Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

St. Augustine to SoCal

Leaving home state of NC bound for Anastasia SP in St. Augustine FL in Mid-Feb. Then we’re headed to SoCal to visit grandkids. We really don’t like interstates, and I can only drive 300 mi/day. Time not an issue. Any off I-10 route suggestions for must sees, scenic drives, campgrounds (military ok). Want to avoid snow.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I might not want to put too much thought into going West of Mobile on I 10 without doing some really close checkso n the road condition due to the number of recent hurricanes in the area. The last time we went that way was 6 months back and they were rebuilding in so many areas that we chose to come back on roads further North to avoid the trauma of driving those narrow "tunnels" between concrete road barriers! With several recent ones in a row, I suspect ten is going to take a long time to recover as the water is creeping closer and that means when they rebuild they are often raising the road surface to better stand the next time and that takes a whole lot more effort and much more time! I would think Biloxi to Houston might be a war zone for a long time!

A very nice place to stay if they are open as an option but I would highly recommend reservations:
https://www.alapark.com/parks/meaher-state-park

This picture is of 10 crossing Mobile Bay from the state park, so you can see it doesn't take much storm surge to overrun the highway and the park?

It may be fine but worth doing a double check before starting the trip?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4188.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	180847  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Leaving home state of NC bound for Anastasia SP in St. Augustine FL in Mid-Feb. Then we’re headed to SoCal to visit grandkids. We really don’t like interstates, and I can only drive 300 mi/day. Time not an issue. Any off I-10 route suggestions for must sees, scenic drives, campgrounds (military ok). Want to avoid snow.

Thanks!
I'll be at Anastasia in December for a week as part of my Florida perimeter adventure. Looks pretty nice!

One place I regret not detouring to on my last road trip is White Sands NP. It's like snow without the cold.

Traveling in Feb can be treacherous, especially going thru TX with potential ice storms (been thru 2 of them). Safe travels Jim!
Old 09-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

For the guy that might like military history and or flying, this?
https://pimaair.org/

Mining history? Los Cruces, NM and El Paso can be interesting??

Much depends on what's you've seen and what you've seen "enough" of!
About five hundred miles of West Texas and it all begins to look the same! By the time we get to Arizona, about all we want to see is the end of the trip!

We've sold the RV and never doing that trip again!
Old 09-26-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
PIC
Winnebago Owner

I can't fricken believe I just wrote you an extensive Part 1 reply. I was signed in because I was surprised that I remembered my password. When I proof it and hit send it made me sign in again. Somewhere in the process my reply got lost. Anyway if you like, we have done the Southern route 3 times, so I can provide you with a ton of info and ideas. I tend to agree with previous guy on TX but it was a huge mistake to quit after TX. That where it really gets awesome. Let me know if you want the suggestions.
PAT
Proud Father of a battle harden 2nd Recon / MSOB Marine. SemperFi and God Bless our Marines
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #6
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Haha. BTW, We made our journeys in a Micro Minnie 2106 FBS which id what we are in for the summer/Fall in Chincoteague Island VA. It's been a great TT. Towes great. You won't even know it's back there
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Feb 1st, 2022 we'll be leaving Phoenix in route to Winston-Salem. So I'd be interested in your trip info!! We are in a 38 foot class A and normally go from pedestal to pedestal.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Can't advise you on the trip west but get the trolley pass and they will pick you up at your site and drive you all around St Augustine for days with no worry about parking a large vehicle in town.

We usually take a site off the loop with the dump station and trash dumpster to be closest to the beach there plus its a short distance to haul a honey wagon to the dump station without being too close to it.

Check out the Otto Liehtner Museum for sure while your there and the Spanish Bakery while small, hidden in the back and out doors has excellent empanadas but the last time I was there they still were not taking anything but cash.

Spanish Bakery & Cafe in St Augustine, Fl

https://lightnermuseum.org/about/
Old 09-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesaz View Post
Feb 1st, 2022 we'll be leaving Phoenix in route to Winston-Salem. So I'd be interested in your trip info!! We are in a 38 foot class A and normally go from pedestal to pedestal.
We don’t check out of Anastasia until Feb 11th. You’ll probably be NC by then, but we’ll post the good stuff.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Can't advise you on the trip west but get the trolley pass and they will pick you up at your site and drive you all around St Augustine for days with no worry about parking a large vehicle in town.

We usually take a site off the loop with the dump station and trash dumpster to be closest to the beach there plus its a short distance to haul a honey wagon to the dump station without being too close to it.

