Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Washing a motor home while on the road

Curious to know what majority of people do while traveling to wash their motorhomes. Most campgrounds don't allow for washing while in the park. I tried a wand wash however the hose kept getting caught on items on the roof and slowed the project down significantly. Is there a better alternative?
Retiredrvbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sometimes when a coach is really dirty, there is no substitute for soap and water. However, when it is primarily dusty or without caked on mud, road grime, I will use one of the dry wash products. There are many but I prefer 'No Wet'. It is a cleaner that leaves a nice wax shine. I use it on my motorhome and my cars and it does not scratch the paint if you use it as instructed.

Some folks use the Beacon drive thru big truck washes and report satisfactory results. I have not tried those.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

retiredrvbud,
Well Sir, we ran into the same exact problem. I'm one of those types that likes it clean, as much of the time as possible. But, I do understand that rain and poor weather conditions will take it's toll. Yes, I'd say about 95% of the camp grounds don't permit it. But, I usually managed to pull it off late at night. I'm also one of those that does not let the water run into the next state while soaping things down. I'm very conservative. When I'm done, you can barely tell I washed it by the small amount of water on the ground.

Now, as for getting it done LEGALLY, there are some campgrounds that permit a "detail" crew to come in and do the job for you. And, we've camped in "Slick Rock" camp ground in Moab UT and they charge you about twenty bucks or so and that's doing it yourself. I've never seen a campground or RV park that had a "Wash stall" in it but, there may be some out there.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

Most truck stops will have a truck wash. Expensive but they do get it clean. If you have decals make sure to tell them not to use the high pressure spray or stand back a ways as not to tear off your decals.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I stop at the prettiest mountain overlook rest area I can find. Fill a bucket of water with suds and whip out my small 1400psi Karcher pressure washer I always carry (it's smaller than a bread box). About $80 or less, sometimes $50 at Wal-Mart clearance.

A quick wetting with the pressure washer fed from the RV water pump, use a pole mounted microfiber pad from Wal-Mart and the bucket of suds to wash. The final rinse with the pressure washer. I can do 45ft of RV in way less than an hour on 15gals of water. Yep, top to bottom wash. Run the pressure washer off inverter and on-board water.

The small pressure washer is a key - it's low pressure won't harm finish in any way, is the key to using very little water, and draws a hair dryer amount of current (1200watts) making the rest stop wash a snap and almost pleasurable. The pressure washer only runs when I'm spraying so it runs just a few minutes during the entire wash - very little battery drain.

If I get lazy an occasional stop at only a Blue Beacon does the trick too... Seems only Blue Beacon has RV specific capabilities for us clear coat owners...
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Well,

The only time we drive a really long distance is once a year (when we go to Lake Havasu). Once we're there, I usually treat myself to Arizona Reflections...a washing/detailing mobile outfit that comes to our park. Really fun to watch them at work...$135.00 and 1 1/2 hours later...it sparkles!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #7

Quote:
I stop at the prettiest mountain overlook rest area I can find. Fill a bucket of water with suds and whip out my small 1400psi Karcher pressure washer I always carry (it's smaller than a bread box). About $80 or less, sometimes $50 at Wal-Mart clearance.

A quick wetting with the pressure washer fed from the RV water pump, use a pole mounted microfiber pad from Wal-Mart and the bucket of suds to wash. The final rinse with the pressure washer. I can do 45ft of RV in way less than an hour on 15gals of water. Yep, top to bottom wash. Run the pressure washer off inverter and on-board water.

The small pressure washer is a key - it's low pressure won't harm finish in any way, is the key to using very little water, and draws a hair dryer amount of current (1200watts) making the rest stop wash a snap and almost pleasurable.
Same way I do it and I also use RO water in my fresh water tank. Spotless rinse.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Here in Albuquerque I have frequently seen a mobil detailer in the park brushing and power washing RV's in the transit area. I don't know what he charges but will find out soon as my coach needs a washing.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Now this is cool. I only wash once every 3 months. Might take more showers now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post

The small pressure washer is a key - it's low pressure won't harm finish in any way, is the key to using very little water, and draws a hair dryer amount of current (1200watts) making the rest stop wash a snap and almost pleasurable.

