Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Site Team

South TX to WBGO in Forest City

We've got an appointment in Forest City and the WBGO factory to get a few things fixed at the end of April. From there we'll go visit family in Ohio and Washington DC and then back home. 4,000 mile round trip and take about 45 days all in.

I'm working on the first leg from San Antonio to Forest City. We keep it between 250 and 300 miles a day. I've worked out a route but it's so boring. Is there any place nice, fun, or interesting on a route from South Texas to Forest City? All I see is Dallas, Joplin, MO, Kansas City, MO and or the places around there.

What am I missing? Or is it just going to be that kind of trip from here... to there.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
ok city bombing memorial; cowboy HOF in ok city, pony express museum near KC. alter your route to see dodge city, strategic air command museum in omaha.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We drive that route almost every Winter. Just got back from Dickenson, Tx. actually. OKC is a great place. Yep, Cowboy Hall of Fame is great. It's not what you might think but is a very good art and object museum. Excellent. Worth a day at least. I believe it is the 45th Infantry Division that has a museum you will see just east of I35. Really well done as well.
We always stay at Twin Fountains RV Resort which is nearby I35.

Kansas City has great BBQ and many other attractions. We like to drive the Kansas State Turnpike from OKC to Kansas City. Nice scenery.

In Forest City take the Factory Tour. We've done it twice and are amazed every time.

After Forest City, Unless you want to go through Chicago, I would drop back down to I70 and go east on that. Goes through Indianapolis and the traffic is much less.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Site Team

Thanks so much both of you. Very helpful and much appreciated.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Living The Dream

A great place to go while in Kansas City is The Steamboat Arabia Museum.

Gives you a really good glimpse into the lives of regular folks back in the pioneer days ... the story of how it all was rescued from the mud and muck so many years later is incredibly interesting, too. A real labor of love!

A Historic Kansas City Attraction &laquo The Arabia Steamboat Museum - A Historic Kansas City Attraction Arabia Steamboat Museum – Kansas City

Oh, and the BBQ in Kansas City is the BEST !!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Kansas city has the WWI museum and next to that is the old union station. The jazz district is over on 7th and vine. There is the Truman library near by.
Matterbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
Site Team

We've got our trip all planned out - and we've actually booked reservations for every stop. Including the OKC suggested campground. We actually added a day to spend time in OKC on this trip.

We've been finding more and more CGs are sold out, especially the good ones. We hate to have to plan so completely what should be a stop where you see something interesting kind of trip. But RVs on the road are really getting common.

I have a friend that's an entrepreneur and he says the best way to make money with RVs is to buy a large cheap plot of land, pave it over, put up a fence and sell RV Storage. But I'm sure plenty of investors are looking at RV Park development now too. We've booked ourselves into a couple of "resort" type parks on this trip and they cost $70 to $85 a day.