Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 12:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What's it like out there now?

I have not been across the USA since 2018. We are heading out once again to travel across the USA. What is it like out there now? I have heard that there has been a large increase in people taking up RVing. In the past I have never had a hard time finding a campsite but now I am worried that it will not be like the old days. Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
Dsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Its far from what the old days used to be. We just finished a 3 week tour of Bryce, Zion, Canyland etc. We stay is private parks mostly and they were all full! Yes you may get a spot for a night on week day but for long stays is parks near popular destinations forget it.

Plan your trip book in advance when possible.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

One of the main things we found on a trip across the South end was how slowly the main features we use are recovering.
We are also having very much the same experience here in the Central Texas area as things are slowly getting back to normal.
We are beginning to feel better having had both shots and many still wearing masks, so that the ten percent chance of getting covid is being slowly pressed down but when we go out to eat, it is just not worth the effort.
Prices are out of sight, service is marginal and the way food service is operating makes it just not fun. Too much complaining about they can't do this, can't do that so that we are just not ready to pay premium prices to eat Chinese takeout off styro plates and using plastic forks while setting at a table next to the takeout supplies!
If business wants to get back to normal, they are going to have to pay whatever it takes to get the help to do the things like wash dishes!!
The RV parks we stayed at were very much the same way with little to no work being done to actually get back to normal. We can make reservations but if some small item comes up like being locked out at ten, there is very little backup because the regular staff and owners are tired!
Full parks, minimum service and Karens on every corner makes it not our time to leave home! Whether we wear a mask or don't wear a mask, there is likely to be somebody in your face!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
Site Team

We just finished a 6-week 4,100 mile trip.

It was great. We had no unusual issues or problems and even ate indoors in a few restaurants with family members. We wore masks everywhere they were required or requested to enter.

We did have reservations at every single campground (17 different CGs) and weekends were extremely full/sold out everywhere.

Gas prices rose daily and we paid a high of $3.19/gal in Illinois. At the start of our trip gas was $2.25/gal locally and when we returned the local price was $2.69.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Kinda takes the fun out of exploring with a timeline. In the past I just wondered and never made reservations. Ugh... this is going to make it more difficult and less fun if we are pressured to get to a campground on time because we have reservations for it. How about Boondocking have any of you noticed an increase in those areas.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Unfortunately what was normal is likely gone and what happens in the future is still undecided. The service aspect of things is going to be very much different once things settle into a routine where we go out to shop far less and really find it difficult to find products in the stores locally.
Locally it is a mixed bag on hiring people as many places like restaurants are not staffed enough to fully open and say they can't hire but when we go to IHOP, they are fully staffed and open! We now buy the "take and bake" pizza because there are no places to go out to eat pizza and get good service!
Some will adapt and make it, some won't! Not going to be pleasant, either way.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Visitors to the national parks in 2020 were double that of 2019. No reason to think that there will be fewer visitors in 2021 as the pandemic has still precluded overseas travel and cruises and other travel options.

For us dry camping is going to be much more a factor in trip planning and with our 2021 Navion that means a lot more generator run time. With the BLM the term is disperesed camping and the feds have not made their use any more restrictive which is good news.

No real data but I would guess that 20% of the destinations get 80% of the traffic and all the more reason to look for less popular or more difficult to reach locations. Avoid the places where the tour groups would go in the past and having an RV makes this relatively easy to do with minimal inconvenience. The shorter the RV rig in total the easier it will be to find places to stop and or stay as well.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have done many trips during COVID. In general we were able to get spots to stay.

This summer we have had issues with many of the state parks in the west being booked on every weekend for months. Nothing available on the beach all the way up CA through OR.

It is a challenge, but we still have been able to get private parks, and other places to stay. We tend to like electrical hookup at most times.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We are doing a Major trip across the U.S. but it's not until September. Here's hoping it will be OK..
LeeB
Old 06-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Definitely need to plan ahead. National and state parks are the hardest to get in.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Be sure to plan your trip and book well in advance. We are finding that popular campgrounds are booked out forever and many others are booked out forever on weekends. So we choose campgrounds off the beaten path and look for places to visit that are unique to these places. We will go from Monday through Friday if we have to. So far, we have enjoyed our camping as well as in the past, although without internet, WiFi, cable, or tv in some places.
Millikenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Interestingly, I'm not seeing a lot of RVs out on the California highways, particularly ones that traditionally have a lot of RVs - I-5, I-80.

Maybe something to do with the $4.23 regular.

I will find out for myself when we take off June 29.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:52 PM   #13

People will tell you all kinds of things and most of it isn't true when it comes to how much time and money they spend RVing. I'm guessing it's 50/50.

IMO, the way I like to travel, I say screw the booking in advance thing. Just hit the road and take whatever the road throws at you. All you have to be is smart, flexible, and capable.

Your hoody tells me you can handle that. However, if you are traveling with a partner they have to agree with your method and madness; or you might be having a blast and your partner will cut you off just as soon as you get back home.

Last year, traveling during Covid left the highways empty. And it was really cool to be the only one on back road for hours at a time.

This summer the roads are busier, but the towns are back in business.