If I get lazy an occasional stop at only a Blue Beacon does the trick too... Seems only Blue Beacon has RV specific capabilities for us clear coat owners...
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I made a 50ft hose out of clear flexible tubing with a kitchen sink nozzle on the end hook it to the outside shower hose and use an extension pole and brush at a rest stop, just make sure your water tank is full
Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We carry a 110vac pressure washer that uses inverter power and an adaptor that connects to the outside shower for water. The pressure washer uses very little water. A bucket/brush and car wash soap removes the stubborn dirt.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I have plumbing for a washer and dryer next to my bathroom. There is a small door in the bathroom wall behind the toilet that accesses the faucets. I have hooked a hose to the cold water faucet and run it through the bathroom window. Then I can turn on the water pump and use a shut off nozzle on the hose. I have stopped in the back corner of a visitor's information center and washed the rig there with my own water. The other thing that I have done is use a wet rag and a bucket and hand washed the rig. I keep the rag dry enough that there is virtually no dripping onto the ground. Then I take a clean rag and rinse it and dry it. No one has complained since virtually no water gets on the ground. Of course this works better if the rig is only lightly soiled.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I use a product called the Solution. It is perfect to wash and provide a wax-like protection for your MH. It won't do a lot of good if the RV is caked with mud (only soap and water will) but if it just has the normal dust and dirt from a long trip it will do wonders. My MH is eight years old and always looks like it just came from the factory. Super Seal Specialty Co. [ Tire Repair - Waterless Car Wash - Waste Digester - Cooling Sealant ] [ Tuff-Stuff - The Solution - Piranha - Super Seal ] I buy the gallon size and it generally lasts me about a year or so.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

With the exception of washing bugs and road grime from the front when traveling, we typically have the exterior washed and waxed by a commercial firm in the Spring before leaving Florida and late in the Fall when we have returned. If we happen to be in an area with a lot of dust requiring a wash during the summer, I wait for a moderate rain day (no lightning), take a bucket of water and a sponge on a pole and wash during the rain, using a commercial no rinse vehicle wash. Nobody complains - just wonder what the crazy guy is doing out in the rain.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

At "winter resort" RV locations we have been able to find local "at your site" wash and wax people. On the road we use Blue Beacon with generally good results.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I am presently in Texas where they are in the middle of a drought. So in being considerate I made sure to ask at each campground how their water supply is. In doing so I have found that almost all will allow washing for a small fee. The last one charged $5. What I usually do is bucket wash the front by getting the water from my tanks. This will get the bugs off at the very least. I also have found that much of the time when the sides are dirty it is a lot cleaner at the top than at the basement doors, so I can spot wash using the bucket and very little water.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Wash it just before you leave. All issues solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
The other thing that I have done is use a wet rag and a bucket and hand washed the rig. I keep the rag dry enough that there is virtually no dripping onto the ground. Then I take a clean rag and rinse it and dry it. No one has complained since virtually no water gets on the ground. Of course this works better if the rig is only lightly soiled.
I have found this method to be highly effective. If there is caked on mud or cinders, I won't do it this way, but for grime accumulated after a day of driving in rain it works great. Terry cloth towels and a bucket (or two, at the most) of water and the rig, again, looks great!

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Well.. Washing your RV while "On the road" can be a problem, I mean at 55mph it's hard to hit the side with a spary wand.... Joke aside.

Blue Beacon truck washes, often found NEAR major truck stops (I think it's www bluebeacon com) will do the job for a reasonable free. The ones I have visited seemed to understand the special needs of an RV with slide outs.

Some (many in fact) campgrounds will let you wash on site for a small additional fee. A few have mobile wash services that come in and do it for you.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

In our fulltime travels for the past 6 1/2 years, I have been able to find a park that will allow me to wash my coach at least a couple of times a year. Between "real" wash jobs, I have found a large California Duster works great. You can get one at most car parts places ...it smells like the dust mop your mom probably used when you were a kid. They claim "the dirtier it gets, the better works."