Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Texas Gulf recommendations

Planning a March trip from MI to TX and would like to stay a few nights along the gulf coast. I’ve done some research and haven’t found any campgrounds that looked good or had any decent space between sites. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Team

The Texas Gulf is pretty big - where on the Gulf are you thinking about?

There's the section near Louisiana in the Port Arthur area. Then the Houston/Galveston area. There is also the Rockport/Port Aransas/Mustang Island section and then way down there near Mexico in the RGV - Rio Grande Valley.

So, give us more info about your plans and desires and we'll all try to help you.

March is "Rolling Spring Break" in Texas with colleges all over the state and nearby states flocking to the gulf in droves over a 6 week period. It starts around the middle of the month and goes into April. The official start of spring around the 21st is PEAK with a capital P.

We live north of San Antonio and many of us around this part of Texas head to Rockport or Port Aransas. There's a state park in Rockport called Goose Island SP. It offers camping "on the beach" but it's really just on the sand overlooking a big Bay. There is electric and water at the sites with concrete picnic shelters. But it's not super roomy. There is a section of that state park that away from the water and in a woodsy section. We try to avoid that area.

On Port Aransas (Port A) there are a number of camping choices from small in town RV lots, to large RV parks and even Private owner RV Resorts where you can buy a lot or rent from owners that are away. (This is where we stay and we love it.) Port A is an island of sorts you can take a free ferry to get there or drive over a large high level bridge from Corpus Christi. We love the ferry but usually take the bridge because there's usually a long wait at the ferry.

There is a State park called Mustang Island SP and even a federal breach that offer kind of beach/kind of parking lot dry camping spots. In Port A there is a true on the beach camping rv park called "On The Beach". And since the beach is driveable you'll find beach "boondocking" if you drive far enough down the beach (don't get stuck).

In the Houston area there is a State Park on Galveston Island. It was destroyed a number of years ago and rebuilt, but I haven't stayed since it was rebuilt. It was more a parking lot on the beach front kind of camping.

Down in the RVG it's Winter Texan HQs. Thousand flock from Canada and all over the northern states to park in the warm weather in dozens of parks large and small. Plus it's just a short drive to Mexico.

That's the overview. Give us more info and I'll do my best to help.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I live in Texas City, 14 miles from Galveston. We are the first city after coming across the causeway.

If you are looking to stay in this area do some Google Searching on the RV Parks locations then use the satellite view to see if the spaces in-between are wide enough for you. You can use the measure feature on google with a "right" click. An example: Stella Mare sites are 14 ft wide at their narrowest, and 18 ft wide at their widest, 80 ft long. The grassy area is 10 ft wide at the widest, and 6 ft at the narrowest.

There are some that are further out the Blue Water Hwy like Jamaica Beach, or San Luis Pass area but far for me from my wife's Walmart but still nice parks.

If you see a park you are interested in, let me know and I'll either have checked it out or will check it out for you.

The Galveston State Park ocean side is closed for remodeling. The Bay Side is open for camping. No Sewer. Dump station available.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Wow, thanks for all the information - much appreciated!! Good to know that spring break is March, I was thinking it would be closer to April. We can adjust our schedule and locations to avoid it if possible. Rockport / Aransas looks interesting, if we can get in ahead of the spring breakers. We aren't really sitting on the beach people, but more into riding paved bike trails (25-30 miles a day) and day hikes.

We plan to be in Texas for 4-5 weeks. One of the stops was the San Antonio area. What side of town would you recommend for best access to town and river walk? While I'm at it, suggestions of something in the Hill Country? I've seen Fredricksburg mentioned a few times. Lastly, we plan to make Palo Duro the final stop for some hiking before heading back to MI at the end of March.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #5
Site Team

No paved bike path's in the gulf around Rockport/Port A that I'm aware of. San Antonio on the other hand has 80+ miles of paved "greenway" bike trails. The goal eventually will be to circle the city but now it's broken up into segments.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0...-24-162929-610

As far as where to park the RV there are not a lot of choices. The KOA which is south of town is probably the most popular and folks like it. I think there are a couple others in the same area. It is NOT a great area on it's own.

Far West of SA is a small town called Castroville which was settled by Alsatian french in the 1800's (most of this part of Texas was settled by German immigrants, not to forget the indigenous and Mexican populations, of course). There is a great RV park there called the Alsatian RV Resort. Alsatian RV Resort – San Antonio RV Park 830-931-9190.

