Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2023, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Summer trip to CO

Hi all. We are attempting to plan a trip to the Breckenridge, CO area this July. We hope to drive out from VA and stay about 10 days to visit our son before heading back east. I tried to reserve a camping spot at one of several NF campgrounds that surround Lake Dillon (our first choice is Heaton Bay/White River NF), but found every campsite is booked every weekend for as far out as the reservation window allows (currently ~Sept. 18). I even tried Tiger Run Resort and found the same issue. What gives? Other than reserving a year in advance (which we can't because of the booking window limitations), is there some strategy to snagging a campsite for 10 days straight? Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!
Jane n Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Besides checking back regularly for any cancellations, you might try some of the alternatives like

HipCamp
https://www.hipcamp.com/en-US

Free Campsites
https://freecampsites.net/

Harvest Hosts (unlikely you'll be able to stay 10 days consecutive, but you could move around to different farms/vineyards)
https://harvesthosts.com/

Boondockers Welcome (same caveat as Harvest Hosts)
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

Join them, most are free, and see what's available near your preferred locations. These are the ones I know of, there may be others.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Besides checking back regularly for any cancellations, you might try some of the alternatives like

HipCamp
https://www.hipcamp.com/en-US

Free Campsites
https://freecampsites.net/

Harvest Hosts (unlikely you'll be able to stay 10 days consecutive, but you could move around to different farms/vineyards)
https://harvesthosts.com/

Boondockers Welcome (same caveat as Harvest Hosts)
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

Join them, most are free, and see what's available near your preferred locations. These are the ones I know of, there may be others.
Thanks for the ideas. We do belong to HH and I checked, but there is nothing nearby. I will take a look at Free Campsites and HipCamp and see what I can find. Keeping our fingers crossed that something comes up!
Old 03-18-2023, 04:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Boondockers welcome is similar to HH. Leave a gift/cash/whatever to camp on someone's private property. Sometimes, in their driveway. Some have hookups, usually electric, which might help in July.

There's also a website that tracks cancellations at campgrounds, but I can't recall what kind of campgrounds they can monitor for openings.
https://campnab.com/
I believe they have to charge you to join, but I don't think it's very much. Might be worth a look.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My sons both live outside of Denver, we used to be able to book a state park site with no problem now its amost impossible. We ended up booking with private parks and found the frustration level a lot less. If you are really tied to state or federal parks just keep trying. You might find opening your arrival window more will help, then (I think) later change the date I beleive thats what alot of folks do. Other than that go private and enjoy your stay
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
My sons both live outside of Denver, we used to be able to book a state park site with no problem now its amost impossible. We ended up booking with private parks and found the frustration level a lot less. If you are really tied to state or federal parks just keep trying. You might find opening your arrival window more will help, then (I think) later change the date I beleive thats what alot of folks do. Other than that go private and enjoy your stay
Thanks for your suggestion - I did try the only private park near Breckenridge (Tiger Run) and they are fully booked for any of the dates we wanted. I did manage to snag a site at one Lowry Campground, but we will have to move over the weekend and then return. I have no idea where we will go for the weekend, but I'm not especially worried about that now that I got a site. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-22-2023, 04:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Does your son live in the Breckenridge-Frisco area or is Summit County just where you want to stay? If you can stay at HH, you must feel comfortable dry camping. There are a number of places you can dry camp in that general area, but some may be a 1/2-hour drive away. My suggestion for the time after your reservation would be Williams Fork Reservoir south of US 40 near Parshall. This completely free Denver Water Board lake has designated dry campsites, pit toilets, and a dump. It is open, so solar works well, but generators are allowed. If you want more info, see my Colorado Rockies RV camping blog at https://2fanrgs.blogspot.com.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane n Les View Post
Thanks for your suggestion - I did try the only private park near Breckenridge (Tiger Run) and they are fully booked for any of the dates we wanted. I did manage to snag a site at one Lowry Campground, but we will have to move over the weekend and then return. I have no idea where we will go for the weekend, but I'm not especially worried about that now that I got a site. Thanks for your help!
Lowry is a nice spot. Don't give that up. If you just need to go someplace for the weekend, check Kremmling or Granby. Kremmling has a basic RV park and Granbe has a really nice RV Resort.
There also might be something over Hoosier Pass in Fairplay. That is a white knuckle drive in an RV that you should probably do so you can cross it off your bucket list!
egourley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Typically the shoulder seasons are a bit easier in Colorado and Utah. The Western Slope of Colorado and parts of Utah have more availability, but that doesn't help you wanting to be near Denver.

Some of the smaller mom and pop RV Parks in the middle of Colorado might be worth checking out.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:27 AM   #10
Site Team

Try this website called Wandering Labs www.wanderinglabs.com.

You set up a scan for as many campgrounds as you want and they check for availability from cancellations and notify you the minute one opens. It doesn’t make the reservation for you, you still have to do that.

It’s free to use but limited unless you spend $35 for a one year membership. With the membership you can setup all the scans you want and they will check for cancellations much more frequently. I find it worth the membership cost because I’ve always been able to get the site I wanted when everything’s filled up. Really a great tool.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by egourley View Post
Lowry is a nice spot. Don't give that up. If you just need to go someplace for the weekend, check Kremmling or Granby. Kremmling has a basic RV park and Granbe has a really nice RV Resort.
There also might be something over Hoosier Pass in Fairplay. That is a white knuckle drive in an RV that you should probably do so you can cross it off your bucket list!
Oh, we won't give up Lowry for anything! I actually managed to snag another campsite at Lowry for the weekend, so we will have to move, but not have to leave the campground. As for taking an RV over Hoosier, I'm not sure I am ready for that! I have ridden my bike over it several times, and have driven over it, but never in an RV!
Old 03-29-2023, 10:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanrgs View Post
Does your son live in the Breckenridge-Frisco area or is Summit County just where you want to stay? If you can stay at HH, you must feel comfortable dry camping. There are a number of places you can dry camp in that general area, but some may be a 1/2-hour drive away. My suggestion for the time after your reservation would be Williams Fork Reservoir south of US 40 near Parshall. This completely free Denver Water Board lake has designated dry campsites, pit toilets, and a dump. It is open, so solar works well, but generators are allowed. If you want more info, see my Colorado Rockies RV camping blog at https://2fanrgs.blogspot.com.
My son lives in Breckenridge. He has been there for 22 years now so I am familiar with the area, just not the camping spots (except the ones around Lake Dillon and Tiger Run). We did manage to get a spot at Lowry Campground and will be there for our stay. Thanks for your suggestions, and I will definitely take a look at your blog.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Try this website called Wandering Labs www.wanderinglabs.com.

You set up a scan for as many campgrounds as you want and they check for availability from cancellations and notify you the minute one opens. It doesn’t make the reservation for you, you still have to do that.

It’s free to use but limited unless you spend $35 for a one year membership. With the membership you can setup all the scans you want and they will check for cancellations much more frequently. I find it worth the membership cost because I’ve always been able to get the site I wanted when everything’s filled up. Really a great tool.
Wow, I have never heard of Wandering Labs. I am definitely going to bookmark that one for future use!