Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2000 Itasca Horizon Brake Controller & Trailer Plug Wiring?

New member and brand new owner of a 2000 Itasca horizon – 36LD with a C7 Cat. My question is are these rigs pre wired for a brake controller and trailer plugs? Plan on pulling a tandem 16" car hauler with brakes. TIA
jimmykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

According to the sales brochure for your model, trailer wiring including socket was a standard feature. Not sure if that includes the brake controller wiring or not, but I suspect it's there. Was on my 04 Vectra, which is the sister ship to your Horizon. You will probably have to do some digging around the driver dash area to see if it's there. Winnebago owner support could probably tell you for sure.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:18 PM   #3

I can provide you with these pictures, but I have no idea about hooking up a brake controller. However, with a test probe and volt meter you can probably figure it out.

You also need to find your tow light fuse box. My 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD has this box located in the last compartment on the driver's side, next to my side radiator and Allison Transmission Brain Box.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-wire Connector Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	178313   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150820_170438.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	178314  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150820_170206.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	178315   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-wire Tow Car Light Wire Diagram 4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	178316  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:03 AM   #4
Just Trying to Help

jimmykins-

First off, welcome to Winnieowners!

Second, you should add a signature to your user profile. It usually includes the year, make and model of your coach, but can include other information. A signature is appended to each post. To create/edit a signature, click on the "User CP" link in the orange bar at the top, then click on "Edit Signature."

Re: Trailer hitch connector wiring:

Winnebago Manuals and Diagrams, then
Wiring Diagrams, then
2000 Wiring Diagrams, then
2000 Horizon P36LD Wiring Diagram Book, then
Auto Lamps Wiring Diagram

See Sheet 3, Zone G-6 for Itasca trailer hitch connector wiring.

"Secret decoder ring" for circuit IDs is the "Wiring Identification Guide," link here.

According the these documents, as it came from Winnebago the coach did not have a trailer electric brake wire at the coach hitch connector:

Code:
TP / 14 WHT     917R AUTOMOTIVE LAMPS(TURN, MARKER,ETC)            GROUND
TR / 14 YEL     VEHICLE BACK UP CIRCUIT FEED                       BACK UP LAMPS
MM / 14 YEL     CHASSIS CLEARANCE LAMP CRT #1  (BRN TYPICAL)       CLEARANCE/MARKER LAMPS
X /  14 YEL     CHASSIS BRAKE LAMP CIRCUIT                         CENTER MOUNT BRAKE LAMP
SC / 14 YEL     VEHICLE RIGHT REAR TURN SIGNAL/BRAKE LAMP CIRCUIT  RIGHT REAR TURN SIGNAL/ BRAKE LAMPS
SD / 14 YEL     VEHICLE LEFT REAR TURN SIGNAL/BRAKE LAMP CIRCUIT   LEFT REAR TURN SIGNAL/ BRAKE LAMPS
The diagram on page 6-13 of the 2000 Horizon Operator Manual (link here) confirms this.

It is unclear if Freightliner (the chassis supplier) pre-ran a trailer electric brake controller wire that Winnebago did not use. You could call Freightliner with the VIN and ask.

Finally, your coach is old enough that a prior owner could have made modifications to provide a trailer electric brake controller wire at the coach hitch connector.

I find the etrailer.com Web page on trailer wiring helpful (link here).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, itasca, wiring