Check out the Otto Liehtner Museum for sure while your there and the Spanish Bakery while small, hidden in the back and out doors has excellent empanadas but the last time I was there they still were not taking anything but cash.

Spanish Bakery & Cafe in St Augustine, Fl

https://lightnermuseum.org/about/
We’ve been to St. Augustine four times in the last two years. Love that place. This will be the first time we’ve been able to score a site at Anastasia SP. Agree that Lightner not to be missed, but didn’t know about Spanish Cafe. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We’ve done this trip eight times over the past eight years, and are about to do it again in January. From Eastern Virginia, we hug the coast down through Georgia, and then across the Florida panhandle. We limit our days to 150 miles, starting at about 11:00AM, and never drive in the dark. Our typical stay is 3-4 days, though this trip will have some 7 day stays. There are so many wonderful campgrounds in the south, with Corps of Engineers being our favorite. State and federal parks are also preferred, with Good Sams and the like being a very last choice. Get a Texas Parks pass, because you will be in that state for longer than you wish to be. The camping discounts will pay for it. Southern New Mexico has a few gems, but keep in mind that after Texas, it is mostly dry, desert country. Many beautiful desert places to camp, as well as BLM lands for dispersed camping. Watch the weather, try to avoid get-there-itis. If you have a Jeep for a toad, you will be able to make use of the many off-roading opportunities.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

No, we will take 2 months to get to N.C. Might explore some of the free campgrounds in the panhandle. Lived in Texas for many years. We'll speed through Texas this year. Thinking of taking I-20 to Atlanta area.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

For those who want to burn some time and avoid some of the worst traffic but willing to accept going slower and seeing some of the "real" country, not just the glitter, I find getting a couple hundred miles off I10 is good for us. We avoid Houston when we can!

Going west on ten after hurricanes is just a bummer for our spirit as the damage is so slow to recover after the big ones and right now they have been hammered several times, leaving so much that we just don't want to see. Technically is may be back in operation but there are still lots of piles of people's life stacked out at the raodside!

If one can get to Mobile and willing, going North on 98 to Natchez, Alexandria and into Texas at Jasper, Tx is a good place to see some history and do nice lakes, rather than Houston and traffic! Jasper, Huntsville, Tx into College Station with a jog North to Hearne if you are interested in WWII history to see a prisoner of war camp? Route 79 and then take 290 West out of Austin takes you through A nice little place for history and the Nimitz museum at Fredericksburg before heading out on I10 again?

And then if you are a country music person, who would want to miss a trip to Luchenbach with Willy and the boys? Not much there but Willy was inspired by it????

Sometimes we have to go there just to say we been there!
Old 09-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks a bunch Morich.
Should we avoid I-10 thru Nor-lens and Baton Rouge?
We wanna pinch some tails and suck some heads.
I’m a big ZZ Top fan. Should we visit La Grange?
I like Austin. Are roads ok there?
Old 09-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Thanks a bunch Morich.
Should we avoid I-10 thru Nor-lens and Baton Rouge?
We wanna pinch some tails and suck some heads.
I’m a big ZZ Top fan. Should we visit La Grange?
I like Austin. Are roads ok there?
A lot of what we like has no real reason, we just like it! And that makes what we want to see a lot different for different people. I grew up playing with crawdads and still have never tasted one as they are just bugs in my mind!
I might think Mobile or most any spot convenient to be good for your style of food and if looking for a good campsite, the state park just across the bay is great with a short visit to the Battleship park and museum maybe a good one?
A couple hours of wandering and reading the signs is about all my mind is good for any more but that one is a good place with a pretty wide variety of equipment on display. Headbanging in a sub to open deck of the battleship?
How the highways will be is yet unknown as it takes a lot of planning to get things moving and then whether it is fixed or just tons of road work is something to check at the time as six months can change that a whole bunch.

No knowledge of LaGrange but I favor Brenham as they make Blue Bell ice cream there! Route 290 is a heavy traffic one as it is the main drag from Austin to Houston and can be a kill zone!

Austin roads are okay with no problems for RV other than crowds. One to avoid might be I-35 through the middle as Austin is about the only town bigger than a flea speck that DOES NOT have a worthwhile bypass! The highway goes around LaGrange but through Austin! There is a toll road around but it goes so far out and costs so much that we never use it. Speed limits on it are scary, too! In the Rv we are more often closer to 60 than 80!