Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2022, 02:03 PM   #1
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Suggestions for Eastern Canada

Traveling to a 375th anniversary in Quebec City of my ancestor's arrival in New France in 1645. I know that was 377 years ago but that's the Covid for you! I could use some planning help and stopover suggestion from anyone who has RV'd up there before.

I think I have the border protocols down but traveling with TT might complicate a few things. I have an in-law who may have been a bit too casual with their explanation of their plans in Canada and so they were sent to the sidelines while the Border Agents went bumper to bumper through their RV. So, I intend to have a printed calendar style itinerary for them to avoid any doubts about are plans. I will also have my ArriveCAN app together as well. I plan to hold up overnight in Champlain NY and to cross in the morning to have time to makeup for any possible delays at the border and still make Quebec City that afternoon.

Starting from a birthday visit with my grandson in Philadelphia We'll head to Cooperstown for a night. Then on to Fort Ticonderoga for a day visit and then to on to Champlain

After 4-5 nights in the Quebec City my plan was to travel up the St Lawrence to Gaspe via the costal route the whole way, taking 3 days to get there via Rt132.

Next on to for an overnight in Campbellton

On to PE for 3 nights

On to upper Nova Scotia for 3 nights, maybe a night or two in Halifax.
This is an avoid cities trip so someone would have to convince me why I
would need to see Halifax. Thinking of 3rd night hoteling it in Hawkesbury NS

2 days on the road, overnighting somewhere before we get to St Andrews for a night.

From there it will be the Border again then on to Bar Harbor / Acadia for 3-4 nights

Then on to Rockport where we are already reserved at Megunticook for 3 nights

On to Dolly Copp Campground for a night to do the drive to the top of Mt Washington. Got to experience that wind one more time.

Then back through Philly for another visit before returning to VA for the Fall.

So, there is still plenty of flexibility in this plan and even a day or two of flex days. Other than the very beginning and the very end nothing is cast in stone. If any one has any suggestions / recommendations on must see places and where to stay I'm all ears

Trip dates starting with Quebec City are 25 August and arriving Rockport ME is 12 September everything in between is completely open. let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks PAT
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Pat. Being from the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia, I could recommend numerous locations for overnight or multi-night camping. What are you looking for in a campground? We have stayed at most in Nova Scotia, some better than others. We have a few favourites ( Canadian spelling, lol), such as Woodhaven outside of Halifax, Two Rivers Wildlife Park In Huntington, Cape Breton Island, any of the Nova Scotia Provincial Campgrounds (difficult to get into, reservations usually all booked up in April), KOA Halifax, Belle Baie Park, and Lake Breeze both on the Acadian French Shore.
Hope this helped and not confused, and if you need more info, just reach out!
Toby
RobertToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Oh, how could I forget -- Old Shipyard Beach Campground, close to Parrsboro On a little causeway, no site is further than 50 feet from the ocean when the tide is in.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Pat,

We are in the midst of a very similar trip to yours, although a bit longer. We have been to the Gaspé peninsula, Campbelleton, PEI, Cape Breton. We are currently outside of Halifax and will soon travel to Bay of Fundy area of New Brunswick. Some comments on your post:

We had no problem crossing the border. We had our ArriveCAN apps filled out. We gave them our first stop and told them we would be traveling for several weeks. We crossed at a very sleepy crossing in Maine and they went through the RV thoroughly. They were very friendly and professional. Just make sure you don’t bring any poultry products, including eggs. Guns are also not welcome in Canada.

We loved the Gaspé peninsula. Very remote with incredible views. We stayed in Mont Louis at Parc et Mer and in Percé at Nature Ocean Chalets. Both were great. Percé is a tourist town for Québécois. It was a great stop.

In Campbelleton we stayed at Campbelleton RV. Good stop by the river. Nice town.

Does PE mean PEI? We stayed in New Glasgow Highlands. Not the best stop as our site was a bit cramped and everyone seemed to light campfires every night. Too much smoke. We love the island, though. This was our fourth trip there.

We stayed in Cape Breton at the Bras D’or Lakes campground in Baddeck. It’s on the Cabot Trail and a great spot. We could have easily been there for a week.

Halifax is an interesting city in a beautiful part of the world. If you have the time, tour the wharf area. Or you can skip it and focus on the other wonderful parts of the Maritimes. We are staying at Woodhaven. It’s a decent campground off a very busy road near Halifax.

We have been to the Bay of Fundy area and St. Andrews on previous trips. Hopewell Rocks is fascinating; Fundy Park is great, St. John is a cute town and St. Andrews is nice. Make sure you get to see the tidal shifts. 30+ feet!

We are also staying at Megunticook! We will be there starting in a couple of weeks for 6 nights.

The only other comment I have is that there is so much to do in Atlantic Canada. We are spending 8 weeks and we feel it’s too short. Enjoy it, and plan to come back!
Old 08-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Eastern Canada

First, sounds like a great trip.

Second, the posts above are also very helpful.

Quebec City is very European by design. (We have a condo and summer here every year.) Not sure what you are driving or pulling, but I would hesitate to drive our little 25 foot Winne Navion downtown due to the narrow streets and lack of parking. Quebec City is the only walled city in North America. You may want to visit the Plains of Abraham and the "Old Port" district. The Chateau Frontenac is a stunning hotel overlooking the St. Lawrence River. Again, take care due to narrow streets in the Old Port. Unfortunately, Quebec City is experiencing heavy road construction right now and can be difficult to navigate. You are not likely to have a language problem here as most folks understand a few words of English and are most helpful. Even the Police are mostly bi-lingual and anxious to help visitors.

The Gaspe area can be stunning. Take 20 East from Quebec City towards Gaspe and see St. Jean Port Joli, a small town on the south side of the St. Lawrence which is famous for its wood carvings and other crafts. IF it fits your schedule, you may wish to have dinner at the La Boustifaille restaurant in St. Jean Port Joli for VERY authentic and excellent original Canadian food.
Highway 20 will generally follow the St. Lawrence River and you can visit a light house or two. Years ago, some folks were baking bread in ovens located on the side of the road. The bread was exceptional (sorta like sponge cake but not sweet) and we would buy a loaf followed by some cheese and wine from a store nearby. Not sure about that today.

The North side of the St. Lawrence is also very interesting. And there are ferries that cross the river in a couple of locations.

Not sure of your timing, but note whales enter the St. Lawrence in the early fall and whale watching is common in the area you will be traversing. Even the big Blue Whales swim here.

Hope you have a very pleasant trip.

cthiiggy
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada