Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winter Texas destination?

We do not do snowbird lifestyle, but would like to try a two week excursion south this winter. Living in Kansas, the closest route to winter warm seems to be straight south through Texas. Thinking of stopping in Galveston for a base camp and taking day trips to Corpus Christi, south padre, etc. would love to hear from anyone with advice or even some specifics related to camping, day activities, best time, (Jan/Feb), etc.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
Site Team

The thing is... to really escape winter in Texas you need to head to the Rio Grande Valley, South Padre, Brownsville, etc.

Any given two weeks in Galveston and even Corpus can see bitter cold temps between December and March. And February is notorious for the worst weather.

This is why we leave the San Antonio area and go to Tucson for Jan/Feb each year.

I know the RGV is as warm as you can get during the winter in Texas but even there you can get some cold wind and rain to harsh your mellow. Heck the week we arrived in Tucson last year it snowed there!

We're going to Port Aransas for Thanksgiving this year (just off of Corpus Christi) and it's due to be 60 degrees with a 90% chance of rain and 25 mph north wind on Thanksgiving day. That may not be Kansas winter but it sure isn't pleasant weather.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I understand that cold fronts are common in the warm weather states in the winter. So let’s say we camp in Galveston, don’t like the weather so decide on the spur of the moment to go on South Padre. Will we find camping available? We are not dry campers but also do not need for hook up
Old 11-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
Will we find camping available? We are not dry campers but also do not need for hook up
I can't answer from my experience. I know that the area does fill up with snowbirds, many from Canada. Those folks were missing last year so I'd guess they will be very motivated to make the trek this year.

I'm sure there will be some space.

PS.By the way, Texas is not a haven for boondockers. Almost all the land here has been spoken for and even fenced since the late 1800's.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We live 14 miles from Galveston. Although we can have some times coole/colder spells the typically only last a day or two. Evenings can be chilly with day time temps in the high 50's to 60's but then we never know if on Christmas Day we will be running the air conditione or the heater.

Day trips to Corpus! Have you ever been to Texas? Corpus is 220 mile from Galveston, 253 to padre Island, and 417 to South Padre Island.

Let me know if you come to Galveston, coffee's on me.

p.s., Don't forget that from the panhandle of Texas to Galveston is a little over 600 miles. Not the furthest across Texas, just shy of about 200 mile. Everything in Texas is bigger, y'all.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
We live 14 miles from Galveston. Although we can have some times coole/colder spells the typically only last a day or two. Evenings can be chilly with day time temps in the high 50's to 60's but then we never know if on Christmas Day we will be running the air conditione or the heater.

Day trips to Corpus! Have you ever been to Texas? Corpus is 220 mile from Galveston, 253 to padre Island, and 417 to South Padre Island.

Let me know if you come to Galveston, coffee's on me.

p.s., Don't forget that from the panhandle of Texas to Galveston is a little over 600 miles. Not the furthest across Texas, just shy of about 200 mile. Everything in Texas is bigger, y'all.
Boy did I read the map wrong. Siri tells me that Galveston is 822 miles from my house so that’s all the further we would be interested in going. And 50’s - 60’s in January sounds good to us. So do you have a state park or other campground you recommend? RV parks where we’re jammed together are not good for us. And, how soon should we reserve? Probably not wise but I’d rather wait until I see a weather pattern in my area that looks snowy or frigid and jump on a reservation then. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
RVCalypso

