Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Should A/C work going down the road?

Have a 2011 Vista. Generator/A-C won't run when going down the road.
I have asked the co pilot to go to the back and turn on the generator and then the A/C but she refuses (won't drive so I can check). She says the system is not supposed to do that, I say the system should be working. Who's right?
If it's me, any thoughts as to why the system shuts off? works great when engine is not on.
Jim
jim1eddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

You are right. We run ours all the time like that. Don't know why yours is shutting off. Do you keep fuel above 1/4 tank.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Jim...where is the genset located? Under driver seat behind left front wheel? If so, could it be an overheating issue? Ask me why I pose that question.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not only should it work, it may improve your mileage if you turn it on and turn the dash air off.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #5

RV-------Mobile self contained vehicle

YES generator should start/run and provide AC Power to operate any AC equipment
such as A/C Unit, Microwave, Fridge on AC etc.

Along with the 12V DC stuff.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On my current unit, the AC would seem to operate while going down the highway but would not cool reliably. What I thought was an AC issue was finally solved when Winnebago replace the ATS with a new style ATS. What was apparently happening was the ATS would momentarily drop out over bumps and then the compressor(s) would enter their time delay mode for re-energizing and this apparently happened so frequently that there was no cooling from the roof top AC's.
New style ATS resolved the problem.

Safe Travels,
David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have started the genset and AC and driven down the road that way to exercise the genset before with no issues. Normally don't do it as my dash AC is strong enough to keep the entire RV at a comfortable temperature when traveling.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

jim1eddoc, First the obvious, your coach does not have a ATC(Automatic Transfer switch) so when you unplug the power cord from the camp ground power pedestal you must plug it into the generator power cord rcp next to the power cord box.
Now if you are doing that check the generator start switch lights when the generator stops. They will flash a code that will indicate the cause of the generator stopping.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

So in this scenario:

Parked, no shorepower.
Start the generator.
Turn on the AC.
Start the engine.
Drive.

The AC stops when you start the engine? Start driving? Right away? After some time? Does just the AC stop? Or the generator?

The systems (generator - driving) should be independent. Something does seem wrong...

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Waiting for answers to above questions.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The generator and AC should continue to operate while driving down the road. If Onan gas generator a common problem that causes the generator to cut off when moving is the low oil sensor in the generator. The oil level needs to be at the very tip top to keep the sensor from activating.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
So in this scenario:

Parked, no shorepower.
Start the generator.
Turn on the AC.
Start the engine.
Drive.

The AC stops when you start the engine? Start driving? Right away? After some time? Does just the AC stop? Or the generator?

The systems (generator - driving) should be independent. Something does seem wrong...
I'll add to this list:
"Parked, no shorepower.
Start the generator.
Turn on the AC.
Start the engine.
Drive."

Put wife in drivers seat,
Teach her to DRIVE!

This is not meant to be sarcasitc. It's meant to be a very important "plan B" just in case something happens to you while you're out on a trip. What happenes if you start to feel chest pains or, you can't operate the coach very well and, you're in the middle of NO WHERE? What I'm speaking of can be a whole new thread but, I thought I'd throw this in there so maybe your "Co-pilot" can see how important, being able to operate that coach, in the event you can't.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

In the warmer temps I usually run the generator to keep the basement AC cooling the coach. From what I understand the Generator uses about a gallon of fuel per hour to run the AC and the engine AC supposedly uses much more. In the cooler weather it is just the opposite as the engine heat is a benefit of the engine already running at no extra cost. My Wife is comfortable in the summer when I need to put on a jacket in the coach .
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

This sounds like my problem where a brand new generator would occasionally shut down after driving for a while. An Onan tech in California told me that the generator fuel pump has limited performance, and that sometimes an auxiliary fuel pump is needed if the generator is too far from the chassis gas tank. I added a supplementary fuel pump in the generator line, and the problem disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1eddoc View Post
Have a 2011 Vista. Generator/A-C won't run when going down the road.... any thoughts as to why the system shuts off? works great when engine is not on.
Jim
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
jim1eddoc, First the obvious, your coach does not have a ATC(Automatic Transfer switch) so when you unplug the power cord from the camp ground power pedestal you must plug it into the generator power cord rcp next to the power cord box.
Now if you are doing that check the generator start switch lights when the generator stops. They will flash a code that will indicate the cause of the generator stopping.
Also the Vista came standard with a 30 amp power supply. Thus, according to the manual, the rear A/C should be manually switched from powercord to generator when the generator is running and rear A/C on. See Section 4-11 of the owner's manual.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

follow up toa/c question/problem

as I stated in earlier post, the gen and air run perfectly while not moving with engine off. So... I drove about 20 minutes with gen running, then turned on the a/c which ran about 3 minutes and gen then shut down. I would think that if the gen would supply power to a/c while engine off and not moving, it would continue to run and provide power while moving. thoughts? what to check?
Jim
jim1eddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

jim1eddoc, OK start the generator, start the A/C then start the engine let it set for a few minutes. If everything keeps running starting driving an note when the generator stops, like a bump in the road. Is the generator running light flashing after the generator stops if so what is the code?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote