Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
Site Team

Tucson, AZ Trip Report

Here is a trip report on our first visit to Tucson, AZ. Spring is a great time to visit!
Al & Deb

https://mobilemosers.com/2021/04/30/tucson-az-124/

macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Al & Deb,
Another fantastic trip report! Great scenery and wonders to explore. How hot was it down there? I'm assuming that is a trip best done before May 1st, right?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 05-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Thanks, Eagle5! We were there at the end of March and early April. The weather was really nice this year, in the high 70’s and mid-80’s. However, we’ve been to the Phoenix area around the same time in other years and it was in the 90’s and 100’s. I think it is generally good weather before May, but you take your chances. Two years ago, for instance, we stayed in the Verde Valley and had wonderful weather in April. After we left, they actually had snow! Regardless, if it’s hotter, we just start our day earlier and have a siesta in the hot afternoon. It’s all good. :-)
Old 05-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi again Al & Deb,
I had better plan for January. Grace would be too hot, being an Arctic dog and all.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 05-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Grace looks like one happy dog.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

there are a lot of husky and mixes in tucson, so they need to aclimate then will be fine. Just like people have to do it in sessions not all at once.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Glad you liked Tucson and I am checking out your blog. I've lived in Tucson since 1969. During the summer months we like to get away to CA and NM. We did spend Christmas at the Hotel California in Palm Springs two years ago, part of that trip was to check out the Salton Sea which has always intrigued me. This summer will be our first with the small motor home and hoping we can somewhat avoid the crowds.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Loved Tucson and look forward to visiting again for the big FMCA rally next March. Enjoy your travels in your Via. It’s a great size to explore CA.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:28 PM   #9

bigb: I'm currently in Rocky Point, MX and will be traveling through
AZ and New Mexico in another 3 weeks.

Can you recommend a good hot springs that is open to the public and where I can park my RV nearby so I don't have to hike in?

I have google the subject, but after a while they all start looking alike.

...And feel free to include Nevada.

PS Lava Hot Springs in Idaho is a must stop place for RVers, and it' best off season, because it's a favorite family gathering place. There must be 8-10 hot springs in town.

If you go, you can drop into town to check out Main Street, and then circle back to the main highway I-15. ...And park your rig and tow car off Hwy-30 in a large turn-out. The walk down the hill... over the grassy parking lot... and at the bottom and to the left if an old hotel that has several concrete hot springs, at different temperatures, that is not too crowded, because they charge $20/pp and that keeps most kids and families away.

MacNut: Which Saguaro camp ground can handle a 40' RV and tow car?

The desert is so interesting, but I don't know which road to turn on and my concern is that the road defends or the camp grounds are small in size.

Are you staying here: https://www.nps.gov/sagu/index.htm
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
MacNut: Which Saguaro camp ground can handle a 40' RV and tow car?https://www.nps.gov/sagu/index.htm
We made the LazyDays Tucson KOA our base camp and took day trips from there. They can, of course, easily accommodate any size rig. Enjoy your travels!
Old 05-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
bigb: I'm currently in Rocky Point, MX and will be traveling through
AZ and New Mexico in another 3 weeks.

Can you recommend a good hot springs that is open to the public and where I can park my RV nearby so I don't have to hike in?

I have google the subject, but after a while they all start looking alike.

...And feel free to include Nevada.

PS Lava Hot Springs in Idaho is a must stop place for RVers, and it' best off season, because it's a favorite family gathering place. There must be 8-10 hot springs in town.

If you go, you can drop into town to check out Main Street, and then circle back to the main highway I-15. ...And park your rig and tow car off Hwy-30 in a large turn-out. The walk down the hill... over the grassy parking lot... and at the bottom and to the left if an old hotel that has several concrete hot springs, at different temperatures, that is not too crowded, because they charge $20/pp and that keeps most kids and families away.

MacNut: Which Saguaro camp ground can handle a 40' RV and tow car?

