4 wheel drive but they cost me a fortune in repairs.

I didn’t think twice about my purchase of a used CRV with 150K miles. If you change the fluids they’re good for 300K.
ashaffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

If you tow a Jeep and are concerned that the cigarette lighter socket doesn't stay hot, I found a neat kit that installs in less than 5 minutes and makes the socket always on. Its from Cooltechllc.com and the part number is JL18CT12VP and sells for only 24.95.

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jee...rport-kit.html

It installs under the hood in the fuse box behind the battery so no disassembly of the interior is required.
My 2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited turns the socket off when the vehicle is not running/off. I use a patriot braking system that plugs into that socket so I needed the kit.
Hope this helps
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, tow, winnebago