Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2003, 12:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 Journey DL I was wondering it a Trip Tek could be fitted afterwards

Jerry & Carol
2003 36' Journey DL
330 cat 6 Speed Allison
Vibe Toad

2003 36' Journey DL
jmccrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 12:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 Journey DL I was wondering it a Trip Tek could be fitted afterwards

Jerry & Carol
2003 36' Journey DL
330 cat 6 Speed Allison
Vibe Toad

2003 36' Journey DL
Old 12-28-2003, 02:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes, it can be fitted after market Jerry. But I'm curious as to why you would prefer TripTek?

The Silver Leaf Electronics VMS120 LC does soooo much more, and it costs about the same ($995.00) Besides trip parameters like Trip history, distance, fuel used, actual MPG, average speed, running time, miles to go, etc, it reads data stored in your Cat's engine computer. You can display (even scan you preference of data), gear selected vs gear attained, transmission mode, battery voltage, horsepower output, torque, rolling MPG, transmission temperature, turbo boost pressure, digital tach, power factor, full engine diagnostics, engine diag history, actual hours on engine since build date, and so much more, like pre-drive checklist, maintenance tracking, etc. and a programmable anti-theft locking system which will prevent someone from starting the engine even if they have the key. (It requires your chosen password to be entered before it will allow engine to start if you program this option).

For more information, e-mail me or go to www.simply-smarter.com for their website.

CaptBill
Indian River, De
2002 Horizon 36LD
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

CaptBill I was with you with the VMS120 until you got to the last item. Entering a password into your trip computer before your key will work is too tempting for Murphy and his laws.

Rich & Kathy Bock
2003 Itasca 33V w/Ford chassis
Ford Ranger toad
Shae Ling the wonder cat
Old 12-28-2003, 04:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Capt. Bill
Thanks a bunch I did not know it even existed. I have to admit I am a tech. junky so I will look into it

Jerry & Carol
2003 36' Journey DL
330 cat 6 Speed Allison
Vibe Toad

2003 36' Journey DL
Old 12-28-2003, 04:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Capt. Bill
I have gone to the web site and see some other units there. Have you used any of these? Who installs them? They look great just what I would be looking for.

Jerry & Carol
2003 36' Journey DL
330 cat 6 Speed Allison
Vibe Toad

2003 36' Journey DL
Old 12-28-2003, 05:53 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the questions. Rich, the password protected engine lock is strictly optional. It's there if you want to activate it, otherwise the engine starts with the key, just as always. All other fearures, and even more that I did not mention, are at your fingertips.

Jerry, you can buy the unit from any authorized dealer (including me), and the unit requires no technical expertise whatsoever to install. It simply plugs into the engine diagnostics connector under the driver's side dash. You will have a (7 or 12 pin) connector with a screw-on dust cap, located under the dash, probably on the firewall just above the floor, in front of the drivers left foot. The only other connections that you might want to make is a connection to the headlight switch. If you make that connection, then when you turn on the headlights, the VMS display will dim to your chosen preset brightness level. I didn't bother with that on the one I installed on my motorhome, because there is a variable dimmer control right on the front on the display. So I can adjust the brilliance any time to any level I like.

The only other thing you will do is either velcro the display box to the dash top or bottom, or install the bracket kit that comes with the unit, for a more secure installation. These units will work with Cat or Cummins.

CaptBill
Indian River, De
2002 Horizon 36LD
Indian River, De
Old 12-29-2003, 04:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes you can install a TripTek if you have the Sony/rear camera in your Journey. You can buy at www.triptek.net website. The RoadRelay4 sold by Cummins is another good choice at $900. You can read about RoadRelay4 at http://roadrelay.cummins.com
TripTek displays on your Sony monitor which is a selling point. The RoadRelay4 and the Silver Leaf products have a lot more capability.

Monte
smith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Capt. Bill

Jerry & Carol
2003 36' Journey DL
330 cat 6 Speed Allison
Vibe Toad

2003 36' Journey DL
Old 12-29-2003, 04:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Capt Bill
You have got me worried. I ordered a 200 today but it comes wwith a 6 or 9 pin .. I think

Jerry & Carol
2003 36' Journey DL
330 cat 6 Speed Allison
Vibe Toad

2003 36' Journey DL
Old 12-29-2003, 05:47 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Don't worry Jerry, you will get the correct connect. They don't use all the positions on the connector block, and there are only 2 connectors. Most applications will take the smaller one (the one you're getting), while Cummins use the 12 pin. Your dealer should have helped you make the right choice. You are sure to love the 200's larger display; that's the one I installed too. The 120 does all the same things, but has the smaller display. Enjoy your new toy!

CaptBill
Indian River, De
2002 Horizon 36LD
Indian River, De
Old 12-30-2003, 07:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Capt Bill
I went out last night to see if I could find the connector. There must 2000' of wire under that dash! I could not find the connector but..it was dark. Will it be in the wiring harness , on the firewall or mabey on the other side of the firewall

Jerry & Carol
2003 36' Journey DL
330 cat 6 Speed Allison
Vibe Toad

2003 36' Journey DL
Old 12-30-2003, 01:12 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Jerry, it's mounted to a bracket on the floor or the firewall, left of the steering wheel. Yea, I know about the mile of wires under there. You might have to cut some wire-ties to drop the nest of wires out of the way so you can see it.

CaptBill
Indian River, De
2002 Horizon 36LD
Indian River, De
Old 12-30-2003, 02:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

CaptBill
I'll find thanks. And.. I will let you know how it all goes. Like I said went out last night to see if I could see and of course the engine batterys were dead. I guess -20c will do that. I am looking for some kind of a trickel charger that will desulphate as well

Jerry & Carol
2003 36' Journey DL
330 cat 6 Speed Allison
Vibe Toad

2003 36' Journey DL
Old 01-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have a 03 horizon and I got a Trip tek Computer aftermarket for under $600.00. If you can hook up a car stereo, You can put the Trip tek in. The Motorhome has it all pre wired with the plugs wrapped up in the wiring loom. The tricky part is finding them. But they are back there. Try this phone #(800)442-7717 to get more info. I think they work great I use it all the time. Here is the web site. http://www.riverparkinc.com/

Good luck
Trevs push-her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I've been trying to locate the connector on my 2004 Meridian. It's got the 350 Cat and it came with the Freightliner Message Center. Is there still an available connector or does the message center use it?

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Paul, it is there but often murder to find. I had a problem and the Cat tech had to connect their equipment to get the diagnostic code. It took him a half hour and if he were my size he would have have been able to find it. They have now taped it in a way I can get to it. I mentioned this to Winnie and they said "thanks" since they needed the support to have that relocated. The Cat dealer showed me several trucks and it was right where it should be - easy to access. I've suggested to Winnie that it be placed in a spot where the tech and connect from the front without running all the wiring from the computer through the door. It could be just behind the breaker panel under the dash so we can get to it and so can they.

If anyone has a 2005 I'd like to know if they did make it easier to get to. A half hour at the tech's rates is silly - yet I watched him and he was not wasting time.

Now, I have to say this thread has got me interested. I bought a Palm as I was going to get the Pocket Tech from Cat. Now I'm saying why and have to look at these other products. Do they provide the diagnostic codes?

Don