Quote:
Boy did I read the map wrong. Siri tells me that Galveston is 822 miles from my house so that’s all the further we would be interested in going. And 50’s - 60’s in January sounds good to us. So do you have a state park or other campground you recommend? RV parks where we’re jammed together are not good for us. And, how soon should we reserve? Probably not wise but I’d rather wait until I see a weather pattern in my area that looks snowy or frigid and jump on a reservation then. Thanks!
It has been my experience anytime you get by water early reservations are highly encouraged. We just made reservations in Port Aransas, TX for July and August 2022. There are plenty of places to dry camp on the beach that are first come. On Port Aransas you can buy an annual pass for $12 that allows you to camp on the beach for 3 days. You then have to move to a different location on the beach then rinse and repeat. That may not be an option for you as you said you prefer hookups. We will leave the campground a couple of times and drive down on the beach for a couple days then return to our monthly site.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We are not native Texas folks but tend to still be KC and Missouri thinkers as we still have folks in SW Missouri and spent lots of time in Shawnee to kind of know how you feel about winter.
The point being that we each have what we feel right and it's hard to change that at times. I have a brother with fifth wheel in Sw Missouri and the thinking has always been that one could excape winter by going to Texas! However he came down and we tried it a couple years down in the Brownsville, Soth Padre area and do not feel it worth the trek.
To get far enough South one has to trek way too far for the small bennies we found as we do not like wind when it is cool! One big thing to keep in mind when getting near the coast is that the wind is always working to keep the temps equal and always going on or ooff shore!

That leaves a sunny day of 60 that might be considered quite nice in KC, being totally miserable when on South Padre! Galveston was a big favorite when we lived in Shawnee but now that we live near Austin the 4 hour trip to Corpus doesn't get us anything worth doing for winter escape.
This year we are headed to Fort Myers, Florida and the brother is going to Arizona!

My advise might be to go if it is a new experience, but not to worry the campsite avalbility and certainly not do any long term reservations. That leaves you more open and free to change your minds if it is not what you want. Assuming one might be coming down I-35, there are a number of corp of engineer lakes along the path and those are ouyr favs as the price is right and they offfer many benefits which commercial do not, depending on what you cnsider nice. We don't want clubhouses, etcbut space and controlled quiet is our prime thing.

We do not like the constant wind near shore so stay back off the beach and that also works for us as we find plenty of spots open. We do not like the appearance we find as we get closer to the shore as there is little motivation to paint or do any upkeep if it gets blown down every few years, so things get pretty ugly as many things are still left from the last big blow!

When not trying to avoid cold, we much prefer the piney woods of East Texas as it has far less wind making the same temp feel much better! Lake Tyler, tucked down behind a hill can be much nicer on a sunny day than if you are left out in the open on a beach!
No way to tell what we will each favor!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Very informative reply. Thank you! We actually understand the weather misconception that of winter weather in the south. In fact, we have been in Pheonix in winter during a cold spell. Temp barely got out of the 50s for 4 days. And yes, I’ve heard of wind ruining everything along the coast. So am probably going to scrap a loooong treck until we are ready to go Deep South or Florida/Arizona. I like your advice for us to watch weather forecasts and head down I -35 once we are sick of the cold. …..which will probably be about Jan 1
Old 11-23-2021, 10:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Keith, Texas is big, I'm typing with only 1 hand as i had rotator cuff surgery and still in a sling. some time ago I put together a list but there have been additions since then. I would recommend using Campground Reviews for any additions.

Galveston State Park is under construction so only bay side is open.

Here's the list I started and it is not all inclusive.

RV Parks near us

USA LaMarque, TX

Daily $59 W/S/E
Weekly $320 W/S/E
Monthly $495 back in; $595 Pull through. W/S E metered
Monthly Elect 12 cents KW hour; $150 deposit

USA, Bacliff, TX

Daily $59
Weekly $320 W/S/E
Monthly $495 Through March W/S/E
Monthly $595 Apr-Oct W/S E metered

USA Lake Cove, Dickinson TX

Daily $59 W/S/E
Weekly $320 W/S/E
Monthly back-in $662 W/S/ E metered
Monthly Pull-through $692

Marquee on the Bay (Next to Galveston Bay RV Park)

Daily $50
Weekly $253
Monthly:
On the Bayou $650
Off the Bayou Back-in $500
Off the Bayou Pull-through $550
All services included.

