Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

12 volt tow hook-up nightmare

Hi guys,
At the bottom of this drawing is the wiring diagram of the main 12v plug at the back of my motorhome. I'm trying to get my trailer connector socket to work. The wire marked AAG or the dark green wire is for the right turn signal and it is dead at the main plug. Where this AAG or dark green wire originates is anyone's guess.
My question; short of finding and repairing this AAG/dark green wire, would it be possible and/or harmful, to tap the wire marked SC or the orange/lt. blue wire? This wire brings the 12v to the rear right turn tail light bulbs. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You should always try to find and fix the source of the problem. As it will probably spread to the other wires.

Here are the Winnabago wiring diagram links

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1997/123181.pdf

Wiring Diagrams
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks motorhomer,
I've been over and over those diagrams and simply can not determine where the wiring loom for the back-end lighting begins. I've pinned out all pins and the only one that doesn't work is the dark green one, so there is a break somewher along the run or right where it originates. Wish I could figure that one out.
As I've said in my 1st post, the orange/lt.blue wire powers the right turn signal within the tail lamps and works fine. I'm just concerned that if I tap that wire and run it to the trailer socket, I'll overheat the wire due to more juice flowing through it to the toad lighting and/or produce a much dimmer display.
Any thoughts?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The connector mentioned in the diagram as being at the end of the left frame rail is the one you can't find?

It's a Ford connector. And should be on the left frame rail as it says. Mine is. Ford supplied the connector with 12" or 15" labeled wires coming out of it.

What would also be useful is the Ford wiring diagrams, the "EVTM". I have the '03 diagrams and can post them later.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Tom. I wasn't sure if the wiring loom was Ford or Winnebago. I'd love to see how the 03 loom runs, especially where it terminate/originates up front. Hopefully things haven't changed too much and I'll be able to decipher this problem.

Peter
Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Danged if I can't find my DVD right now. I'll find it though....

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just worked on mine last year. Winnebgo, does not hook up all the wires ford provides on the chassis. there are separate fuses for the trailer plug wiring. I've never blown one, so, not sure where they are. could be under the front hood. could be under the dash cap. or under the dash by the floor. Ford, and others, use a light converter circuit, due to the third brake light. Ford provides mixed and separate turn and brake light circuits, in the factory harness. Find the correct fuse panel and you'll find your power problem. I wouldn't try to use the wire from the tail light circuits, as you'll probably do more harm than good, due to the converter system I'm going to go look in the wiring diagrams now. I'll see if I can find the fuse panel.
Kerry
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Try this,

My previous motorhome was a '99 Adventurer on a Ford chassis ...

The dash lifted up ... whenever my turn signals did not work on the '99 it was because of a blown fuse in the fuse block under the dash ... the secret was that the switch had to be ON in order to test the fuses ...

I hope this helps ...
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wow...good info, you guys are on your A game with this.

HotMech,
You are exactly correct with the surplus of unused wires from the Ford plug. In fact, the schematic drawing shows what color coded wires are unused. You'll also see that there are separate wires dedicated to the trailer socket and dedicated wires to the tail light assembly.
I did temporarily tap into the orange/lt.blue wire and now have a right turn signal on the socket, but in comparison to the left turn signal, the tester bulb does not illuminate as brightly. My guess is the higher draw.
I'd really like to trace out the faulty dark green wire but have no idea where it originates i.e. under hood, dash etc. I'll be spending the day today under the coach in hopes of figuring this out.

Just for clarification; all signal lights work on the coach. My problem is within the trailer socket and the right turn pin not working (aka dark green wire marked AAG on schematic.) All other positions within the trailer socket work.....I'm beginning to dislike the color green LOL.
Keep the suggestions coming, it is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Well, I gave it 'ell today and no joy. Followed the dark green wire up to the bottom of where your feet rest in the cockpit and it gets lost in a huge bundle of wire never to be seen again. Unless I can find a Ford schematic for the frontend electrical, this is a lost cause. Frustrated...over and out.

Peter
Old 07-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Wire Tracers

While refitting my sailboat I found a wire tracer to be of great help. This one is available on Amazon, but you could probably find one at a nearby Lowe's or Home Depot.

Gardner Bender #ET64220 MP Wire Tracker/Trace

Bill Burgner
Orlando, FL
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

On my Winnebago Diesel pusher there are fuses for the tow socket behind a panel in the electrical bay. If you blow one of those fuses you won't have power to your towing socket but all the motorhome lights will work. I hope you called Winnie and asked them. I know of people that have spent hundreds of dollars trying to trace those wires looking for the fuses.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys. Yes I've been in contact with Winnie but they've been so wrapped up with the rally I'm not sure I got the correct tech with the knowledge needed.
Again, to clarify my issue, the socket works fine, all motorhome lights work fine. The ONLY issue is the right turn signal within the socket. See the posted diagram above.
The dark green wire from the Ford connection is dead. This is the AAG or right turn circuit. It is dead at the Ford socket and I've tried to trace this wire, moving forward on the left frame rail, looking for breaks, chafes, shorts etc. It gets lost under the driver's seat in a bundle of a gazillion wires. I'm clueless as to where it breaks out of the loom from there. Under the dash? Through the firewall to the fuse block? To wherever??? This is where I'm stuck.
Now, in order to tow my corolla I've tapped into the Orange/Lt.Blue wire (see diagram above) and spliced into the correct pin (right turn pin position) and now have all lights, everywhere, happily working. The only problem in doing this, on the corolla the right turn bulb/signal is a bit dimmer that the left blinker. Right side brakelight is a bit dimmer than the left brakelight bulb. Might not be optimum but it works and satisfies those who can write tickets. My real concern is the dimming being a sign of too much power draw through inadequate sized wires with the added bulbs from the toad. This is what keeps me up at night and something I watch very closely for heat damage to wires and connectors.
Phewwwww, that was a mouth full.

Peter
Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

You could use a Bosch automotive power relay. Trigger it with the lead you tapped on the light and power it from the 12 vdc on the socket. This way there will be no load on the tapped light circuit.

Relay 101
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

John,
I don't have the electrical knowledge or understanding to follow your description. Can you draw me a schematic showing what you describe? I'm game for anything. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
John,
I don't have the electrical knowledge or understanding to follow your description. Can you draw me a schematic showing what you describe? I'm game for anything. Thanks.
Just buy a SPST Bosch relay with socket at an auto supply store, about $3.50 for relay and $2.00 for socket. The socket has wires attached to connect with crimp butt connectors. Connect your tap from the tail light to pin 85 of the relay, connect pin 86 of relay to ground. Connect 12 vdc to pin 30 of the relay and connect pin 87 of the relay to the pin on the 7 pin connector for the tail light. If this isn't enough I will draw you a schematic with colors and pin numbers.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks John. I understand your hook-up instructions and will give it a go.
For clarity and to ensure I understand completely; what this will do is provide a separate 12v source of power to my trailer sockets right turn signal pin. When I set my blinker for a right turn, the Orange/Lt.Blue is energized and the motorhome right turn bulbs blink. At the same time, the added relay is energized via the Orange/Lt.Blue connection (85) which in turns allows the new 12v power supply (30) to energize the sockets(87) right turn pin (aka dark green wire).
Does that description work? It's how I have it pictured in my head.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I think you have it. Be sure to use heavy enough wire, I would use 14 ga.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks...will post results when project is finished in a few days.