Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

14" vs. 15" wheels

I'm about to purchase my first TT Minnie micro 2100BH (dual axle). What are the pros and cons in regards to either size? If it makes sense to have 15's I'd like to upgrade during the purchase.
Thank you all for your input.
Filshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #2

I have 14s and upgraded to Load Range D tires. You can find Load Range E tires in 15s but not 14s. At 3,760 dry and a max of 7,000 max I don’t believe LR E are necessary for that TT even with enough clearance.

Have you had issues with 14 inch TT tires?
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That's good info. I'm new to towing and this is my first TT so I have no experience with trailer tires. Assuming you didn't know the exact specs. of the trailer I'm buying, I appreciate you looking up the model to see what the dry and loaded weights are. I'm still a bit puzzled why there are so many discussions around trailer tire issues, blowouts, etc. I can't wrap my head around it since my tow vehicle curb weight is 4300lbs and there is no concern with the tires ripping appart when I drive to work. I haven't researched this yet but plan to. Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #4

Top TT tire rules IMO: One, inflate to max sidewall pressure and check every morning. Two, buy new tires every three years. Three, protect from sun whenever stopped for more than three days. Four, kick them for pressure and touch tires and hubs for heat at every stop. Five, change a tire at home as if you were on the road. No need to simulate rain, wind, heat, cold, sleet, snow or speeding trucks. Consider building a wooden ramp instead of using a jack.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filshere View Post
I'm still a bit puzzled why there are so many discussions around trailer tire issues, blowouts, etc. I can't wrap my head around it since my tow vehicle curb weight is 4300lbs and there is no concern with the tires ripping appart when I drive to work. I haven't researched this yet but plan to. Thanks again!
Look for posts by Tireman9 on many RV forums. He also has a blog about RV tire safety called "RV Tire Safety". There is a lot to learn. In a nutshell trailer tires get abused, ran at too high of speeds, overloaded, under-inflated and they tend to sit for long periods which is not good for tires. On trailers with two or more axles they are also subject to something called "Interply Shear" resulting from the trailing tires being dragged sideways around turns.

Many people ignore the 65 MPH speed rating on most trailer tires and most do not weigh their rigs at the Cat scales and calculate axle weights to determine proper inflation and to ensure any one tire or axle is not overloaded. Not overloading a tire involves weight, pressure and speed, they are all part of the equation. A tire that is not overloaded at 65 MPH can become overloaded at 75 MPH carrying the same weight and pressure. It sounds confusing but if you study the relationship between the 3, and how tires are rated, you will understand.

My plan is staying with the 14's and using Goodyear Endurance ST tires and a good TPMS system. Probably will replace them after 3-4 years. Some people use LT tires but they are not designed to withstand the interply shear like the ST (special trailer) tires are.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #6

Bigb’s point about speed is very important.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

There is one more issue to add. Your RV was designed for a maximum target weight of 7,000 pounds. To carry the weight there are two 3,500 pound rated axles/spring sets installed which defines the brake and bearing size. Assume you will will carry whatever load you plan tp carry no matter what tires you buy. The 15" tires have a lower rpm than the 14" tires which is a plus on the bearing life since they turn less. The negative is the 15" tires are a little heavier than the 14" ones and the is an issue of un-sprung weight that effects the life of the bearings. Sorry, I am a retired recovering engineer and I get lost in details. All things considered, I have had many little trailers and I upgraded to 15" tires every time if there was clearance to fit. Another thing to consider is final height. Bigger/taller tires will raise the height of the first step. It will also add to the wind resistance while pulling. I pull with a big dually but a smaller tow rig may feel the wind. Maybe stay with the 14" as designed and try it.
Tucsontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #8

Half an inch higher and all these issues?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I wonder how close the 15's actually fit without the optional lift, if they fit at all
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Great feedback. Thank you all for your input on this very important topic. I'll be going with the stock 14" tires and opting out of the optional offroad 15"wheel/lift upgrade for several reasons.
Couple questions:
-Should i upgrade the tires that come on the Winnebago Micro Minnie or are they sufficient? I've herd manufactures put the lowest rated tires possible on new rigs.
-Any recommendations for a good TPMS? Seems that there are a lot of mixed reviews on them. I've read some of them give you an idea of when there is a change in tire pressure and don't really give true accurate pressure. Seems like it should provide both considering the $$$.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #11

“Should i upgrade the tires that come on the Winnebago Micro Minnie“

Depends. My 2015 came with Load Range C tires. I upgraded to Ds. Newer Winnies have Ds I understand.