I travel 5,000-8,000 miles every summer. And the only thing I would advice is that you avoid the "blue" states as much as possible; which is regrettable, because I really like going to music festivals and museums.

I see you are in Vermont which means you don't need to see trees. Why don't you head for Old Quebec City?

Of course, I don't know if Canada is accepting Americans with Passports. Do you know? If so, I would make a B-line for Old Quebec City and say overnight at the City Park... or two nights no problem. Just arrive at night and you will be fine.

If you want a real trip, and have 3+ weeks, I would head for Hot Springs, AR and soak... then New Orleans... Port Aransas, TX and camp on the beach; and then you need to decide if you need to go home or let the good times roll some more.

BTW, Arkansas has great fishing, and lots of affordable county and city parks that operate on a first-come, first serve basis too!

Personally, I hate staying in RV parks. Too much work to unhook. Too cramped. Ugly as a rule. I would rather stay wherever it make sense. And I love taking in good food, good music, and the occasional ball game. So those are my destinations.

You might laugh, but I always follow the weather, as in I find a (warm) storm front and stay behind it. "Wind at your back," as they say in jolly old England.

Or... just make your reservation for weeks at a time at your favorite RV park and veg. However, you like to travel, the only danger zones out there are the same as they have always been... x10. So why go there.

...And never forget, if you are traveling with a partner, as they say, Happy wife, happy life." (Or husband as the case may be.)

If you have travelled in the past, I doubt you will find things much different today. Only your awareness is different.

OP: What is a "Spring Powered Pro?" ...As shown in your picture.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:42 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Got lucky and snagged the last remaining RV campsite of the summer at Acadia NP in mid-August. Probably was a cancellation. Outer Banks Ocracoke boondocking next week. Had to book into February to get a spot at Anastasia SP in St. Augustine. Wondering if our cross country from Florida to California will be plagued by unavailable NP and SP . Maybe get lucky with Army COE. Not much BLM between here and Texas. DW tiring of Cracker Barrel.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I hate RVing on schedule. We are now out on the road. We started in Vermont and so far have not had a problem. This maybe because we started out on a Monday. But now we are heading into the weekend and camping sites are Becoming harder to find. Worst case we will find a Walmart or just deal with noise and the truckers at service areas. In the past I have only had to make reservations a few times and we have traveled across the US 10 times from Vermont out California. I just can't do this reservation thing. So we are just going to do it the same way as we always have. Go with the flow and deal with it. First night was Verona state park in NY. Second night family in Ohio. Third night free camping in Michigan at the Airway Fun Center found using the Harvest Host app. Trying to get spot on a farm for tonight in Iowa. Cheers!
Old 06-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I live in my 2108DS fulltime and travel 100%. No sticks and bricks. Parks are FULL at the popular vacation destinations, but you can still try for cancellations or "walk up" sites. I boondock as much as possible. Someone else said it already, the spots that are "easy" to get to are hard to find a spot, but the more agile your vehicle, the more options you have. It is heartbreaking to me to see my old favorite spots now overrun with vans and trash. As RVing becomes more of a bloodsport, people seem to be breaking more rules or just don't educate themselves. Sad, but if trashing of our public lands continues it will be even more difficult to find legal dispersed camping as places get shut down to 'recover'. As far as restaurants go, many are open, some not. Best to check locally. Expect the unexpected.
Amazonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

We have traveled extensively in the past years during the summer months. We typically know where we are going and will make sure that we have reservations for weekends and holidays. DW will not stay in a Walmart or other boondocking site. It's just her preference, and at our age I also like FHU. We did not travel for the summer of 2020 due to COVID. Again, an age preference of close to being an octogenarian.

In the past several years we have had "some" difficulty in making reservations, but were able to move on to another park in the area and make a reservation. This year we decided to make reservations in advance.

Around the first of May we started making reservations for our July and August part of the trip. I was amazed when I called each place we wanted to stay at and they were able to make the reservations. Around the 1st of August we'll start trying to make reservations for the return trip

Yes, there has been a big influx of RV buyers and many RV companies are backlogged with orders. Here's my take on it. With COVID-19 many people lost jobs or were on reduced salaries/wages/hours. Unable to pay mortgages they found that living in an RV for under $500 a month in many places would save them a lot of money. So now many of the Campgrounds have permanent RV'ers living there and it keeps their campground income steady. This limits the "overnite" stays.

Also, from the end of May to the last week of August or 1st week of September, school are out. Parents take their children camping but since the parents work during the week the book weekends so it is more difficult to find a weekend spot during those months. Once school starts there may be a few more weekends booked but some CG's will be open.

So, in my opinion (not worth a lot) it is better to book a CG during Summer months or when school is in session. JMHO
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Consider heading North into Minnesota. We had rain last week and more on the way (better climate than you are going to find out west right now)_. Lots of camping options, weekends can be tough but otherwise not that hard to find open campsites. We just spent 3 nights in Lanesboro MN and biked the root river bike trail everyday. There were plenty of open sites at the city campground when we left today (W+E+DS). $30 night. Now at Nerstrand SP, lots of open sites with E.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote