Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Time to get out

We havent been out since November and we cant stand it. We have a couple of trips planned this year and with the current state of affairs I am not sure if those reservations will be held. This next weekend we are headed off to a ghost town on BLM just to get away. I think a nice dry camp away from everyone will be relaxing and just what me and wife need. Taking the Tacoma this trip so we have the off road capability to do some exploring on Saturday. My only concern are the conditions of the road we plan to take. The winnie has the off road package and I think this trip will help test its capabilities. Hope all are doing well during this pandemic and we will be happy to provide a trip report when I get back. We love the off the beaten path, no cell service camping.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not seeing where you might be looking at going but it appears to be a situation which is evolving daily and some lands are closing, so I might want to check on what expected closures will be in your area as some are closing with only a few days notice as the local situation changes.
General Blm closure notice/list:
https://www.blm.gov/tag/emergency-closure
Oregon:
https://ktvz.com/news/coronavirus/20...hn-day-rivers/
Colorado:
https://coloradosun.com/2020/03/26/c...rton-colorado/
With everybody asked to stay home, it would be a bummer to get there just as they closed.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the heads up, we are in northern Nevada. At least the location we plan to camp is less than 2 hours from home, worst case, we turn around and head home.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09busaman View Post
We havent been out since November and we cant stand it. We have a couple of trips planned this year and with the current state of affairs I am not sure if those reservations will be held. This next weekend we are headed off to a ghost town on BLM just to get away. I think a nice dry camp away from everyone will be relaxing and just what me and wife need. Taking the Tacoma this trip so we have the off road capability to do some exploring on Saturday. My only concern are the conditions of the road we plan to take. The winnie has the off road package and I think this trip will help test its capabilities. Hope all are doing well during this pandemic and we will be happy to provide a trip report when I get back. We love the off the beaten path, no cell service camping.

The current Nevada Stay at Home order was extended until at least April 30th and while it does allow for limited activity outdoors for recreation it does not really allow for an X hour drive to go on a camping trip.

The Governor of Nevada did voice his frustration on how some had not honored his "Request" that they stay at home and how they forced him to change it to an "Order". He did not rule out escalating to Police or National Guardsman enforcing the Order if too many are noted violating the order even though he would prefer that everyone just simply comply. While the order does allow for taking walks or going on hikes, the intent on containing COVID19 really does not extend to traveling across the State to go for a walk or hike while on a vacation camping trip.

Its best to be patient and wait until after April 30th and if the Stay at Home Order is not extended then see if the situation allows for taking a long drive to go on a camping vacation.

From the briefing notes where Governor Sisolak announced the April 30th extension of the Stay at Home Order for Nevada:

"As he closed the 35-minute briefing, Sisolak again made an impassioned plea for people to stay home"
Old 04-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We all would like to go on trips in our RVs. The responsible thing is to stay at home for your own and everybody else's safety.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

09busaman,
We travel 8000 miles a year on average.
Zero this year.
Go home.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We full time and dont have a sticks and bricks to go back to. We know lots of places not very far away that we would love to go to but we chose to be near family. The question we finally had to ask ourselves was How far would we want our children to have to travel in the middle of a Pandemic to come get us in an emergency?
Old 04-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Look this is just my opinion so do t take it to heart. But I say go for it! All we are doing by staying at home is making sure this lasts longer than it has to.

Now if you are worried about getting sick by all means stay home. But me personally I am going out and doing what ever I can.

I don’t see how a couple of people going camping in a ghost town is going to change any part of the covid-19 issue. Now I know I am new on here and I am going to catch a lot of flack for saying this, but no one gets off this ride alive. When your time comes it comes. I don’t think a little flu like symptoms are going to slow me down.

P.S please send me some info that sounds awesome!
Old 04-16-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1jag View Post
Look this is just my opinion so do t take it to heart. But I say go for it! I dont think a little flu like symptoms are going to slow me down.
Not sure why, when you live in an area that has so far avoided much of the virus, you'd want to pick up and go to other places that are up to 100x more effected then Columbia, TN?

Also, you may be willing to get very sick, be intubated in ICU and possibly die with the virus and that's OK. But what you don't know is whether or not you will inadvertently infect others on the road that have not agreed to be made sick by you. FYI, it's not all about you.

Lastly, the range of this virus is somewhere between flu-like and horrible ICU death on a machine. So, don't kid yourself that you will automatically get the easy way out. Or that the family member your actions infect will get an easy pass, either.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well since I have to travel for work and I am traveling as I am writing this I feel this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. Now looking at the numbers it does show that older people than myself are passing away from this at a much higher rate. But since a 85 year old with diabetes stage 4 cancer and has had 2 heart attacks in the last year passes away, and they find that that person had covid they report it as a corona death. I am not that worried.

Now things I can control is if I want to stay in my house and worry about something I may get. Or should I just go live my life and enjoy being alive for the time I have. Cowering in my house and waiting for the bad things to go away isn’t my style.

I also don’t want to promote people leaving there houses that are at a higher risk of death. So it looks like older folks should stay home.

America has a constitution that states we have freedom to move as we please. No stay at home order is going to infringe on that sorry. 11k deaths seems like a lot and it’s more than need to die. But in the grand scope of it all it’s a drop in the bucket.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
11k deaths seems like a lot and its more than need to die. But in the grand scope of it all its a drop in the bucket.
11k? The total US deaths at this moment stands at: 33,460. I guess you aren't paying attention. Close to 3000 are dying per day right now. Approx 35,000 new cases per day.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

This is often not a case of not knowing but more like the old mule that would not follow orders!
At least the mule had an excuse!
Maybe one of those $1000 tickets will get their attention because it is certain that logic will not!
Old 04-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

That was supposed to say 31k sorry I did not proof read my own message.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I can’t follow an order that states you can not leave your house. Now we are being told that we may not have even hit the peak of this yet. Of course we haven’t. If you slow the spread of it you won’t see the peak for a while. Which means this is going to drag out even longer. How long do you all feel we should stay indoors? Rumor is this may be another 18 months. The economy can’t handle that long
Old 04-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

There is also 54k that have recovered. So that’s almost double the amount of deaths.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Rumor is this may be another 18 months. The economy can’t handle that long
I do not listen to rumors, but to each his own.

For the good of myself, my family and my neighbors I can stay home and not take out my RV for a few months. I've got reservations at a National Forest Campground in Colorado for September. I feel pretty confident I'll be able to keep that reservation.

I think if you read reports of others that just took off and went out camping right now that it wasn't fun, easy or worth it. I read about a guy on IRV2.com that said he'd had enough staying home. His RV had engine trouble on day-2 and it took 3 days to find a shop open to work on it. As soon as it was fixed he headed back home and told others "don't go."
Old 04-16-2020, 05:51 PM   #17
Wheelcrazy

We are fortunate that most of us can follow suggestions and orders that are made to benefit our country and it’s citizens. There will always be people who refuse to listen, think, or follow instructions. Hopefully they will remain a very small minority so the damage and chaos caused by them can be held to a minimum.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Well let me clear up one thing. I am not traveling for pleasure. I am essential personal. I work all over on different military bases. I do hope y’all stay safe and healthy.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

The “Stay at Home” order is the government saying say away from others to slow the spread of the Covid.

I don’t see the difference from staying in your house, to staying in the middle of Nowhere,
your accomplishing the same thing.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for all of the comments guys and I know you say what was said because you care. I am also an essential worker and get up every morning at 0430 and go to work. I am out in public all day every day. If the state was locked down and I had to work from home, then it might be a different story. The only places I go other than work are to the grocery store and gas station. So, with that said, if I want to hook on to my Winnie and head out in the middle of the desert with no one else around to dry camp with my wife, then guess what I am going to do, go camping. One thing I never want to do is look back on my life and say " I wish". I could catch the virus at work regardless of what I do at home.