Other nearby RV parks are north of the city on the edge of the hill country. There are two or three near where I live but they are really full of permanent residents. I guess they have a few transient spots. Look around Bulverde, Spring Branch and Canyon Lake. These are all about 20+ miles from the edge of the city.

Fredericksburg is great and the RV parks near there are OK. But you'll find Kerrville to have better RV choices. The best is Buckhorn Lake RV Resort. A second choice that's closer to SA is Old River Road RV Resort in Center Point, TX. https://www.oldriverroadrvresort.com/ keep in mind Kerrville is 60 miles northwest of San Antonio and just south of Fredericksburg by 27 miles or so.

This part of TX has plenty of nice State Parks AND a lot of Army Corp of Engineers RV parks too. So, be sure to check those out. The COA parks can be real gems.

Palo Duro is fantastic, but don't miss Caprock Canyon State Park on your way there it's equally great (I like it better) and only 90 miles apart.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Traveler's World is a good place to camp in San Antonio...it is on the river trail. (About a 3 mile ride to the downtown riverwalk area). This is a very nice little park, meticulously maintained with a small pool and small dog park. The trail in the other direction takes you to the Missions National Monument area. Good shopping nearby. The park backs up to a golf course and is quiet , not located on a busy highway but very close to shopping. Come in from the South (not the North) if you visit.

https://www.sunrvresorts.com/resorts...avelers-world/

(Will be camping here for 4 nights in Nov - my 3rd or 4th visit to the area).

You have to walk your bikes in the downtown area of the river trail (no biking beyond a certain point. I usually lock them up and walk).
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
Site Team

I should add that since we live 17 miles north of SA there is no real opportunity to stay in any of the RV Parks around here.

Also, since Traveler's World is a part of Sun RV Resorts I tend to avoid those parks. They seem to be catering to Park Model RVers at their other locations that I've seen and it seems whenever I look at their website that's all I see in the photos.

I have a preference for RV Parks that cater to other RVers like me: traveling from place to place in their RV and staying a day, a week or a few weeks. When a park is predominantly permanent residents, work campers and Park Model/Cabin visitors I generally avoid those as they have a different vibe.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

What may be missing is the obvious question of what YOU like in an RV park!

With a wide range of likes/dislikes, we need to know what you feel makes an good park?
I personally do not go for the type of parks many here like!
We do not want to be crowded, nor do we like to be without what we call the "nice" things like water and electricity, so we often fall in between the parkinglot folks and the boonies!

That makes the Corp park first in line with state and federal after and if we are truly pressed, then we might go to commercal parks but not for long!

Goose island is okay but not on the beach section where you are wall to wall but back in the woods, where there may be 20 feet of realy think brush between you and the next one. Not too good for noise as it winds up next to the obat ramps and a neighborhood where there is a lot of really, really loud boat traffic but okay for a few nights as we wanted to see the birds. If the right time of year, you may catch the whooping crane and sand hill crane migration as they do stay there for a bit.
Not necessarily in the park but around the area and if you drive the shore road to the "big tree", you are likely to find them in the fields---if the right time!
We hear them and can sometimes spot them as they pass over our house but we wanted way closer!

Choke canyon is a bit South of SA and can be nice and quiet with good sites if that is your style.

Tyler state park is nice if coming intot he state on the NE corner?

But then , what do you like?

This is just what WE like for camping! Nobody in sight! Water and electricity and the holding tanks will last for three days and that fits us most occasions as we prefer our neighbors on four legs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	181093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2595.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	181094  

Name:	IMG_2596.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	181095  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

At one point, we felt the state park at Galveston was top of the list but we no longer go there as the parts we liked are now gone!
I was once called an "activist" for mention of the changes we see in our shorelines but I'll risk it any wya as pictures are hard to argue with when it is posted on Google maps for all of us to look and see what we think?

We never liked the shore side of the park as we do not like the constant wind from the water, so we always went to the north shore campgrounds and we
liked the trails but if you take an honest look at what water is doing to the campgrounds and trails, you can decide if it is a place for you to like?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Galveston 1 copy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	181096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galveston 2 copy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	181097  

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

We were just down there a few weeks ago driving around. No water on the roads or in the CG on bay side. If a storm is brewing then the water level will definitely rise and possibly flood some areas.

Shore side is under construction and not open.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

PICK ONE then go to campground reviews or ask on here about that park.

Or HERE Rio Guadalupe is nice. Follow the River Road (nice drive) for other parks but come up from the south to get to them.

Move the map around and search the area you are interested in...for any location.