The desert is so interesting, but I don't know which road to turn on and my concern is that the road defends or the camp grounds are small in size.

Are you staying here: https://www.nps.gov/sagu/index.htm
Actually the only hot springs I have visited were up in Idaho near Stanley. There are some hot springs in Las Vegas, NM out near the Armand Hammer World College but I don't know how far the walk in is https://high-road-artist.com/11206/s...a-hot-springs/.

There is camping just North of Las Vegas at Storrie Lake State Park and I'm sure others that we have not yet checked out.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The Crystal Hot Springs in UTAH are rated as having the highest mineral content of any in the world. They also have an adjacent RV park. We have been there a couple of times and we like it. Its about 50 miles north of Ogden pretty much in the country. There is a KOA located just a few miles north of it.

In Lava Hot Springs, there is a nice clean hot spring that is utilized by tour companies and is very nice. Its about 75 miles north of Crystal hot springs. A KOA and 1 or 2 other RV parks in area. We have been there following out stop at crystal.

But like everything else just dont know how things will be due to the virus. Kinda hard to enjoy the hot springs wearing a mask!

Here in the SE AZ area there is a hot water spring over by Bowie (close to nm line). It a OHV area where folks gaather to ride off highway vehicles. Last time there 2 pools a big one abut 4 ft deep and a kiddie pool. The is rv parking but no hookups dont remember the cost but its just like any forest service camp fee. There is a rest room changing area on site. Supposedly they were drilling for oil back in 20-30's and hit the hot water instead!

Supposedly there are some walk in hot springs but dont know anything about them in AZ. There is also one up by wickenberge forget the name but it require 4wd to access plus is a walk in. It was an old hotel but it closed and I guess the bridge to it is out so the reason to walk in.

Do a google search for hot springs they are all pretty much listed. A lot in NM are clothing optional so of no interest to us. There is also one in Calif not far from the AZ line that is the same way but they have segregated the men/women pools.

Also Pagosa Springs in southern Colo has a couple of hot spring areas. One is a hotel/resort and the other is a smaller family owned one. They have/had a 6 lot rv park and an adjacent motel. The smaller one is where we go.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #13
Site Team

We love Tucson. This was our 5th year of spending Jan/Feb there at the Lazy Days KOA and we reserved the same spot for next year the day we left for home. We have been to Phoenix in April and suffered for the heat. The sun was brutal until 6pm every day and then it was like someone turned off a heat lamp.

I know... it's a dry heat.

Great restaurants, museums and parks in Tucson and "The Loop" bike trail!! 65 miles of paved bike trail rings the city. It's super.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	923ACF7A-815E-4D5A-B9EA-51B32D5A0E96.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	549.2 KB
ID:	178718  
Old 05-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #14
2022 Travato 59KL

"Dry Heat." Yeah, so's my oven!
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:01 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We love Tucson. This was our 5th year of spending Jan/Feb there at the Lazy Days KOA and we reserved the same spot for next year the day we left for home. We have been to Phoenix in April and suffered for the heat. The sun was brutal until 6pm every day and then it was like someone turned off a heat lamp.

I know... it's a dry heat.

Great restaurants, museums and parks in Tucson and "The Loop" bike trail!! 65 miles of paved bike trail rings the city. It's super.
How was the loop near the KOA? The area didn’t seem too scenic so I drove the bikes to Oro Valley.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:03 PM   #16
Site Team

Jan/Feb is probably very nice. I’ve visited Mesa in April in high 90 heat and it wasn’t fun. But, yeah, I guess it was dry heat. :-)
Old 05-07-2021, 06:18 AM   #17
Site Team

The Loop is less visually dramatic on the south side but still great. The photo I posted was out by Catalina State Park so it was Oro Valley. From the Lazy Days you go south and East toward the Air Force Base or North and west to Downtown.

I liked it all but it depends on what you’re looking for.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Mt Lemmon

We stayed at Tucson Meadows. Mostly full timers, but have a few sites in the back for transients.
rtcadman is offline   Reply With Quote