Galveston Bay RV Resort & Marina (Next to Marquee on the Lake)

DAILY WEEKLY MONTHLY
PULL THROUGH 1-17 MAIN AREA $55.00 $250.00 $500.00
MARINA 18-25; 34-47 & 47A & 62 MAIN & SE AREA $60.00 $275.00 $525.00
POND 26-33 MAIN AREA $50.00 $225.00 $500.00
BAYOU BAY WATERFRONT 63-69; 74-78 SE AREA $65.00 $300.00 $600.00
BACK IN 47B-61; 79-81 SE AREA $60.00 $275.00 $525.00
BAYOU BAY WATERFRONT 70-73 SE AREA $75.00 $300.00 $650.00
LUXURY MARINA/BAYOU 101-107 / 112-117 SW AREA $75.00 $325.00 $625.00
LUXURY BAYOU WATERFRONT 108-111 & 118 SW AREA $80.00 $350.00 $700.00
LUXURY BACK IN 119-122 SW AREA $60.00 $275.00 $525.00
LUXURY BACK 123-130 SW INTERIOR AREA $70.00 $300.00 $600.00
LUXURY PULL THROUGH 201-212 $60.00 $275.00 $525.00
LUXURY NORTH BACK IN 226-241 $60.00 $275.00 $525.00
LUXURY NORTH POND $75.00 $325.00 $675.00
LUXURY BACK 213-225 $60.00 $275.00 $525.00

Stella Mare Galveston TX

Sept 15 - May 14 (Too expensive in Summer time.

Deluxe Back-in
Daily $41.50
Weekly $243.00
Monthly $609.00

Premium Pull thru
Daily $44.50
Weekly $257.00
Monthly $649.00
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Wayne. You’re info is printed and in my file. I appreciate the effort with one hand especially! Get well soon.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

As I mentioned if not interested in cluchouse, etc, there are lots of alternates that we like much better than commercial as we value space.
Goose island state park is one that might be of lots of interest as it has the basic hookups water and electricity to make it a bit easier but not too much of the other "lifestyle" parts.
We did not want out on the water so preferred tucked back into the brush so that we never really saw the next dampsite except on hikes. We went to see the sandhill cranes and got that part down very well.
Do be advised that the big fishing boatswith REALLY loud engines do take off near dawn, though!
Part of what we look for is something close enough to find groceries but not so close to city that we still feel like we never left???

Lake Corpus Christi state park has some interest as a place to stay back from the bad parts of being too close to the water but close enough to drive over if you feel the need.
I've never felt the need to go to the water much when it is too cold to swim!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

You’re just gonna have to stop running the obstacle course Wayne.

Don’t wanna step on OP’s thread, but we’re headed west from FL to San Onofre cg Camp Pendleton in Feb. Appreciate advice on good boondocking BLM or NFS west of Houston off I-10. Or COE.

Get well soon. Need you on the front lines.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
We do not do snowbird lifestyle, but would like to try a two week excursion south this winter. Living in Kansas, the closest route to winter warm seems to be straight south through Texas. Thinking of stopping in Galveston for a base camp and taking day trips to Corpus Christi, south padre, etc. would love to hear from anyone with advice or even some specifics related to camping, day activities, best time, (Jan/Feb), etc.
We spend every Winter in the Mission West RV Resort in Palmview TX. Reasonable rent,nice facilities, as warm As it gets in US. About even with Miami.
billrti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Likely won't happen again this year, but the Big Freeze last year changed a lot of "Winter Texans" (not "snowbirds"!) perception of seasonal stays there. The cold was bad enough, but the lack of electricity was the straw that broke the camel's back..

I grew up in Texas and have snowbirded there, but last year made us very glad to have been going to Arizona in January for many years!
Old 11-28-2021, 05:40 PM   #16
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Winter in texas

Has anyone had any problems with the illegal alien border crossing areas?
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter