Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Just returned from taking my coach back to the factory in Forest City. Let me tell they still have full blown winter up there. My coach looked like an ice cube when I pulled up to the Cust Sv Cntr. Drove about 250 miles in blowing snow, tons of slush on the road, salt everywhere.
I ask if they would run the coach through the leak test center, to get the salt off the underneath. Jerry (Service Mgr), said he would.
They are one nice bunch of people at Winnie. Very accommodating. They are not giving plant tours right now, but will when I pick it up in late April. Very impressive compound at Winnebago Industries. Gives the impression they are in business to stay. I am having the fogged ATWOOD dual pane windows replaced among other major repairs.
I drove the 700 miles back home with out stopping, except for fuel. I had an excellent navigator on board, he helped with road signs and the GPS. Fuel prices are outrageous all the way there and back.
I am very glad we finally got the coach in for major repair. Winnebago is the way to go!
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Just returned from taking my coach back to the factory in Forest City. Let me tell they still have full blown winter up there. My coach looked like an ice cube when I pulled up to the Cust Sv Cntr. Drove about 250 miles in blowing snow, tons of slush on the road, salt everywhere.
I ask if they would run the coach through the leak test center, to get the salt off the underneath. Jerry (Service Mgr), said he would.
They are one nice bunch of people at Winnie. Very accommodating. They are not giving plant tours right now, but will when I pick it up in late April. Very impressive compound at Winnebago Industries. Gives the impression they are in business to stay. I am having the fogged ATWOOD dual pane windows replaced among other major repairs.
I drove the 700 miles back home with out stopping, except for fuel. I had an excellent navigator on board, he helped with road signs and the GPS. Fuel prices are outrageous all the way there and back.
I am very glad we finally got the coach in for major repair. Winnebago is the way to go!
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
Winnebago is the way to go! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Homer;

Thank you for your report. It is easy to complain when things don't go well but also easy to be silent when things do go well. I have been to the plant 3 times for the tour & I have been impressed every time. I am proud to be a Winnebago owner and I plan to continue.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">--snip--Winnebago is the way to go! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As a matter of fact - yes they are!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

John
Just read about your recent trip to the factory. I am headed up there for my appointment on April 1, I hope the weather is much better by then. My RV is only 6 months old and this is my first trip to the factory. My questions are about where do you park the night before, is there reserved spots for those with appt. the next day? I have a 4 day appt, maybe longer, will they let you stay in your coach over night during the time they are making repairs? And should one winterize the coach before going to Forest City???? Any other helpful hints you can give this rookie on my first trip to the factory would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
Living The Dream

Tom,

If you have an appointment for service, you can park and hook up the electrical right in the parking lot of the service center. With no appointment, you can park and hook up the electrical in the parking lot of the visitors center across the street.

Unless they are working on something which takes your coach completely out of service for more than the day, you will get your coach back each evening until the work is completed.

By the way, our one occasion for factory service, which was in November last year, was COMPLETELY POSITIVE. Very professional.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NCTom:
And should one winterize the coach before going to Forest City???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom,
Her's a link to the Weather Channel's extended forecast for Forest City. In Northern Iowa, winter only grudgingly gives way to spring. If you are not winterized now I think you will be OK with running the gas heater. Temps won't be below freezing for that long!

As Warren said, there are electric hookups at the Visitor's Center and the parking lot in front of the service center. Next to the service center lot are (I think) eight spaces to park with electric.

Maintenance business may be picking up again and if those spaces are full you may park up in the Rally Park. They'll show you where the spaces are. The Rally Park has 30A electric with water and dump stations nearby. One of the shower rooms is always open and they have lots of hot water. Oh yeah! ....There is WiFi in the park too.

If, for some reason, they need your coach overnight I suggest staying at The Lodge, right next to the Rally Park.

I would plan to check-in at the service desk the day before your appointment. There is a good chance they will be able to get your paperwork started so the tech can begin first thing in the morning.

Be sure to look at the maps of Forest City and Winnebago Industries at the top of this forum. They'll give you a paper copy at the service center.

We spent five days there last October, and, ours too was a pleasant experience.

Oh! One last thing. We reccommend Sally's restaurant in town on Clark St. Great breakfast place and nice people!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NCTom:
John
Just read about your recent trip to the factory. I am headed up there for my appointment on April 1, I hope the weather is much better by then. My RV is only 6 months old and this is my first trip to the factory. My questions are about where do you park the night before, is there reserved spots for those with appt. the next day? I have a 4 day appt, maybe longer, will they let you stay in your coach over night during the time they are making repairs? And should one winterize the coach before going to Forest City???? Any other helpful hints you can give this rookie on my first trip to the factory would be greatly appreciated. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>With an appointment, you can park directly in front of the service building on the pavement assuming you can find a spot. If not, you can put the jacks down immediately to the north in another parking area for drop-ins (no appointments) or at Rally Park (two minutes to the east.) The visitor center also has a few hookups (all are electric only.) Water and a dump at Rally Park.

I think service opens on Mondays at 0645, other days at 0700.

Yes - you can stay in your coach overnight - however sometimes to speed things along, you might consider letting them having the coach for a day or three depending on your particular situation. We had tile added and let them have the coach for three or four days - there was no way we could have had the coach back every night.

The Lodge won't accept pets, Super8 will.

Forest City is a really nice little town and I think you will enjoy some of small-town Americana.

Do a forum search for Forest City or factory service for more info.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote